Chapter 90: Tears

Here we go. . .A late chapter!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I tried to head towards the stairs as Emory was locking the front door, Wanting to just slip away and hide.

Avoid his rage.

But unfortunately, He noticed my little escape attempt.

''Aspen, Come here'' Emory muttered, His voice rougher than usual.

I just stood there for a moment before slowly, Reluctantly, I turned back around to face him, Never taking my eyes off the floor.

He's mad, isn't he. . .

Cautiously, Slowly, I approached him, Stopping within arm's reach as my heart pounded loudly in my ears.

I could see him reaching out for my face, Which made my stomach twist in anxious fear.

Is he going to hit me? 

My heart stuttered out of pure terror.

Bracing for a strike, I closed my eyes, Preparing for pain.

Instead, He gently grabbed onto my chin, Turning my face left and right, Examining me.

''You are not hurt are you?'' He questioned quietly, His hands moving to cup my face gently.

I swallowed fearfully, Trembling ever so slightly.

''I-I'm fine'' I squeaked out, My voice wobbling a lot more than it should be.

Is he going to hit me? He still seems upset. . .

He's clearly already hit something. . .Am I next?

A small sigh left the other man as his hands drifted down from my face to rest on my shoulders, Seeming a bit reluctant about something.

This can't be good. . .I'm going to die aren't I?

I was shaking like a leaf before all of a sudden, I was being pulled into a tight hug.

One of his hands moved up to gently cradle my head as his other hand moved to the small of my back, Holding me close.

I was frozen in place as he rested his face against the top of my head, My brain unable to comprehend what was going on.

''Aspen. . .I am so sorry'' He whispered quietly, Making my heart stutter anxiously.

He's sorry?

''I-It's fine'' I whispered back, Not knowing what he was sorry for but too scared to question it.

I'm sure was the one in the wrong after all. . .

''Angel. . .It is not fine. . .I should never have called you a disappointment'' He murmured, Holding me tighter as he spoke, Confusing me further.

What?

The amount of confusion I was in was helping calm my fear down. . .My brain unable to handle so many different emotions at once.

Instead, It settled on what was starting to seem like my default emotion any more. . .Sadness.

I gave a weak shrug, Tears starting to form in my eyes at the reminder that I was, In fact, A disappointment.

Always have been. . .Always will be. . .

''It's fine. . .I was being a disappointment anyways'' I muttered, Just barely getting the words out before Emory cut me off.

''Aspen no. No you are not a disappointment. . .Look, I was angry. And I never should have taken it out on you. It is not your fault. You are not a disappointment'' He murmured firmly, Gently moving my head so I was forced to look at him.

His eyes were glistening ever so slightly with unshed tears, Which slowly broke down the last barrier keeping my tears back.

A few started to slip down my face, Causing his expression to soften.

I sniffled quietly as Emory let go of my face, Allowing me to bury my face in his chest as I quietly sobbed, All the built up emotion from the past day and a half finally spilling over.

''I am so sorry Aspen, I never should have said that, And I never should have waited as long as I did to tell you as much'' He continued, One of his hands moving to gently card through my hair in a fairly soothing manner.

''You- You waited?'' I asked between small, Hiccupped sobs, Very confused.

I thought he was angry with me this whole time. . .

''I am sorry I did, I realized what I said when I was driving Channing home. . .I intended to apologize when I got back but. . .You were asleep and I. . .Foolishly thought it would be better to wait until morning. . .I thought it would give time for emotions to settle down so things would not get worse'' He explained quietly, His tone of voice sounding ashamed and more than a little bit remorseful.

So he wasn't going to yell at me last night?

''I. . .I thought you were mad'' I whispered, My thoughts slipping out.

A small, Sad sounding sigh left him, His grip on me tightening.

''I was, But I was not mad at you'' He assured me.

I nodded slightly, Burying my face closer to him, Trying to get my breathing back under control.

But. . .If he was going to talk to me in the morning. . .Why didn't he?

''Emory?. . .Why didn't you. . .W-Why didn't you tell me this morning?'' I asked hesitantly, Timidly.

 He was quiet for a moment.

''You thought I was going to yell at you, Did you not?'' He questioned quietly.

I hesitated slightly again before nodding slowly.

He was quiet again before yet another sigh left him.

''I did not tell you this morning because I. . .Oh what is that term. . .Chickened out?. . .It has been a while since I have seen you afraid of me. . .I could not figure out how to make things right again. . .So I did nothing'' He explained, Guilt evident in his tone.

Now was my turn to be quiet as I tried to process all this new information. . .And the emotions that come along with it.

After a moment, I spoke up again.

''Okay'' I whispered quietly, Slowly trying to let the tension fade from my body.

I could feel the surprise leaking off of Emory at my quiet acceptance.

''Okay?'' He questioned, Gently nudging me away so he could look at me.

I just nodded, Scrubbing slightly at my eyes to try and dry the remaining tears.

''Aspen you do not need to accept my apology, It is okay if you do not want to accept it for a long time. . .Or ever even'' He murmured quietly, Gently wiping away a few tears I had missed with his thumbs.

''It's-It's okay, Really, We. . .We all make mistakes'' I whispered back.

If he's not mad with me then I don't want to keep this going. . .I just want things to go back to normal. . .

''Sapling this is not some small, Easy mistake, You were hurt'' He stressed, Just gently holding my face now.

''I'm not bleeding or anything so. . .It's-It's fine. . .We can go back to how it was before. . .Right?'' I whispered, My voice wobbling a bit.

Emory closed his eyes for a moment before nodding.

''Of course. . .Come, It is late. . .Let us go to bed'' He murmured, Sounding almost. . .Pained.

I've missed cuddling. . .

--------------------------------------------------------

:D Emory's still gonna beat himself up about this

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen