Chapter 27: Restless

And back to nervous feelings and stress.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I slept restlessly that night, I was too busy worrying about my mom, About what would happen to me now, What this all meant for the future. . .

After a while I had fallen asleep, My dreams tormented by nightmares all night long.

I eventually woke up from yet another nightmare, My heart racing as I sat up in the dark bedroom I had slept in before.

I couldn't remember what I had been dreaming, All I remembered was the feeling of being helplessly afraid.

I tugged the blanket around me in a little cocoon as I sat up in bed, Staring out into the dark room.

I forced myself to try and breath evenly, My heart racing fearfully as a tiny voice in the back of my mind kept chanting 'Not safe' over and over again.

After a while of sitting afraid in the dark, I heard quiet footsteps pass the door.

My heart stuttered slightly in fear.

Did dad escape? Is he here to-

I shut down that line of thought instantly, I was thinking irrationally.

Still, I slowly got out of bed, Shivering slightly as I left the warm blanket.

I cautiously opened the door and made my way downstairs.

Walking into the kitchen, I spotted Emory.

Must have been him I heard. . .

He was sitting at the kitchen table, Calmly drinking a cup of coffee, Clearly not fully awake yet.

''Mm, Good morning Aspen'' He greeted, His voice a lot deeper, His accent stronger as he was still waking up.

''M-Morning'' I muttered back nervously.

I remained in the door way as Emory seemed to study me from his seat in the kitchen.

''Did you not sleep well?'' He asked quietly, His eyes training on my face.

''N-No, I slept. . . Fine'' I lied, Not wanting to burden him with my problems.

He arched an eyebrow, But didn't call me out on my lie.

He got up silently, Going back over to the coffee pot.

I watched as he poured a new cup of coffee before putting a lot of sugar in it.

I didn't take him as a sugar person. . .

Much to my surprise, He placed the cup down in front of me.

I looked up at him, Confused as he sat back down in the chair across from me.

''You look like you need this'' He said calmly, Going back to drinking his coffee.

I nodded slightly in thanks, Sitting down and carefully picking up the very warm, Nearly hot cup.

I hadn't had coffee before, I was both curious and weary of the warm drink.

It was slightly bitter and watery, But it didn't taste that bad. . .

Emory had left to go get ready for the day, Leaving me alone with my thoughts.

The cup of coffee in my hands had gone cold by now but I hadn't really noticed.

I was just staring apathetically into it's amber-y depths.

My head wasn't filled with thoughts, At least not coherent ones that is.

It was just emotions, Emotions without any explanation or reason flowed through me.

I felt sad, My limbs felt heavy but more so, I felt tired, So tired and so just. . . Done, Done with everything.

I shook myself out of the funk I was in as I heard the sound of Emory's foot steps approaching me.

I jumped slightly when he gently patted me on my head.

I had felt slight tingles race across my head at the contact.

He's not wearing his gloves?

I watched him in surprise as he went back tot he kitchen and started making two ham and cheese sandwiches.

''Go get ready for the day Aspen'' Emory said calmly, Not even turning around.

I got up, Sparing him another glance.

His hands were covered completely with thin scars.

That looks painful. . .

Glancing at the clock on the stove, I realized, I was gonna be late for school if I kept just lollygagging around.

--- Time skip ---

I sat quietly in the passenger seat as Emory parked the car in the school parking lot.

He was wearing his normal gloves, His hands fully covered again.

I really didn't want to get out of the car, Didn't want to go into school and face all those judging looks. . .

I jumped slightly yet again as Emory rested his hand on my shoulder.

''You alright?'' He asked quietly, His eyes trained on mine.

Swallowing nervously, I nodded before forcing a smile on my face.

''Y-Yeah, Thanks for driving me here. . .'' I said quietly, Adding on the last part out of politeness.

He gave me a small smile that didn't reach his eyes, He still looked concerned.

''Have a good day at school'' He said slowly, Still watching me worriedly.

Huh. . . I think I'm getting better at reading his expressions. . .

''Thanks. . .You. . . You too at you know, Work'' I said awkwardly as I stepped out of the car, Wanting to end this conversation and get this surely hellish day over with.

I hurried into school as soon as I finished speaking, I could feel someone watching me as I did so.

It's just Emory I'm sure. . . I don't think he believes my lies. . .

Shrugging off the feeling of eyes following me, I hurried into the mostly empty school building.

I wasn't here as early as I normally am, But I was still early enough that not many people were here.

Even though the halls weren't crawling with kids, I still kept my head down as those who were here paused to stare.

I honestly felt like a sign was taped to my back that was just declaring what I had tried to do to the whole world.

I could feel my fight or flight response kick in as I walked further into the school.

I didn't feel safe. 

I'm not safe. . .

I wanted to hide.

I need to hide. . .

With that in mind, I turned on my heel and hurried out of school.

Despite the small voice in my mind scolding me for ditching, I continued to hurry down the sidewalk, Heading to the forest I felt safe in.

I just can't, I can't deal with this today. . .

---------------------------------------------------------------

So. . . Aspen is falling back down the mental pit he fell down before, Any guesses how it's gonna go this time?

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen