Chapter 36: Talk

Annnd words!

---------------------------------------------------------------

''Well, This is an. . .Interesting turn of events!'' Daniel said, His cheerful voice sounding a bit more forced then it normally does.

''This is a sucky turn of events.'' Channing growled out before instantly being chided by Daniel.

''Language! There is no need to be so. . .So. . .Crass'' Daniel scolded before there was a quiet knock on the classroom door, Reminding everyone that we were yelling this all out. Inside a classroom.

''Uh, Are we having school today or are you guys just gonna be doing. . . 'This' all day?'' Toby asked slowly, Concern in his eyes as he looked over at me.

I could feel my face flushing slightly in shame as I realized we had just made our troubles very public.

''Of course we're having school today, Don't be silly'' Daniel said cheerfully, His normal overly bright smile returning again.

''Come along Aspen'' Emory muttered quietly, His hand moving to the small of my back as he started to head towards the classroom door.

''What? Um excuse me but where exactly are you taking him?'' Daniel asked, His cheerfulness faltering slightly.

Emory spared a glance back at the other man, A frown slowly working it's way onto his face.

''I am taking him with me, It does not appear safe for him here'' Emory stated simply, His hand pulling me a little closer to himself, As if he was trying to shield me.

Daniel opened his mouth, About to say something but before he could, The first of the kids came into the classroom.

That seemed to break everyone from whatever spell was keeping us here.

And just like that Emory was ushering me out of the classroom.

I kept my head down as we walked past a few kids who instantly started to stare.

This can't be a good sign at all. . .

Emory pulled me a little closer to himself at that, Providing a bit of comfort for me.

''Where. . .Where are we going?'' I asked him quietly once we were further away from the other kids.

''We are going down to the station'' Emory informed me calmly as he led me outside and back to the car.

I nodded silently as I got in the car, Keeping my head down as nerves started to build up in my chest.

''Why. . .Why can't I just go to school?'' I asked quietly as Emory started up the car.

He was silent for a moment, As if trying to find a way to answer that.

Eventually, He let out a heavy sounding sigh, His eyes still trained on the road and the cars in front of us.

''I know that. . .Boy. . .Is very. . . un-kind to you'' Emory started slowly, His grip on the steering wheel tightening slightly as he paused.

''Kleiner Dämon eines Kindes'' He muttered quietly under his breath before continuing.

''I had assumed that the teacher would have at least disciplined him for his actions. . .'' Emory continued before trailing off slightly.

''He didn't know. . .He only saw Channing insult me a few times before today. . .It's not his fault. . .'' I muttered quietly as I stared down at my hands, Nervously twisting them as I could feel my heat beat slowly rising to my throat.

I don't want anyone getting in trouble because of me. . .

''Is it not also his job to watch over the kids he teaches while they are in his care?'' Emory asked quietly, Causing me to glance up at him nervously.

''I- I don't know. . .Maybe?'' I answered hesitantly, My voice shaking slightly.

Is he angry that I didn't want Mr. Camp to get in trouble?

I heard him let out another heavy sigh before I jumped slightly when he rested his hand heavily on top of my head.

He gently ruffled my hair before moving his hand back to the steering wheel.

I could feel heat starting to slowly rise up my face.

Lowering my head, My face felt like I was standing over an open oven.

The silence that had hung over us earlier returned, This time it was a bit more comfortable.

--- Time skip ---

The woods around me seemed to rustle quietly.

How did I get here?

Looking at the trees around me, I couldn't see any clear path into this sickly looking forest.

Oh right. . .It's this place again. . .

Sighing, I tugged my shirt sleeves down over my hands slightly, Not fully sure anything in here was safe to touch. . .

Might not be a good idea to breath the air here. . .Everything looks. . .Sick. . .

Despite that, I didn't even try to shield my mouth or nose somehow.

Dying in these woods wouldn't inconvenience anyone. . .My body would just decay here. . .Might even help one of these trees out. . .I'm sure they'd love some food. . .

The quiet sound of something hard striking a stone made me turn around.

The odd eyed deer was back.

''Oh. . .It's just you. . .'' I whispered quietly as it stared at me, It's antlers coated in some sort of draping moss.

I watched as it shook it's head slightly before trotting off deeper into the woods.

Sighing, I carefully followed behind it.

Following it worked last time. . .

I glanced around at a few trees as we walked, They looked even worse off then last time I was here.

I kinda felt sorry for them, All the trials and suffering they had to endure. . .Only to be kicked down even further by life.

''Why do you choose to live here?'' I asked quietly, Making the deer pause.

I stopped as well, Not wanting to spook it as it turned to stare at me.

''It just. . .Seems like everything here wants to give up except you, Why would. . .You wanna live around here?'' I asked it quietly, Small tears starting to form in my eyes.

Guess I have something in common with these trees. . .

I didn't know why, But my throat was starting to feel a little tight with emotions.

The deer let out a sighing sound before suddenly the world around me started to shake, My vision going dark at the edges.

--- ---

''Aspen, We are at the station Setzling'' Emory said quietly, Jarring me from my dreams.

What. . .Did he say?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Annd a late chapter. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen