Chapter 25: Surprise

And this is the chapter, The chapter that something many of you have been demanding will happen. . .

--------------------------------------------------------------

A small sigh escaped me as I stared up at the sky above me, My breath forming a puff of steam in the cold night air.

This is real. . . This is all real. . .

A small hope that this was just some bad dream had survived in my heart this whole time as every other hope seemed to be shattered around me.

I stared up at the tiny pin pricks of light in the dark never ending sky above me.

When I was younger, My mom would sneak me outside when dad would pass out drunk.

I'd always watch the stars as she would patch us both up.

We'd normally stay outside until I would eventually fall asleep to stories she'd come up with on the spot.

I would always wake up warm and safe in my bed, Prepared to forgive my dad and go back to my life like always.

One night, I had asked her what stars were.

'Oh well. . . You see, The stars are those who lived before us, All those who die go up to join each other in the stars, They stay up in the sky and watch over us' She had told me, Clearly coming up with the story on the spot.

Even thought I knew now that stars were nothing but burning balls of gas and other things in the vast expanse of space, I still tended to fall back on my mom's explanation.

Did any of you go through this?. . . What did you do. . . What should I do?

Of course, I didn't get an answer from them, I'm sure I would have freaked out if I did though. . .

A dejected feeling filled me as I let out another sigh, Shivering slightly as I hunched my shoulders against the cold, My head lowering to rest on my knees.

I was sitting with my legs pulled up to my chest in an attempt to keep the cold fall wind from stealing all of my body heat.

I had needed to get away from Miss Smith, The constant smiles and kindness she kept directing at me made me uncomfortable.

I can't escape. . . And even if I could where would I go? No one wants someone who ruins everything around. . .

The sound of the door behind me opening made me raise my head slightly, My body tensing up slightly out of habit, Preparing to be struck from behind.

Instead, A gentle gloved hand rested on my head.

I tilted my head back slightly, Briefly looking up at Emory, Confusion in my eyes before I snapped my gave away from his.

The way he stared at me, As if I was somehow important, Somehow special, It made me feel weird.

I slowly stood up, My eyes trained on the floor as I meekly walked over to stand in front of him.

Is he going to yell at me? Was I not supposed to go outside? Am I in trouble??

Panic was starting to grip at my heart as my frightened mind trying to figure out why he would be seeking me out.

''Come inside, You are going to catch a cold other wise'' Emory warned quietly, His voice a little bit rougher then normal.

I nodded numbly, My fear starting to ebb slightly as I allowed him to gently guide me inside by a arm around my shoulders.

It was a lot warmer inside, As much as I hated to admit it, I was glad he brought me back inside.

I sat down on the couch, Curling my legs up so my knees were pressed to my chest again.