Chapter 88: Fragile

:) Here we go. . .

--------------------------------------------

I put my clothes from my sleepover away in a daze, Just going through the motions.

My chest felt hollow, Like someone had reached past my ribs and ripped my heart right through.

Once I was done putting it all away, I flopped down in bed, Curling up in a tight ball under the blankets.

A small shuddering sigh left me, Tears still dripping from my eyes.

I thought he'd always be on my side. . .

My heart was twisting tightly in my chest.

I thought. . .

Turning my head slightly, I let out a small broken, Choked whimper like sound, Burying my face in a pillow in an attempt to muffle it.

He's not on my side. . .Is he. . .

I wrapped my arms around myself in a pathetic attempt at a hug, Snuggling down deeper into the blankets.

Distantly I heard the front door unlocking.

Hurriedly, I scrubbed at my face, Trying to dry the tears as I heard someone move around downstairs.

I stilled in the bed, Trying to appear asleep.

My heart was still aching so much. . .

The last thing I wanted to do was to have to talk to Emory right after what he said. . .I doubted I would even be able to look at him without breaking down.

It took a moment, But the door to the bedroom eventually opened as Emory stepped inside.

''Aspen?'' I heard him call out quietly as he stepped closer into the room, Moving to stand next to where I was pretending to sleep.

He was silent for a moment before he let out a small sigh, Moving about the bedroom as he got ready for bed.

I did my best to hold still the entire time, My heart pounding away in my chest, A few more tears slipping down my face despite my best effort.

Luckily, Emory didn't notice as he settled in on the other side of the bed.

My whole body tensed up as Emory leaned over me a bit.

He proceeded to press a gentle kiss to my head, Muttering a quiet 'Sweet dreams' before laying back down.

I continued to pretend to sleep until his breathing evened out, Signaling he was actually asleep.

He wasn't cuddling with me. . .He didn't even try to cuddle with me. . .

I. . .Didn't want to sleep in the same room as Emory. . .I didn't want to wake up in the morning and have to talk with him.

He's going to still be mad. . .

Carefully, Nervously, I climbed out of bed, Slipping my way out of our shared bedroom.

Did Channing sleep in our bedroom? . . .He probably did. . .Didn't he. . .

My heart hurt over that thought as I made my way over to the second bedroom, The one without windows.

Climbing into bed, I curled up into a ball, Pulling the blanket up around my neck.

Slowly, I drifted off to sleep, Tears slipping out of my eyes all the while.

--- Time skip ---

Slowly, I woke up to the quiet sound of someone cooking downstairs.

My throat was sore and my mouth was dry from all the crying I did.