Act 2, chapter 4: Tattered seams

:D Bad feels on Aspen's part. . .But otherwise a step in the right direction!

----------------------------------------------------------------

''So here is where you have been hiding.'' Emory muttered quietly, Breaking the tense silence that had filled the air between us.

Swallowing nervously, I glanced over at him, Only to find he wasn't even looking at me, Just staring straight forwards, His arms crossed over his chest.

''I-'' I started only to realize I didn't know what to say to that.

What can I say? I was hiding after all. . .

Luckily. . .Or well, Unfortunately, Emory didn't have the same problem.

''Do you feel you are done now?'' He questioned quietly, Clearly, Still angry.

''D-Done with what?'' I asked so very quietly, Dreading his answer.

''Done running from me.'' He clarified, His tone stern and chastising.

I opened my mouth,  About to protest before catching a glimpse of his expression and thinking otherwise.

Lowering my head, I swallowed nervously, Wanting nothing more than to dart back out into the cold.

Sure I'd be freezing, But at least I wouldn't be near an angry Emory.

''I am going to assume you have not been living on the street'' He started, Seemingly studying my reaction before continuing ''You will tell me where you have been living. You will have half an hour to load what you can in this car. I will send a box truck to retrieve what remains''.

 I swallowed thickly at his curt and harsh words, My eyes tearing up ever so slightly.

''Please don't do this'' I whispered quietly, Shakily.

''I will call your work and have you removed from their work force'' He continued, Unfazed by my plea.

''Emory, Please stop'' I continued to plead, Tentatively reaching a trembling hand out towards him.

Finally, He turned his attention towards me. . .Which might not be a good thing.

He sighed quietly, Removing one of his gloves before reaching up to grab my slightly outstretched hand in his very much warmer one.

Firmly, He turned my hand over, Exposing my wrist to his view.

''I will not stop, Aspen.'' He informed me, Staring down at my covered wrist with a frown on his face.

Weakly, I tried to pull my hand from his grip as he reached out with his other hand to grab onto my rather threadbare jacket sleeve.

''Why. . .Why are you doing this?'' I questioned as he raised my sleeve, Revealing the new scars and still healing wounds that littered my skin.

My timid question earned me a stern look, A look that made me shrink in on myself even further.

He was silent for a long moment before he released my hand, Letting me tug it back to myself.

''I am sorry Aspen. . .I was wrong'' He muttered eventually, Confusing me.

Wrong about. . .What?

''I thought I could help you on my own. But clearly I can not. I will be contacting a professional to deal with you once we return home.'' He informed me coldly, His words distressing me even more.

Opening my mouth, I found no words.

My throat felt closed off and tight, As if I had something lodged in it.

He just stared at me silently, Watching my reaction for the longest time before closing his eyes and sighing.

Next thing I knew, He was reaching out and gently cupping my face with his other - Still gloved - hand, Tilting my face closer to him before a kiss was pressed to the top of my forehead.

''Things will not be the same, Things will probably be unpleasant for a while. I am sorry for that. But I am not going to loose you. Not again. Not to death. Do you understand sapling?'' Emory questioned quietly, His hand drifting down to firmly hold onto my chin, Keeping me from turning away from him.

I could faintly feel warmth sliding down my face as Emory's thumb gently brushed away the tears dripping from my eyes and trailing down my cheeks.

''Now then. Where have you been staying? I rather the two of us return home before midnight.'' He muttered after a while of silence, Once I more or less regained control of my tears.

Swallowing thickly, The thought to try and plead with him one last time before I sadly dismissed it.

He's not gonna budge on this. . .

''It's um. . .It's behind the projects on the north side. . .'' I explained very very quietly, Lowering my head as I spoke, Folding my hands in my lap, Nervously wringing my hands as I did so.

Emory's frown deepened at my answer, His hands tightening on the wheel slightly before stiffly loosening.

I could practically hear him counting to ten in his head before he nodded slightly.

''Put your seat belt on'' He murmured quietly, Already shifting gears as he spoke.

I hurried to comply as he started the drive to my. . .Sad excuse of a home.

It does it's best. . .I could be living in much worse conditions. . .I should be grateful. . .

That line of thinking did nothing to diminish my embarrassment and shame when Emory parked in front of the very visibly unsafe apartment complex.

He was polite enough to remain silent as I led him up to my equally run down room. . .But that didn't change the fact that he stuck very close to me as we walked, His hand on his taser.

''This. . .This is my home'' I explained very very quietly once my door opened, Leading him inside as I spoke.

My 'home' was barely warmer than the outside air. . .And that was only because the very thin walls blocked the wind.

Emory was frowning slightly as he looked around my apartment, Slowly closing the front door behind him as I nervous wrung my hands. . .Waiting.

After a few tense moments, He glanced back over at me.

''Gather a few items you want to take back home. I will wait'' He murmured quietly, Moving back to lean against the wall next to the front door.

Swallowing nervously, Dejectedly, I slowly set about gathering what few items I could hold. . .

Mostly blankets and a change or two of clothes.

Guess it's back to being stuck as a burden. . .

---------------------------------------------------------------------

:)

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen