Chapter Four: Voices in My Head

Why am I so lonely?

Why am I so lonely?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was in Headmaster Dippet's office after Albus had whispered the password to head up into what I knew to be his own office. I was shocked. This was the place myself, and my sister's kids would go to all the time for closure or just to yell at the old bastard that Dumbledore had become around 60 years in the future. I decided to round up the 59.

He'd even caused the death of his own daughter indirectly.

I gaze up the office I was in, looking at it in strange apprehension.

I half expected Fawkes to show up and land on my shoulder. I missed that bird, I think, with another heavy sigh.

"Ms. Dumbledore?" Headmaster Dippet asks, and I stare at the older man in front of me, eyes searching his.

"Yes?" I muse, and he gestures to the stool.

"Have a seat so that the Sorting Hat can do its magic." He says, and I look at the familiar hat now so much less worn out and wrinkled.

My lips curve up in an involuntary smile, and I find myself being watched by both Headmasters.

I knew what house I'd be sorted into.

I was a Slytherin at heart.

All the dark magic I could control made me a shoo-in. During my first year, the sorting hat was resolutely deciding towards Hufflepuff but ended up going for Slytherin for some reason. I knew now why that was.

Dippet places the hat gingerly on my head, and I close my eyes, waiting for the Sorting Hat's voice to fill my head.

"Valentine Evans." It's voice crows, and I smile again.

"Hello, Sorting Hat." I think, and he searches through my memories, trying to get a glimpse of my character.

"All qualities of all the houses I see." He says, and I feel my brow crease in confusion. "You've done this before. Well, hello again." He chuckles, and I nod.