Chapter 61:

. . .Late chapter

------------------------------------------------------------------

I trained my eyes on my lap, Small tears starting to form in my eyes as I braced myself for him to yell at me for being overwhelmed by something so stupid.

What I wasn't expecting was him to sigh heavily before reaching out and turning off the bedroom light.

''We will talk about this in the morning, I think you have had enough. . .Distress for one day'' He muttered tiredly, Gently tugging me towards the bed.

Hesitantly, I relented, Letting him tug me back under the blankets, Holding me close to his chest.

Eventually, The steady, Soft thudding of his heartbeat lulled me off to sleep.

--- ---

I blinked a few times as I looked around at the swampy forest around me.

Slowly, I started to make my way towards the willow tree and the three that surrounded it.

Before I could make it there though, I was stopped in my tracks by a small swarm of solid white moths that were fluttering an inch or so above the murky water of the swamp forest.

Hesitantly, I started to follow them further and further into the forest.

Why? I have no clue, I just felt like I had to follow them.

Eventually, We came upon a large oddly mostly empty grass field, The only thing inside it was a giant old willow.

I started to approach it before a small little cluster of four orbs started to bob towards me from underneath the willow's drooping leaf covered branches.

Before they could reach me though, The world faded to black.

--- Awake ---

Slowly, I opened my eyes to see sunlight streaming in through the parted curtain covered windows.

I stared at the grey cloud filled sky for a long moment before my heart skipped a few beats as my still tired brain realized, I was should be in school, Right now.

Quickly, I started to try and get out of bed before a pair of warm strong arms tugged me back down, Holding me close.

''Mm, Geh wieder schlafen Aspen'' Emory muttered quietly, His voice gruff with sleep as he held me, Not fully awake yet either.

I had no clue what he said, But I needed to get to school, I didn't want to risk getting in trouble.

''E-Emory. . .I gotta get ready for school'' I squeaked out, Trying to squirm free again.

He sighed before slowly loosening his hold on me, Letting me leave as he started to sit up.

Hesitantly, I got out of bed before making my way out of Emory's room, Feeling his eyes watching me as I left.

Once outside of the bedroom I hurried to the room Emory used to have me sleep in, Going to get ready for the day.

The smell of pancakes wafted up the stairs once I had finished getting ready for the day, Drawing my attention towards the downstairs area.

I made my way downstairs, Fully awake now and feeling more than a bit nervous.

The memories of last night had come back to me now, Making me feel really guilty and anxious for causing so much trouble and upsetting Emory.

Now that I wasn't as stressed out, I could see a little better that Emory was just trying to be nice and yet. . .I accused him of distressing me.

Slowly, I slipped into the kitchen, Keeping my gaze down as I noticed Emory cooking something at the stove.

The clock on said stove read ten o'clock.

I was more than late to school and was no doubt already marked as tardy.

My heart sunk slightly.

I'd no doubt be relentlessly teased and mocked by Channing for missing school.

After a while, Emory finally spoke to me.

''Sit down, Breakfast will be ready in a moment'' Emory told me, Still sounding a bit tired as he spoke.

I nodded meekly and took a seat, Keeping as quiet as I could to try and not attract too much attention.

After a few more moments, Emory set a plate of pancakes down in front of me before moving to sit across from me.

We ate in silence.

Once I had eaten two pancakes, Emory spoke up.

''You do not have school today, I called the principal, You are off today for mental health reasons'' Emory informed me, Calmly watching me as I slowly set my fork down.

''B-But. . .I'm not. . .I'm not feeling. . .'' I started to mumble before trailing off, Not wanting to upset him.

''Aspen'' He called out, Waiting until I looked up at him before continuing.

''You may not be feeling unwell right now, However, Every single time I have come to pick you up from that school, Some person has always tormented you until you have had a break down'' Emory stated simply, Setting his fork down as well.

I swallowed nervously, Not really liking where this was going.

''It's. . .Okay though. . .I-I'll just try and ignore them better'' I mumbled, Slowly starting to wrap my arms around myself before Emory slowly got up from his chair.

I kept as quiet as I could as he made his way over to me, The now cooling food forgotten by both of us.

''Aspen, You should not have to ignore them, And you will not be ignoring them. Monday you will be going to a new school'' He informed me, Making my heart sink as low as it could go.

''B-But. . .'' I started to squeak out before falling quiet at the protective look in his eyes.

Swallowing back tears that were forming, I looking down to the ground.

It almost felt like a punishment, Being forced to go to a different school than my soulmates and only friend.

We were both quiet for what felt like an eternity.

Finally though, Emory ended up caving as proceeded to gently rest his hands on either side of my face, Making me shiver at the tingles that raced out from the contact.

Slowly, I hesitantly looked up and made eye contact with him. 

''I am not about to take risks in this matter'' He informed me, His expression softening slightly.

Slowly, My gaze drifted back down to the ground as the feeling that this was somehow a punishment persisted.

Guess I have no choice. . .

----------------------------------------------------------------

Emory wants the best for Aspen. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen