Chapter 70: Insecure

:D Lil' bit of chaos time??

--------------------------------------------------------

Emory had been curious about my day, Slowly coaxing any and all interesting things that had happened out of me.

He seemed pleased that I had a good day, Surprised and happy that I had made friends.

By the end of dinner, My mouth was surprisingly dry due to how much I have spoken in such a short amount of time.

Emory and I had curled up together on the couch after dinner when Emory's phone started to ring like crazy yet again.

He had an amused look on his face until he read who was calling.

Slowly, He got up, Quietly speaking to the person on the other side of the phone.

Curiously, I sat up, Watching him over the back of the couch.

He didn't seem very happy, If anything, He seemed concerned.

That. . .Didn't bode well at all.

''Alright, I am on my way'' I heard him mutter before he hung up his phone and headed upstairs hurriedly.

That was concerning.

The happy bubbly feeling I had been feeling all day was very quickly withering away, Back to the concern and stress I was used to.

What's going on? Is something bad happening?

Slowly, I climbed off of the couch, Holding the fluffy green blanket tightly around my shoulders as I made my way to the bottom of the stairs.

A few seconds later and Emory was coming back down the stairs, His uniform on and his gun already holstered.

He had a stormy look on his face, Making my body tense.

I don't remember seeing him looking this. . .Upset. . .

Seeing him like this was scary to me. . .

I backed away from him when he turned to face me, My old habits of making myself small and staying out of the way, Resurfacing now.

He frowned slightly before taking a careful step closer to me, One hand reaching slowly out to me.

I held still as he rested his hand at the small of my back.

''I have something to deal with, I will be back soon'' He promised, His hand gently rubbing light circles on that small of my back.

Nodding, I kept my eyes on the ground before jolting slightly as warm soft lips pressed to my forehead.

''Do not wait up'' He ordered warmly before putting his hat on and heading out the front door.

I hung back close to the stairs as Emory locked the door behind himself.

A wobbling frown formed on my face as yet again, The house seemed far too big without Emory here.

Nervously, I held the blanket tighter around myself before returning to the couch, Curling up into a blanket ball in one of the couch's corners.

I felt a little safer. . .Still felt uneasy though.

--- Time skip ---

I must have fallen asleep, As the sound of someone knocking loudly and quickly on the front door made me jolt awake.

Confused and slightly dazed, I was halfway to the door before I realized, Emory has a key, He wouldn't be knocking on the door to get in.

But by now, Where I was standing, Anyone at the door could easily make out someone inside. . .

Hesitantly, I started to approach the door again as the knocking continued, Louder this time.

My eyes widened slightly as I looked through the little peephole in the door.

Knowing who was on the other side, I still was very weary when I opened the door.

''Aspen?'' Channing snapped out, Looking shocked and a little bit annoyed to see me here.

I was currently keeping the door barely open, Just enough for me to see him.

He looked more. . .Flustered than he typically does.

''W-What?'' I asked hesitantly, My voice wobbling slightly.

Emory wasn't here to protect me. . .No one was. . .

''Where the hell is the German.'' Channing instantly demanded, His blunt and pissed off tone rubbing me the wrong way.

That and, Emory. Has. A. Name.

''Emory's n-not here right now'' I muttered, Putting a bit more force into Emory's name as I spoke, Closing the door a fraction more.

''Well where the fuck is he.'' The other boy demanded, Grabbing onto the doorknob while he spoke, Forcing the door open a bit more.

''I-I don't know. . .'' I muttered, Shrinking in on myself a bit more.

That caused the other boy to sneer at me, Disgusted.

''Of fucking course you don't. Why am I not surprised.'' He growled out, Dragging a hand through his hair out of frustration.

Before anything else could happen, A car pulled into the driveway.

My eyes widened slightly as Emory stepped out of his car, That wasn't the surprising thing.

The surprising thing was that I could see some blood on him.

Is. . .Is he hurt?

That concerned me.

I got even more concerned when he started to approach Channing and I, The dark stormy look still on his face.

Channing hadn't noticed him yet.

''I swear. You're such a waste of oxygen.'' Channing continued as Emory stopped behind him.

The brown eyed man slowly arched an eyebrow at that statement before clearing his throat loudly.

Channing spun around quickly at that, Releasing the door.

''E-Emor-'' Channing started to sputter out in surprise before Emory very calmly walked past him.

''Are you alright?'' He questioned me as I opened the door a little bit further, Allowing the much taller man to come in.

I nodded, Not trusting my voice to not shake if I were to speak.

The feeling of relief I was feeling now that Emory was with me again was practically palpable.

Slowly, I moved slightly so I was standing beside Emory instead of hiding behind him.

I felt safer with him here. . .

''Why are you here Channing.'' Emory questioned, His arm looping around my waist in a comforting grip as he spoke.

Much to my confusion, Channing looked slightly flustered at that question before he quickly became indignant.

''Why the hell do you think! I want to to remove the ring from me.'' Channing snapped out, Confusing me further.

A. . .Ring?. . .Did. . .Did Emory propose to him?. . .Is Channing really so much better then I that Emory would propose to him?. . .

---------------------------------------------------------

Late chapter. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen