Chapter Fifty-Four: An Inside Look

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Voldemort was becoming an Auror.

Great.

As if I needed any more indication of my immense failure in life...Tom freaking Marvolo Riddle, the darkest wizard of all time, was becoming an Auror....because of me.

Amazing.

Fantastic.

Simply Superb.

I was really doing such an astonishing job at this, saving the world thing.

I was going to go insane. I'm calling it from now.

I stroll into the Great Hall, ignoring the silence the erupts the second I walk in there like I'm Jesus freaking Christ or some shit.

I groan, marching over to Claude and Chris, who sat at the Gryffindor table. I sit in front of them and grab a chicken leg, just diving straight in.

"Val?" Claude asks, an amused smile on his lips. His hazel eyes stare at me, cautiously.

"I'm not going to explode Claude. Although I have to say, your parents are intense." I state, munching on my chicken leg.

He grins nodding. "They're amazing, aren't they?" He asks, and I raise a brow, forcing a smile. Yeah, so fabulous, all four of us had to make freaking unbreakable vows because of our arrogance and stupidity.

"Yeah, they are." I agree with him.

"They are such badasses." Chris agrees, his green eyes lighting up. "They've told me how they both single-handedly duelled a small army of Grindelwald's followers and managed to keep the muggles from finding out they almost died via magical means." He exclaims, handing me a goblet of juice with a concerned look at the chicken I was biting into like some werewolf in my anger.

"You alright, Val?" Chris asks, his voice kind. "You kind of looked like you got possessed." He winces at the term, and I look up at him, taking the goblet.

Ha. The irony.

"I'm fine," I reply after swallowing and gulping done the glass of water. "It was painful when I was rocking the flames, but I'm alright now," I state.

"What did my parents want with Riddle?" Claude asks. "The Aurors came in during class and took him away."

"They were questioning his testimony on what happened because he was on the front lines when the Fiendfyre attacked." I lie breezily.

"Do you think my moms will tell me about their investigation?" Claude asks, excited at the aspect, and I shrug, smiling.

"You should ask them. Might uncover something interesting." I state.

"Are you excited for summer?" Chris asks me, and I nod feverishly.

"Exceedingly. I just want to stay at home and not open any more books for months. Not bothering to do anything at all except eat and watch television." I groan, but Chris shakes his head.