Chapter 92: Storm

:D

----------------------------------------------------

Emory led me to the pantry, All the while the lights flickered and dimmed, The wind howling with a vengeance outside, The windows rattling.

Much to my surprise, At the very back of the pantry was a sturdy wooden door with metal bracings on it.

How did I never notice this before?

Emory opened the door, Revealing steps leading down to what looked like a basement.

There was a loud boom of thunder from outside, The lights clicking out completely, The quiet background sounds of things humming, Such as the fridge and the lights, Fell completely silent.

I. 

Was. 

Terrified.

Before I could really panic, Emory gently grabbed onto my hand, Tugging me down into the basement as the sound of sirens wailed in the distance.

It was pitch black down in the basement. . .Not a single bit of light making it in.

A shiver ran down my spine, A mix of fear and anxiety starting to form inside me as I was more awake now.

There was a bit of light before Emory turned on the flashlight on his phone, Illuminating the stone basement around us.

A few boxes and sheet covered furniture were placed near the walls furthest from the stairs, Other than that and a few shelves, The basement was pretty bare.

Glancing over at Emory, I watched him open his mouth, About to speak before thunder roared loudly, Making him pause.

Once the ringing in my ears stopped, Emory cleared his throat, Catching my attention again.

''Come, Sit'' Emory murmured, His voice gruff as he beaconed me over towards a small, Soft looking grey colored love seat that he had just uncovered.

Being more awake now, The weariness from the past day was coiling in my stomach, Making me uneasy as I reluctantly joined him sitting down on the couch.

It was cozy, A bit dusty but still, Comfortable.

I sat as far away from Emory as I could, Flinching slightly at every crack from the lightning outside.

''The storm should be over soon'' Emory murmured quietly, Gently wrapping an arm around me and pulling me close into an embrace.

Nervously, I rested my hand on top of his where it was resting on my side.

It wasn't the storm I was afraid of at the moment. . .

Don't mess up. . .Don't mess up. . .Don't do something to upset him. . .

He had apologized to me. . .But despite that. . .For some reason, I still felt a bit weary. . .

I shouldn't feel this way. . .

The man I was tensely cuddling with proceeded to lean over me a bit before gently pressing a kiss to my forehead.

''Rest, I will wake you once the storm eases'' Emory murmured, His voice still gruff from sleep.

He looks tired. . .

Understandably so considering it most likely still was the middle of the night. . .I was tired as well. . .But I didn't really feel like sleeping. . .

''O-Okay'' I whispered quietly, Laying my head hesitantly on his shoulder as he moved his hand up to rest on my shoulders, Holding me close with a warm arm.

I just closed my eyes and listened to his quiet breathing and the sound of howling wind and thunder from outside.

Every bang made me flinch, To which Emory would quietly murmur assurances to me while gently running his fingers through my hair.

After a while, The thunder stopped, The only sound being the quiet patter of raindrops now.

Gently, Emory shook me 'awake'.

''Aspen, It seems safe to return upstairs'' He whispered, Gently tugging me off of the love seat as I started to stumble to my feet.

I waited beside him as he covered back up the love seat before leading me up the stairs.

His hand was warm against my back as he and I slowly stepped out into the kitchen.

Nothing was damaged from what I could see. . .Well, Nothing was damaged from the storm.

Sunlight was starting to filter in through the windows as it continued to rain, Allowing me to actually see the kitchen despite the power still being out.

A few of the tiles on the wall near the back door were broken in a very vaguely fist like shape.

How did he not break his hand?

There was about a second's worth of silence before Emory's phone started to ring and let out quiet little 'ding' sounds.

I remained silent as he let out a long suffering sigh, Taking one look at the screen before answering.

''Hello?. . .Yes. . .Alright. . .I see. . .Very well, I will be on my way then. . .Yup'' Emory muttered gruffly, Sounding none too pleased about whatever had been said before hanging up his phone.

I stared at him quietly as he seemingly read something on his phone for a moment before nodding.

''What. . .What's going on?'' I asked hesitantly, My voice shaking more than I wished it would.

Don't act afraid. . .

His expression softened slightly as he turned his attention back to me.

''I have to head down to the station, A tornado touched down in town, There has been a lot of damage, More than the fire department can handle on their own'' He explained, A grim note in his voice.

A cold coil of fear started to squeeze at my heart.

Sure I've been a bit weary around him as of late, But I didn't want him to potentially be in danger. . .

He didn't seem to notice my growing internal panic, Continuing to speak after a momentary pause.

''Your school has been canceled for a week to give families time to repair any damages that might have happened during the storm'' He continued, Which explained what he had been reading. . .

I hope my friends are okay. . .I hope Daniel and Channing are okay. . .I hope no one got hurt. . .I. . .I just hope. . .

His phone buzzed quietly, Catching both of our attentions.

He sighed yet again before gently threading his fingers through my hair and placing a gentle kiss to my forehead yet again.

''I will be back soon, Get some rest'' He murmured before letting me go, Heading upstairs to change into his uniform.

Glancing around briefly, I worriedly started to wring my hands as I listened to him moving about upstairs.

Please. . .Be okay. . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:D They made it!

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen