Chapter 44: Sweet dreams

A little bit of fluff before things go downhill. . .

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Holding my arms close to my chest, I followed Emory down the hallway.

He didn't believe that I was fine, Resulting in him insisting I'm not allowed to sleep in the room I'd been sleeping in so far.

Currently, He was leading me back downstairs, Despite how late it was neither of us seemed as interested in sleep anymore.

Sitting down on the couch, I idly rubbed at my wrist, The scar that had healed over where I had once. . .'Damaged' myself made a long line from my wrist downwards.

The cold apathy was slowly starting to melt away, Being replaced with sadness.

Why am I sad? My day's been better than it normally is. . .

I was very confused why my emotions were being this way.

Why can't they just be simple and understandable. . .

Emory gently grabbed my hand, Making me pause as he moved my hand off of my wrist.

He sat down beside me on the couch, His hand holding onto mine.

I held still as he slowly and carefully pulled me closer until my head was resting on his shoulder.

The other man's warmth was slowly starting to seep past my skin, Calming me to an extent.

''Why. . .Can't I sleep in that room tonight?'' I asked quietly, Feeling like I was being entitled even as the very words left my mouth.

He's letting me stay here. . .I should just be grateful for that and not question him. . .

''You are acting different. . .It is for the best if you are not left alone tonight'' Emory explained slowly, His familiar accented voice slower than normal as if he was choosing his words carefully.

Oh. . .He's worried I'm going to 'try' again. . .Isn't he. . .

''Setzling. . .'' Emory muttered, Drawing me out of my guilt tinged thoughts.

What did he say?. . .Was. . .Was he insulting me? Is he mad?

I nervously looked up at Emory, All exhaustion gone from my mind now.

This rollercoaster of emotions was no doubt going to end badly for me.

''How about we sit together until you are tired'' Emory offered, His gloved hand moving to rest gently on my shoulder, Holding me close, His arm becoming like a pillow for me.

''Why?. . .'' I asked, Unsure why he'd be willing to stay up with me until I felt tired.

Emory looked down at me, His expression softening slightly.

He didn't answer my question, Instead, He gently tugged me closer so I was fully resting on him.

I could feel the tension in my body slowly starting to ebb away as Emory breathed calmly beside me, His heart beat a steady tempo.

''Would you enjoy watching a cartoon?'' Emory asked hesitantly, Nodding towards the tv as he spoke.

Would that be alright? . . . Do I even feel like that would cheer me up?

Shaking my head slightly, I closed my eyes.

''I-I just want to sleep. . .'' I whispered quietly, leaning closer to Emory on instinct.

He was warm, The room wasn't as warm. . .

''We can do that too then'' Emory muttered quietly, His accented voice soothing as his hand gently rubbed at my arm.

''Emory?'' I asked quietly after a while, I was starting to feel sleepy, But my thoughts were still swirling around in my mind.

I heard a hum from the dark eyed man, Quietly signaling for me to continue.

''Why. . .Why do you bother doing all this? Wouldn't it just be easier to only be in a relationship with Channing and Daniel?'' I asked quietly.

My half asleep brain was starting to realize why I had been so sad feeling since Emory spoke with Daniel again.

I had been jealous. . .Mostly because Daniel is clearly better than me, And so is Channing, It'd make sense for Emory to pick them over me.

''Yes, It would be'' Emory stated simply, Making my heart sink.

I was about to move away from him when he continued.

''But I do not care about it being easier.'' He continued, Causing me to hesitantly open my eyes.

He gave me a small smile, His expression kind like always.

''You are more than worth the effort'' He muttered, Trying to hold my gaze as I glanced back down at the floor, My face heating up and my heart pounding.

Snuggling closer to his side, I tried to calm my suddenly very awake brain.

''You're way too nice. . .'' I whispered quietly, My head resting on his chest as he gently ran his gloved fingers through me hair comfortingly.

Emory chuckled, His hand pausing to rest on my face.

He didn't say anything to that, Instead he just went back to running his gloved hand through my hair.

Gloves. . .Why does he always wear gloves? Is he cold?

Glancing tiredly up at Emory, I watched as his eyes were starting to close slightly, He was clearly tired.

Reaching up, I gently grabbed his hand before tugging it down to rest against my chest.

I was too tired to actually question him anymore, So, Instead, I decided to hold his hand in the hopes it'll keep them warm.

Emory let out a sigh before I felt his body relax the slightest bit.

''Go to sleep setzling, You will be tired tomorrow other wise'' Emory warned quietly, His voice sounding tired.

Sighing, I leaned in closer to Emory, My body feeling heavy.

''Good. . .Good night Emory'' I whispered quietly, Closing my eyes again as I spoke.

--- Time skip ---

I woke up hours later, Comfortably asleep in a warm bed.

 Looking around, I noticed I wasn't in the room I had been sleeping in lately.

The quiet sound of a sigh behind me made me roll over, My half asleep brain not fully understanding the danger I could be in.

Luckily, It was Emory in the bed behind me, His arm was lightly draped over my waist in a half hug of sorts.

I stared at him for a moment, He looked. . .Peaceful when he was sleeping.

Even the scar on his face didn't look nearly as harsh.

Sighing, I moved a little closer, Curling up against his chest.

I'm sure I'll be disappointed in myself come morning for taking un-deserved comfort. . .But for now. . .I'm too tired to care. . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bit of a softer chapter. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen