Chapter 18: Dad. . .

Annnd, The good times are over. . .

-----------------------------------------------------

Emory had managed to convince me to take a few bites of the offered food.

That was a mistake.

I didn't really notice how nervous I was and how many knots my tummy was tying until I actually had food in there.

I was feeling like I was going to be sick, But I'd be dammed if I bothered anyone with that.

Just suck it up, You've handled worse. . .

''You had a talk with Paris?'' Emory asked after a while of silence, His eyes trained on my face.

It wasn't really a question seeing as he clearly knew the answer.

''Yeah. . .'' I answered back, Sticking to single word answers.

'Don't overshare, No one cares'

I glanced back over at the empty wall in my room, The familiar command echoing around in my head like a mantra.

''Do you feel any better?'' He asked, His hands clasped together in his lap patiently.

Do I feel better?

I felt my eyebrows furrow slightly as I thought briefly on that, Other than the normal feeling of uselessness and disappointment the only other negative thing I was dealing with was a sore tummy.

''A bit'' I said quietly, My hands moving to nervously rub at my arms.

He stared silently at me for a moment before he gently placed a gloved hand over mine, Stilling my movements.

''That is very good to hear'' He said slowly, Clearly thinking about something.

I didn't have to wait long to find out what was on his mind though.

''Aspen, There were a few things that showed up when the Ärzte were patching you up that I would like you to explain'' He said, His accent getting stronger as he spoke, Slipping up slightly.

The what now?

''Um. . . O-Okay'' I said timidly, Unsure about what he said or what he was talking about.

He clasped his hands together, Propping up his arms on his knees as he stared at me, His gaze stern.

''Where did you get all those bruises from?'' He asked, His eyes training on mine.

I stared back into his seemingly endless dark brown eyes, My brain starting to blank on excuses as a tingle started behind my eyes, Tears threatening to push past.

I couldn't keep up eye contact with him, Glancing away I muttered a quiet 'I fell'.

he was silent for a moment before he continued, ''Really? And did you somehow crack your ribs in this 'fall'?'' He asked, He did not sound happy.

''Yeah. . .'' I squeaked out, I was trying my best to hold back tears as he kept staring at me.

I wasn't really used to people paying attention to me, At least not in a positive way.

He stared at me silently for a long time before his hand moved back to mine, Gently squeezing at it.

''Than why are your bruises fresh yet your broken bones seem improperly healed?'' He asked, Pretty much nicely saying 'That's bullshit.'.

''I-I. . .'' I was considering saying I fell again, But my brain started to blank.

The tears I had been trying to keep back started to slip past my eyes, Leaving warm trails of water down my face.

He reached a gloved hand up towards my face.

When I flinched back slightly he didn't even pause, Instead he just gently wiped the tears off my face with pause.

Sighing, He got up after my tears seemed to have settled down.

''Rest, I will ask you again later when you are. . . Calmer'' He said gently, His hand moving to gently pat my head.

I wasn't stupid, I knew he just wanted to give me a break.

I kept my eyes trained on the bed as I listened to his footsteps retreat.

After a while, My breathing returned to normal.

What am I going to do?. . .

Looking down at my hands, I started to tune out the world.

If I tell him about what's happened to me I'll get taken away from them. . . I'll never see mom again. . .

If he even believes me than I'll end up tearing the family apart. . . I'll ruin everything. . .

If he doesn't believe me than my dad will find out what I told him and my life will be even worse. . .

Letting out a tired sigh, I rubbed at my eyes.

There is no way to win. . . I just have to deal with it. . . Just gotta suck it u-

There was slight noise outside my door before my dad stormed into the room, A nurse and the doctor following right behind him.

''Mr. Fir, I can't stress this enough, He needs to stay here'' Jack said, The poor doctor looked like he was in way over his head as he followed behind my dad.

''The boy's fine. He's just being pathetic.'' My dad snapped, Grabbing my arm roughly as he reached the bedside.

I looked down meekly, Grateful that I was wearing normal clothes and not a hospital gown right now.

''Get up boy.'' Dad snapped, Dragging me out of the bed as he spoke.

''Please sir, Reconsider'' Jack pretty much pleaded, Moving to stand between my dad and the exit.

''I'm his guardian. It's up to me if he stays here or not. And I say not.'' My dad snarled back, Pushing the man away from the door.

I kept my head down shamefully as he roughly dragged me out of the room.

His grip on my arm was hurting, Starting to cause bruising as he dragged me to the exit.

I could feel my mind retreating to it's safe numbness.

If I'm not here to be hurt than I can't be hurt. . .

I was roughly shoved into my dad's beat up car, My body thumping into the seat with a fair amount of force.

I kept my head lowered as I buckled myself in, I was interrupted in my task by my dad.

''Why bother putin' that on? Maybe ya should go without a seatbelt. Than I can make sure you actually die.'' He grumbled, Buckling himself in.

''Yes sir'' I repeated robotically, My voice tiny and muffled to my ears.

. . . Should have slit my wrists in the woods. . . No one would have saved me. . . Things would finally be good. . .

I could feel my throat tightening as my eyes burned with unshed tears.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Alright, Aspen is back in his dad's clutches. . . Any guesses what Emory's gonna do about it?

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen