Chapter Seventy-Nine: Investigating Students

"I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light

"I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light."

― Helen Keller

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Is there alcohol provided here?" I ask the second I see her.

Claude bursts into laughter, covering up his laughs with a coughing fit. Greta and Gideon were trying to cover their smiles, and Lestrange had to look away from laughing so hard.

Slughorn looked confused. "I could ask the elves to bring some up?" He says, and I nod.

"Please." I nod.

"Aren't you in fourth year?" A boy across from me asks, and I look up to meet his dark brown eyes only to smile.

"There's adult supervision here." I hit back, and Slughorn nods.

"Yes. Yes. Don't worry! I'll care for all of you if you decide to drink." He smiles, waving his wave and asking for some alcohol from the elves.

Out of Tom's gang, only Mulciber, Hagrid and Rosier weren't here. "Where's the rest of your clique?" I hiss at Avery, who shrugs.

"Someone has to be in charge while we're away."

"How's Hagrid doing?" I ask him. He leans in to whisper into my ear.

"Good. Riddle finds him useful."

"For what?" I gape, concerned. He doesn't have a chance to answer because Slughorn had started up his questions.

"Well, Mr. Moody?" He asks, and the blonde boy in front of me turns to look at the professor. "How are your parents doing? Anything interesting over the summer?"

So this was the infamous Alastor Moody, Wallace's younger brother. He still had two eyes.

"Alastor's parents are infamous Aurors. The best of the best." Avery explains in a hush. My heart softens when I realize he was helping me not feel so confused.