Chapter 46: Father. . .

:T

-------------------------------------------------------------

The early morning fog was still covering the ground as far as I could see when we finally got out on the highway.

The silence in the car was nearly as thick as said fog outside, Neither Emory nor I had said a word since we got in nearly an hour ago.

My father was being held at a high security prison, Turns out he was wanted in a different state for killing a man.

He was going to be tried for the murder of this poor man as well as child abuse and a few other things I had forgotten by now.

Looking down at my hands, I noticed they were trembling slightly.

Clenching my hands into fists, I turned my attention back to what I could see of our surroundings blurring past.

Trees and very distant buildings lined the road, The fog making them all blurry as they zipped past.

We were almost at the prison yet no words had been spoken between us.

Sure enough, In the distance, Through the fog the tall stone walls of the prison could be faintly seen.

A nervous tension was starting to form in my chest, Making every breath feel like I was breathing thin air.

This is fine. . .This is fine! We'll talk, He'll fix this and we can all go back to pretending I never messed anything up. . .

A nagging feeling of doubt was starting to form in the back of my mind.

But what if it's better now. . .

I closed my eyes as I pushed back that tiny lying voice in my mind, This wasn't what father wanted, Clearly it wasn't better.

He knows what's for the best. . .He wouldn't want something that would be bad in the long run. . .

Despite that, The small little voice in my head seemed to laugh at that thought.

Rubbing at my eyes, I let out a sigh before flinching back violently as Emory placed his hand on my shoulder.

We stared at each other for a moment before he finally spoke.

''We are here.'' He informed me, Sounding grim as he spoke.

I looked out the window again, Surprised to see we were parked outside the building directly outside the giant stone walls of the prison.

Nodding slightly, I took his cue to get out of the car.

As we approached the little officer's station outside the prison, I took the time to study the imposing building in front of us.

The stone walls were smoothed out to the point that it seemed to lack anything to use to climb it, There weren't even cracks in the paint on the walls.

The very top of the giant walls were thoroughly covered in barbed wires to the point that from the ground it looked like there was no space what so ever at the top to stand on.

 A small shiver went up my spine as I stared at the building, Feeling unsafe, To put it lightly that is.

Emory moved back into my line of sight, Drawing my attention back to him.

One of the guards who had been at the building was now walking beside Emory.

''Do not take this off'' Emory ordered as he clipped a bright 'Visitor' badge to my shirt.

He was wearing an equally bright badge.

''You two will constantly be with a guard, Either me or one of my co-workers, That tag is only for if things really go downhill'' The guard explained as he walked beside us, Having to look up ever so slightly to see Emory's face.

''Which. Should not happen.'' Emory stated firmly as he reached down to lace his fingers with mine.

I hadn't even noticed I had been scratching slightly at my wrists until he stopped me.

I found out at that moment exactly how interesting the ground was as I refused to pull my eyes away from it until we were well inside the prison.

It was loud inside the prison, Between the prisoners shouting and guards shouting and distant sounds of people being buzzed in and out of certain places, It was almost head ache inducing.

Eventually, We made it to the visiting area, The large and thick plexi glass panels between the prisoners and their visitors, The only way to communicate was with the phones anchored into the walls at each window.

I was guided to a chair in front of one of the windows as Emory moved to stand behind me protectively.

A moment later, A familiar man in cuffs and a few chains was led out to the chair on the other side of the glass.

I could feel the anxious feeling in my chest growing as he stared at me with his dark blue eyes.

The guard on his side un-cuffed his hands so he could pick up the phone on his side of the window.

I hesitantly picked up the connected phone on my side as I felt Emory place his hand on my shoulder, Helping ground me a bit.

''Hello father'' I greeted, My voice quiet and shaky as I spoke.

''I see you're still alive.'' He snapped out, His eyes narrowing as he spoke.

I swallowed nervously at that, My hand in my lap clenching tightly.

''Yeah. . .I am. . .You. . .Wanted to talk with me?'' I asked hesitantly, Nervously starting to squirm under his glare.

''I just wanted to see how you're living with yourself after what you've done.'' He growled out quietly in response, Making my heart sink.

Oh. . .

''I figured you'd at least slightly regret ruining our family but, Looks like you have no shame at all.'' He continued coldly.

I stared down at my lap quietly, His words ringing around in my skull.

''You don't even care about all the pain you've caused your mother and I to go through and all the pain we're going to go through.'' He accused, Spitting the words out with cold hate as I started to hunch in on myself, My head lowered as I continued to hold the phone to my ear.

That was stopped however when Emory grabbed the phone from my hand and placed it back on it's stand, Cutting off whatever my father was about to say.

I could feel guilt boiling inside me, Weighing me down with self hate.

I. . .Just want to go back to bed and never wake up. . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T:

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen