Chapter 37: Awkward. . .

And we only get a bit of Emory time. . .

------------------------------------------------------------------

I stuck close to Emory's side as he led me into the police station.

Officers were rushing back and forth to do their jobs when we arrived, None of them seemingly paying attention to Emory or I.

Despite that, I could feel my nerves spiking as we slowly made our way through the officers.

Emory had placed his hand on my shoulder a while ago and right now, It was thankfully providing a bit of comfort for me.

''Are you alright?'' I heard his accented voice ask, Drawing my attention back to him.

''Y-Yeah. . .I'm fine'' I squeaked out quietly, My arms wrapping around myself in a hug of sorts.

I heard a quiet hum from the other man before we reached an office door.

The door was open currently, Showing the fact that an officer was already inside said office, His back turned to us.

''Tim, What is happening?'' Emory demanded as soon as he stepped foot into the office.

''Dunno, What's happening with you?'' The officer, Tim, Asked as he turned to face us.

I could feel my eyes widen ever so slightly, He was the officer who had visited our school with Emory.

I heard the office door close behind us as Emory approached the other man.

''Officer Saw.'' Emory snapped curtly at the other man, Clearly not happy with the other man's answer.

I moved to stand a little closer to the closed door, No longer following at Emory's side.

''Yeah yeah, Okay, So you know how a family bought that creepy old house in the middle of the . . .Sleazy-er part of town?'' Tim started before Emory cut him off.

''Get to the problem'' Emory ordered, His accent picking up a bit as he got annoyed.

''They and their four children have gone missing, No clues to their where-about, Nothing'' Tim explained quietly,  

I could see the small frown on Emory's face deepening.

''Any suspects?'' Emory asked as he walked over to the desk that was placed at the far end of the room.

''Anyone in any of the nearby buildings, I mentioned they're on the bad side of town didn't I?'' Tim said as he followed behind Emory, Walking over to stand next to the desk as Emory sat down.

Emory nodded slowly before briefly looking back up.

I froze as his gaze landed on me.

Before anything could be said, There was a knock at the door, Nearly making me jump out of my skin in surprise.

''Come in!'' Tim shouted out to whoever was at the door as Emory got up, Moving over to guide me away from the door.

One of the officers hurried in, Looking very nervous.

''Uh, Sir, We've found a possible lead, We kinda need you there for back up. . .'' The officer said nervously.

The room went silent at that as everyone's attention turned to the officer.

''Can anyone else go in my place?'' Emory asked, His eyes narrowing slightly at that.

''No sir, You're gonna kinda have to be there for chaos control. . .Sir'' The officer said meekly, An apologetic look on his face.

Emory let out a heavy sounding sigh before he nodded.

''Tim, You are in charge of watching over Aspen until I get back'' Emory muttered quietly to the other man as he moved to follow the officer.

Before he made it to the door, He paused.

Turning around, He walked back over to me.

I stared up at him, Confused before he gently patted my head.

My face heated up, Partly due to embarrassment at the fact I flinched slightly when he reached out towards me.

With that simple action, Emory turned back around and left with the shorter officer.

I blinked slowly, Standing as close as I could to his desk.

Is. . .He going to be okay? 

I could feel concern starting to form in my heart as the office door was shut behind them.

''Well. . .Uh'' Tim started, Sounding a bit awkward.

Right. . .I'm not alone. . .I'm with a stranger. . .Who may or may not hate me. . .

''So uh. . .I'm ninety percent sure teens still like reading. . .Do you wanna head down to the library or something?'' Tim offered, A smile on his face as he turned his attention to me.

''I-I guess?'' I squeaked out, Moving a little ways away from Tim as I spoke.

''Awesome! Book time!'' He cheered happily, Slinging his arm over my shoulders as he spoke.

I shrunk away from the contact as he led me out of the office and past the officers.

I kept my head down as fear bubbled up inside me.

Why is he happy? Why is he being nice to me? Is he trying to get me to trust him? Is this a trick??

I cautiously stepped into the passenger seat of the patrol car Tim brought me to.

''Seat belt on?'' Tim checked as he glanced over at me, Smiling happily as he buckled himself into the driver's seat.

Nodding, I meekly held my hands in my lap, My eyes training on my knees.

''Off we go than!'' He said cheerfully as he turned on the car.

. . .Off we go. . .

--- Time skip ---

We had been driving for a while in a very awkward silence when Tim finally broke it.

''Aren't you that kid from that one school that Emory escorted out of class to had a little chat with?''

I swallowed nervously, Looking over at him at that.

''M-Maybe?'' I squeaked out quietly, Unsure why he was asking this.

''Aye, You seem like a good egg, Why in the world are you hanging around with a grump like Emory?'' Tim teased, A small smile on his face as he glanced over at me.

''He's not that bad. . .'' I whispered quietly, A small frown forming on my face as I looked back down at my knees.

I heard a small chuckle from Tim before the tense awkward silence descended on us again.

''So. . .Is he like. . .Being your role model now or something?'' Time asked, Not letting the silence go on nearly as long this time.

''Not. . .Not exactly. . .'' I whispered quietly, My attention turning to the window as I started to feel nervous about how this conversation was going.

''He didn't like. . .Kidnap you or something, Did he?'' Tim joked, Or at least I hoped he was joking. . .

I. . .Should have stayed at school. . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

And a late chapter! Fuck!

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen