Chapter 39: Confusion

And just a soft chapter. . .

-----------------------------------------------------------

Emory had guided me to his car once I had calmed down a bit.

His arm never left the small of my back until we were in the car.

Once I was buckled in and we were out on the road, Emory finally spoke to me.

''Something has happened?'' Emory guessed, His eyes trained on the road as I stared out the window.

I glanced down at my hands, The memory turned nightmare was still burned behind my eyelids.

''It's. . .Nothing important'' I whispered, Hoping that he wouldn't press.

Thankfully he took the hint, However, I could feel the displeasure at the fact rolling off of him in waves.

Odd. . .He's not being more obvious. . .Am. . .I getting better at reading him somehow?

I shook off the though that somehow I was getting closer to the other man.

I'm not good enough to get closer to anyone. . .Let alone deserve getting closer to someone. . .

''Was it a person or a memory?'' Emory asked quietly after a while of silence.

I clenched my hands nervously in my lap, My heart clenching slightly for some reason.

''It's really not importa-'' I started to say before Emory cut me off.

''What ever happened seemed to have upset you so it is important'' Emory muttered, His eyes thankfully never leaving the road.

I swallowed nervously before looking out the window at the shiny cars darting past us.

''It was just a dream. . .Mostly. . .'' I muttered, Mumbling the last part under my breath.

There was another bought of silence in the car before Emory spoke back up.

''Do you wish to talk about it?'' He asked, His normally un-readable tone sounding hesitant, Like he wasn't really sure what he was supposed to do in this situation.

''No. . .I-. . .I'll be fine'' I whispered quietly, Doing my best to shove down the feeling of sorrow that was trying to form in my chest.

I saw movement out of the corner of my eye before Emory's hand gently grabbed one of mine, His fingers interlacing with mine.

I blinked in surprise, Looking over at Emory.

He still was paying attention to the road despite holding my hand.

I stared back down at my lap, The anchoring feeling of Emory holding my hand helping to calm me down a bit.

Giving his hand a small squeeze, I hoped that simple action would convey the gratitude I felt towards him for trying to comfort me.

''We are almost home'' Emory informed me quietly, His grip on my hand tightening for a second.

I nodded, The tense, Frightened feeling I had from my nightmare slowly starting to disappear.

Leaning my head against the car window, I watched trees and cars dart past as the odd sense of safety Emory seemed to give me started to sooth my frayed nerves.

I. . .Guess he might not hurt me. . .

--- Time skip ---

After a while of driving, We finally made it back to Emory's house.

Words weren't spoken as we walked up to the house in silence, Emory's arm gently looped around my waist.

I kept my head down as I stuck close to his side, His presence next to me seemed to keep my troubled emotions at bay.

As soon as we were inside, And the door was closed and locked behind us, Emory guided me over to the couch.

I sat down as Emory left for the kitchen.

Pulling a blanket close, I let out a small shaky sigh.

I felt oddly numb inside as I thought back to my memory.

I was eleven when that happened, Dad and mom had gotten into a fight and I had tried to get between my parents after Dad had knocked mom out and was going to kick her while she was down.

He didn't like the fact that I stood up to him, Let alone stood up for mom.

I had ended up having to hide under the bed that whole day, I didn't get any sleep or food that night.

I shouldn't have gotten in the way. . .

I flinched slightly as a hand being gently placed on my shoulder drew me out of my thoughts.

Staring up at Emory in shock, I could feel heat starting to rise to my face in shame.

He was holding two cups of something clearly warm based upon the steam coming from the cups.

Emory slowly sat down beside me as I looked down to the floor below, Hoping that it'd swallow me up and spare me from the embarrassment of having overreacted.

I kept my eyes downcast as Emory held out a cup of hot coco for me.

Holding it with both hands, I gently blew on it in an attempt to cool down the seemingly scorching hot drink.

I jumped slightly when Emory placed his hand on my shoulder, Spooking me despite the fact I knew he was next to me.

Thankfully, He reacted in time, Grabbing onto my drink before my slight jolt could spill the coco inside and burn me.

''Here, Settle in, I will hold your drink until you are ready to take it back'' Emory muttered quietly to me, Moving slightly so I was closer to his side.

Inhaling slowly, I leaned into him slightly, My whole body tense as I expected him to shout at me for leaning up against him.

Instead, He set his drink down on a coaster and moved his arm around my shoulders, His now empty hand moving to rest on my shoulder.

I found myself laying my head on the other man's shoulder slightly.

Why, I had no clue, It just made me feel comfortable. . .And safe.

As soon as I was settled in a little bit, Emory handed me back the mug of hot coco.

I held it close as Emory tugged the blanket back up over me so I was covered up.

I could feel an almost content feeling sigh building up in my chest.

This. . .This is. . .Nice?

I wasn't exactly used to the soft fuzzy feeling that was building up around my heart, I've never really been in situations that could result in such feelings before.

Is. . .Is it because Emory's my soulmate?

Is that why he's caring for me and making me feel. . .Safe?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a softer chapter before we're back to the chaotic duo. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen