Chapter 41: A chat

And we're back to Aspen's Pov. . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I had gotten lucky and managed to avoid Channing all day today, Much to my surprise.

However, Now was the end of the school day, Meaning I had no excuses to keep me away from the other boy.

And he knew that as well.

Setting my books away in my locker, I nearly jumped out of my skin as the door almost slammed shut on me.

I slowly took a step back as Channing glared at me, His hand still resting on the locker.

''Ch-Channing'' I squeaked out in greeting, My arms moving to wrap around my waist.

''So. You kept the fact that the German cop is our soulmate all to yourself.'' Channing said accusingly, Taking a step closer to me as he spoke.

I slowly stepped back, Holding my hands up in surrender as I did so.

My heart was pounding away fearfully in my chest as he stared me down, Cold fury in his eyes.

''Y-You didn't ask. . .W-Why would I just bring that up?'' I asked, My voice quieter than when we had started talking.

''You're supposed to tell me because he's mine.'' Channing growled out, Glaring daggers at me as he clenched his hands into fists.

I flinched back slightly, Feeling shame bubble up in my chest among the fear burning it's way through my veins.

''I-I'm sorry'' I whispered quietly, Ducking my head as warmth started to gather in my eyes.

He's right. . .I should have told him. . .He has just as much right to know who his soulmates are. . .I was being selfish and cruel. . .

I opened my mouth, About to plead for his forgiveness when a now familiar weight settled on my shoulder, Causing me to flinch away.

Keeping my eyes down, I refrained from flinching again as Emory took a step closer to me, Pulling me close to his side.

''What is happening here?'' Emory asked, His voice a lot sterner than normal, At least from what I remember that is.

''We were just talking.'' Channing grumbled out, Taking a step back away from Emory and I.

Before anymore questions could be asked, Daniel arrived on scene.

''Oh! Hello! Are you here to pick Aspen up?'' Daniel asked happily, His bright smile never leaving his face.

I spared a glance up at Emory, Seeing what he thought of this.

Daniel hadn't mentioned anything to me all day about the fact we were all soulmates, At first I had assumed he was just being professional but then the way he acted was like he had forgotten, Completely forgotten what had happened.

Emory just arched an eyebrow, The left side of his lips quirking downwards slightly in a half frown of sorts.

''He's done more than pick Aspen up. . .'' Channing muttered under his breath, Confusing me.

I was about to ask what he meant about that when Emory spoke.

''Daniel, I see what happened yesterday has not affected you.'' Emory muttered slowly, His voice sounding curt.

I turned my very confused attention to Daniel as his smile briefly dropped.

As soon as his smile fell he replaced it with a slightly strained looking one.

''I'm very sorry but I don't know what you're talking about'' Daniel said pleasantly, An apologetic look in his eyes.

He. . .Doesn't remember? He actually doesn't remember, It's not an act. . .

I could see that exact thought register in Emory's mind as his eyes widened slightly before narrowing.

''We should move this conversation to a more private area'' Emory practically ordered, The tone of his voice leaving no room for argument.

I watched as Channing tried to slip away only for Emory to grab him by his arm.

He didn't say anything as he tugged Channing along with us as we followed Daniel back to his classroom.

The tension that was growing between everyone was starting to get to the point that I just wanted to run.

Slowly, I started to fall out of step with the others.

With each step they took, I got further and further away.

This is actually working?

I really didn't want to be around when Daniel was reminded about the bond, Finding your soulmates is supposed to be a happy thing. . .I didn't want to ruin it for him.

When he found out the first time he was having to calm down a fight because of me. . .

 I could feel a spike of guilt stab at my heart at the thought.

I really ruined it huh. . .

Slowly, I started to slip away as my heart clenched painfully in my chest.

Before I could even turn to head towards an exit, Someone cleared their throat, Making me freeze.

''Come along Aspen, You are going to be needed there too'' Emory's voice said, His tone gentle again.

I could feel a defeated weight starting to settle among the dread and tension already boiling in the stew of emotions that was bubbling up inside me.

Keeping my eyes trained on the floor, I rejoined Emory and Channing just outside of the classroom.

Daniel continued to smile as we filed into the classroom, Channing and I both moved to take our seats out of habit as soon as we entered the classroom.

Emory however just walked calmly up to Daniel's desk, Waiting.

''So. . .What exactly happened yesterday?'' Daniel asked politely, His smile still strained.

I could feel Emory's eyes on me for a moment as I kept my gaze trained on my desk.

What a very interesting faux wood pattern . . .

''Maybe a demonstration will explain this all to you.'' Emory muttered, Making my eyes snap up to what was happening right in front of me.

I looked up just in time to see Emory tug a glove off before placing his heavily scarred hand on Daniel's face.

I knew exactly what was happening as the blonde's eyes widened in shock, His mouth opening ever so slightly.

As soon as it was clear Daniel felt the tingles, Emory pulled his hand away, Slipping his glove back on.

I slowly got up from my seat as Daniel flopped down into his chair, His head falling into his hands as his smile disappeared.

Is. . .He okay?

-----------------------------------------------------------

And talking is about to go down. . .(Also, Channing Pov is coming up as well)

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen