Chapter 56:

------------------------------------------------

''What. . .What's going on?'' I asked hesitantly after a while, Confused beyond belief with what was going on.

Channing looked up from his phone, Arching an eyebrow.

''You really don't know?'' Channing scoffed, Sounding annoyed and amused at the same time.

Nervously, I wrapped my arms around myself, Shrugging.

Channing sighed, Flicking through something on his phone before turning it to face me.

It showed a picture of me talking to the elderly couple, My face flushed slightly out of embarrassment.

The caption on it said, 'Aspen's at it again, Last week was the germen, Now he's whoring himself out to the elderly'.

''You wanna see some of the other stuff she's been posting about you?'' Channing taunted, Going back to scrolling through his phone.

I frowned slightly, Still very much confused.

''Why is she posting stuff like that? That's not what's happening. . .'' I muttered, As Channing rolled his eyes.

''No shit dumbass, She's friends with Kate, That's why she's doing this'' Channing grumbled, Seemingly ignoring me as he leaned on a wall.

When I continued to stare at him blankly, He let out a long suffering sigh.

''Kate. Has been wanting to fuck Emory since he showed up in class, How the fuck did you not pick up on that.'' Channing demanded before continuing before I could speak.

''Betty's her best friend. She's been helping Kate verbally put you down online ever since he paid more attention to you during class than he did her'' Channing explained further, Turning his phone to face me again, A giant wall of text of his phone.

Skimming over it briefly, I got the gist of it pretty quickly.

According to it, I was pretending to be depressed to get attention from Emory and was just another spoiled brat.

Oh. . .

''You seriously didn't know this has been going on for weeks?'' Channing questioned, A laugh in his voice as he spoke.

I sheepishly looked down, Shrugging slightly.

''I didn't think. . .'' I started before trailing off.

''Yeah well, You never seem to think anyways.'' Channing grumbled, Going back to scrolling through things on his phone.

After a long while, When the silence was getting to be too much, Daniel came back to Channing and I, Betty following behind him, Sulking.

''Sorry for making a post mocking you'' She said, Her voice dripping with sarcasm as she looked anywhere but towards me.

I could feel the tension in the air growing with each second.

I. . .Don't think I wanna spend time here anymore. . .I. . .Want to go home. . .

 ''T-That's okay. . .'' I muttered, Wanting this conversation to end.

Daniel still didn't look to happy, Which was jarring to say the least.

''Glad to hear that there are no hard feelings, However, Your moms are still coming to pick you up Betty. . .And Emory is on his way to make sure you're okay'' Daniel said, Saying the last bit as he turned to face me.

Oh. . .I'm being a bother again. . .

I could feel my heart sinking at the thought that Emory was having to come pick me up in the middle of his work day.

He's going to be upset isn't he. . .

Keeping my head down, I hesitantly nodded, A small little frown on my face as a few tears gathered in my eyes.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a blurry Channing take a picture of my face.

I looked up at him, Confused and still sad.

Daniel was speaking with a crying Betty right now, Said girl pleading with him to not tell her parents what she had did.

''I'm gonna make this my new screen saver'' I heard Channing mutter as he tapped away on his phone.

.  . .Oh. . .At least he's not mocking me. . .

That thought did little to nothing to cheer me up.

--- Time skip ---

It had been half an hour or so before both Emory and a woman that made Betty pale, Arrived on scene.

I nervously got up as Emory approached me, Looking me up and down as he walked.

''You alright?'' He checked when he reached me, His hands on my shoulders as he held me an arms length away.

I could faintly hear Betty's mom berating her in the background.

''I-I'm fine. . .Sorry you had to come all the way out here'' I muttered apologetically, Feeling like shit for no doubt bothering him.

Emory let out a small sigh, It sounded almost like a relieved one.

''You do not need to apologize, I am just glad you are alright'' Emory assured me as Betty started sobbing while talking with who I assumed was her mom.

I slowly shrunk closer to Emory as people turned to stare, Some concerned and others curious about why a teenaged girl was just sobbing loudly at the zoo.

 ''Mom please!'' She begged as the woman, Her mom, Glared down at her.

''No. Phone, Now.'' Her mother growled out, Holding her hand out as she spoke.

Betty was bawling her eyes out as she handed her mother the device, Despite that, Her mother didn't even bat an eye as she took it away.

Once that was done, She made her way over to Emory and I.

I moved to hide behind Emory, Genuinely afraid of what she might do considering how she just blew up at her daughter.

''You must be this kid's father'' She said, Nodding slightly to me as she spoke.

''No.'' Was all Emory said to that, Thankfully still standing protectively in front of me.

My last line of defense.

Her apologetic smile faltered slightly before she just said 'Oh'.

''Well. . .I'm very sorry for all that's happened, I had no clue Betty was doing all of this. . .'' The mother said apologetically, Seeming genuinely sorry.

''It's. . .It's alright'' I whispered quietly, Standing close to Emory as I spoke.

''Don't worry, Betty's going to be in a lot of trouble'' Her mom assured us before heading back over to Betty.

Emory glanced down at me, Arching an eyebrow slightly.

''Do you want to go home?'' He asked quietly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slight late chapter. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen