Chapter 23:

And here we go. . . A bit of a filler chapter before more drama :)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel and Channing had hurried out of the classroom a while ago, From what the eleventh grade teacher who had to replace Daniel said, They apparently had to head to the principal's office.

The rest of the school day was actually surprisingly easy once Channing was gone doing who knows what with Daniel.

It helped a little seeing as were doing eleventh grade school work instead of the twelfth grade work we'd normally have to do.

At least I don't have to make it blindingly obvious I never really learned most of the stuff that I was supposed to.

Turns out it's very hard to do homework at home when you're trying to not get noticed by a drunk and very angry dad.

Despite the easier time in school, I still felt stressed and I apparently wasn't doing a good job of hiding it.

''So I take it Mr. Miller wasn't nice to you?'' Toby asked, Pulling me from my worried thoughts.

I hadn't realized I had been tuning out the world again until I looked around and found myself in the cafeteria with no memory of walking here.

''N-No, He. . . He was fair'' I said, Not really wanting to say, 'Yeah he took me back to his place and trapped me inside so I couldn't stop a police raid on my home'.

Toby arched an eyebrow before taking another bite of his sandwich.

''That's not what I asked'' He said in a slightly sing songy voice, Grinning over at me as he spoke.

''He-He's nice'' I muttered quietly, Staring straight ahead at the paper bag lunch Emory had made for me.

''Are we talking about your version of nice or normal people's version of nice?'' Toby checked, Tilting his head slightly to the side.

''T-There's a difference?'' I asked quietly, Keeping my hands folded in my lap.

Toby just rolled his eyes slightly before giving me a patient smile as he noticed my hands nervously wringing each other in my lap.

''Yes, Most people would consider someone pushing them down the stairs to be 'not nice''' Toby said, Giving me a look at that.

I felt my face heat up, My eyes sheepishly staring down at the table.

''I was in his way, Besides, He helped me back up after wards'' I said meekly, Defending Channing's past actions.

''He only helped you up because a teacher was coming our way, Now back to my question, Your version of nice or normal people's version of nice?'' Toby said, Dragging me back on track.

''Normal people's version of nice? I think?'' I said slowly, Unsure what that really meant.

Toby just nodded slowly before tossing an apple to me.

I flinched slightly, Letting the apple just hit me in the chest lightly.

Toby gave me a sympathetic look before nodding to the apple, ''Eat that seeing as you don't seem to want to even look in the bag'' He said, Going back to his own food.

''Thanks'' I whispered quietly, Biting into the crisp and sweet apple.

--- Time skip ---

I slowly stepped out of school with the rest of the class, Choosing to not hang behind for once.

I wanted to see if I couldn't head back to my home.

I was hoping that maybe, Just maybe, That the raid had somehow been called off.

Sure if that was the case, My dad would be pissed, But rightfully so!

I caused so much trouble, If I had just been stronger, Grateful for what he's given me, Than none of this would have ever happened.

I kept my eyes on the ground as I kept walking down the sidewalk, My shoulders feeling as if I was carrying so much weight on them.

The now familiar car that Emory drives wasn't any where in sight.

He must be on his way here. . . I better hurry then.

I shivered in the surprisingly cold fall air, Regretting the choice to not bring Emory's jacket with me.

No no, I've already caused him enough trouble, Once I'm home he won't have to waste time on me anymore. . .

 I raised my head, Forcing myself to bear the cold wind that stung and lashed out at my face with it's icy like claws.

My breath puffed in the air around me like smoke curling from a dragon's maw, Pretty yet misplaced.

I'm more so the rabbit that is eaten by a dragon than any fearsome beauty of old tales. . .

A bitter huff escaped my lips at that, The idea of a dragon even refusing to eat me for being too pathetic flashed before my eyes.

I doubt I'd even be good food for some carnivore. . .

As I was distracted by that thought, I barely walked past my home.

Turning my attention to the building, I felt my heart sink as I saw police tape covering the door and windows.

It really did happen. . .

After a while of staring at in shocked dismay, I heard a car pull up to the side of the street behind me.

I didn't bother taking my eyes off of the house.

If it was a killer then I'd happily accept death, If it was one of the neighbors than nothing shoulder happen.

I closed my eyes, Still shivering as I heard the car door close.

Footsteps approached me where I stood stock still.

Guess it is a murderer. . .

I tensed up my shoulders, Bracing for a knife to be impaled in my ribs.

Instead a warm coat was settled over my shoulders.

I looked up, Startled as my attention turned to Emory.

''H-How. . . How did you find me?'' I asked quietly, My shock drawing the stuttered words out of me.

''You were not in school, This seemed like the only other place you would visit'' He said simply, His deep accented voice actually sounding nice to my ears.

''Oh'' I whispered quietly, Looking back to the ground as I spoke that single word.

He remained silent beside me, Not saying anything but just waiting, His body blocking some of the cold and wind the coat didn't manage to.

''What happens now?'' I asked him quietly, My voice barely audible as it wavered in the cold wind swept air.

He was silent for a moment before gently placing his hand at the small of my back, Steering me to his car, ''Now, We head home'' He stated simply.

But. . . What is my home now?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So, Aspen is questioning things, Any guesses what Emory's going to do about Aspen's constant escape attempts?

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen