Chapter 89: Stars

:)

-----------------------------------------------------

The animal shelter was a nice place, Everyone there was friendly and above all else, Quiet.

It was nice.

Daniel stayed by my side and introduced me to everyone, A cheerful, Dirt stained guide to this entirely new place.

He and I worked together to settle the mama cat and her kittens into their new, Temporary home.

They were. . .Fairly nice.

Daniel told a few jokes, Told a few sweet and or funny stories and just in general, Kept talking quietly to both the cats and me until all of us felt better, Happier.

I was so absorbed in our conversations that I didn't even notice the time passing.

Apparently, The sun had set while Daniel and I were introducing the cats to their new home.

I have been out of school for nearly three hours now.

My stomach was twisting with nerves as soon as I realized that fact. . .And that Emory was sure to be mad by now.

I swallowed thickly, Feeling a bit queasy before a gloved hand gently rested on top of my head.

''You alright there buddy? You're looking a bit green around the gills so to speak'' Daniel pointed out, Giving me a small little smile as he spoke.

''Yeah. . .I-I'll be fine'' I whispered, My voice wobbling a bit.

I'm so far away from school now. . .By the time I get back I'll be even later. . .Emory will be so mad. . .I'm so dead. . .Maybe I should just go into the woods-

''Sorry for keeping you for so long, I'm sure your. . .Boyfriend? Is missing you, Do you want me to drive you to where he was going to pick you up?'' Daniel offered kindly, His words unknowingly making my heart clench in my chest as he interjected over my thoughts.

He's not missing me. . .Why would he miss someone he's disappointed in. . .

''Sure. . .Thank you'' I whispered, Hanging my head as I followed him to his lovely blue car.

Daniel was happily commenting on how pretty the night sky was tonight. . .

And you know what. . .He wasn't wrong. . .It is a very pretty night sky.

''Oh look! You can even see Orion!. . .Or well, I'm pretty sure that's Orion. . .Maybe that's the big dipper. . .'' Daniel mused quietly as he started up his car before turning his attention towards the road.

I hummed slightly at that, A bit curious. . .I've never really learned much about the stars.

''Have you ever heard the Greek myth about Orion?'' Daniel asked, Making me smile slightly at the promise of a distraction.

--- Time skip ---

I was sleepy by the time we arrived at my old school, Daniel apparently has a very soothing voice when he gets talking about something.

It was calming, And nice.

But like always, Good things came to an end.

We arrived at my new school, Hours now after it had closed it's doors for the night.

There were no cars in the parking lot, Not even the janitor's car was here anymore.

Emory wasn't here either. . .Which. . .Was to be expected. . .It was very late after all. . .

''Oh. . .No one's here. . .Are you sure you want to be dropped off here?'' Daniel asked, Concern in his typically happy voice.

I nodded slightly, My heart twisting a bit in my chest.

''Thanks. . .Home's not too far away though. . .And. . .And I like walking anyways'' I whispered quietly in assurance.

Daniel still looked concerned but didn't stop me from getting out of his car.

''Um. . .Thank you. . .For driving me here'' I murmured meekly, About to close the door before Daniel spoke up.

''If you want, I can follow you until you get home just to be sure you get there safely'' Daniel offered, To which I just shook my head.

''T-Thanks, But no thanks. . .I-It's really not far'' I explained quietly, A small shiver making it's way down my spine thanks to how cold it was out tonight.

Daniel opened his mouth, About to say something before stopping, Noticing something on my face that made him pause.

Thankfully, He didn't press any further, Just gave me a small, Sad smile.

''Have a good night'' He murmured as I slowly started to walk back to Emory's home.

It was a long and cold walk, But, I sort of dreaded the end of said walk.

Emory's going to be mad. . .He's going to tell me he's disappointed in me again. . .

My thoughts swirled with sadness and stress the entire time I walked, I was so consumed in my thoughts that I didn't even notice a car slowing down to slowly drive beside me.

''Aspen Fir?'' A familiar voice questioned suddenly, Making me jump slightly.

It was Tim Saw, The officer that had visited our classroom with Emory.

He and another officer were in a squad car slowly driving beside where I was walking.

Oh no. . .

Slowly, The squad car parked beside where I had stopped.

''Why don't you hop on in now'' He requested calmly, His request sounding a lot more like an order.

I'm in so much trouble. . .

Reluctantly, I obeyed and got into the back of the squad car.

Neither Tim or the other officer said anything to me as they drove me to where ever they were going.

Eventually though, I started to recognize where we were going.

My heart sunk even further as the squad car pulled onto Emory's property.

It was very late by now.

The car pulled to a stop next to Emory's car.

''C'mon kiddo'' I heard Tim murmur as I hesitantly climbed out of the car.

Slowly, I followed beside him, My heart pounding away loudly in my ears.

I kept my eyes trained on the ground as he knocked on the front door.

It opened nearly instantly.

''Hey Emory, Found him'' I distantly heard Tim say before he proceeded to explain where and how they found me.

I blinked a few times, My vision blurring as unshed tears formed.

''Thank you Tim, Come inside Aspen'' Emory murmured, His voice rougher than normal.

I caught a glimpse of his hands as he ushered me inside.

His knuckles were red, As if he had been punching something. . .

I tried to swallow around the knot of fear in my throat as Emory closed the door behind me.

I was trapped in here with him. . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------

:)

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen