Chapter 33: Storms

And. . .Well. . .You'll see. . .

------------------------------------------------------------

I sniffled quietly, My head buried in my arms as I sat huddled underneath one of the desks in the empty classroom.

I didn't know how long I had been in here, Just sitting, Crying.

The emotions that had been squeezing at my heart was the only thing I felt after a while.

And even then, Slowly, They faded, Leaving an empty hollow feeling in my chest.

After a long while, I heard the door to the classroom open.

I hugged my knees to my chest a little tighter, Bracing for someone to mock me, To yell at me.

I held my breath slightly as the slow, Stead sound of footsteps approached the desk I was under.

I didn't bother lifting my head from my arms, I didn't want to have to see whoever was here to berate me.

There was the sound of rustling fabric as whoever was here crouched down.

Next thing I know, A gloved hand firmly grabbed me by my arm.

I slowly looked up as my arm was turned over, Revealing my wrist.

''I-I didn't. . .'' I squeaked out quietly as I looked up at Emory.

Emory had a grim look on his face as he examined my arm, He did the same to my other arm before finally turning his attention away from checking for wounds.

''You did not?'' He checked, His voice quiet but gruffer then normal.

I glanced down at the ground, Unable to make eye contact with him.

I heard a small sigh before he rested his hand on my head.

''Good'' He praised quietly before getting up.

I slowly crawled out from under the desk, Hints of shame starting to cling to the empty void in my chest.

''Time to head home'' Emory muttered quietly, Placing a hand at the small of my back like he had done when we entered the school this morning.

I nodded nervously, Fully expecting to see a few kids when we left the class room.

Instead of the crowded halls I expected to see, I was instead faced with an empty school.

Well, A mostly empty school.

Toby stood off to the side of the door, Worriedly watching me.

''I'm sorry Aspen. . .I was ordered to show him where you were. . .'' He whispered quietly to me, Guilt lacing his voice.

I gave him a tiny, Frail smile, Trying to convey that it was okay.

I didn't know if it worked or not, And I wasn't able to stay and find out as Emory continued to lead me towards the school exit. . .

Stepping outside with Emory, My eyes widened slightly at the eerie yellowish tint to the world.

A storm. . .A big one is on it's way. . .

You could feel the building electricity in the air as an unnatural silence filled the air as well.

I let out a small shaky breath, Staring up at the yellow tinted dark grey storm clouds above.

It's warmer out now. . .

''Aspen'' Emory muttered quietly, Catching my attention.

We were back at his car now.

Emory had the passenger side door open for me.

I gave him a small grateful nod before slipping into the car.

I kept my head down as I listened to him get into the car, We both buckled our seatbelts before he started up the car, Pulling out of the parking lot.

We both remained silent as the sky above started to quietly rumble.

''I-I'm sorry'' I whispered quietly after a long moment of silence.

I kept my gaze trained on my hands as Emory remained silent for a while longer.

''You are sorry for what?'' He asked quietly, His voice still gruffer sounding.

''F-For hiding. . .'' I muttered quietly, Nervously starting to wring my hands.

Emory was silent beside me again for a while, Causing my nerves to spike.

I felt the empty feeling growing with each second of silence before Emory finally spoke.

''Why did you hide?'' He asked, His question making my heart sink.

I opened my mouth, About to explain what happened before I stopped myself.

They might get in trouble. . .It's not their fault I can't take a joke. . .It's my fault. . .

I closed my mouth, Looking away and out the window, My head lowered slightly in shame.

I heard Emory sigh quietly before the tense silence filled the car again.

I could hear the thunder rumbling above.

A moment later, As the car pulled past the gate, The first drops of rain started to fall like tears dripping from the clouds above.

Emory hurried me inside as the sky started to break open in a downpour.

We only got mostly wet.

I shivered slightly as I waited in the hallway.

I didn't want to track water through the house, Emory had headed upstairs to get some towels to dry us both off.

A moment later, My vision was blocked as a towel was tossed over my head, Making me flinch.

I tugged it off, Blinking up at Emory before looking back down at the ground.

''Thanks'' I whispered quietly before starting to towel off my hair.

--- Time skip ---

The storm was still raging on outside.

Both Emory and I had settled down under some blankets by now.

The suffocating feelings I had felt had slowly died down until they were numb and heavy inside me.

The sound of the rain pounding down on the roof and the walls soothed me a bit.

It was a repetitive sound I could easily get lost in, Letting it wash over me, Silencing both my thoughts and emotions.

I didn't know when, But I must have nodded off seeing as after the rain finished, I slowly woke up.

I blinked slowly as I started to wake up.

There was a weight over my shoulders as whatever I was laying on slowly moved up and down.

I could faintly hear a heart beat.

I sighed at the warmth and safety that seemed to slowly be filling me.

Had I opened my eyes, I would have realized that I was sleeping curled up against Emory.

As it was though, I simply drifted back to sleep, Treasuring the rare feeling of peace.

Maybe I am safe here. . .

-----------------------------------------------------------

. . .Not much this chapter, Just fluff. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen