Chapter 21: Escape?

And Aspen acts without thinking. . .

-----------------------------------------------------------

After a while of us just sitting in tense silence together, Emory left to go upstairs.

I found myself letting out the breath of air I hadn't noticed I was holding.

I felt so tired and drained from all the hellish happenings of today.

I propped my elbows up on my knees, My head held in my hands as I tried to reason with all that has happened.

What do I do. . .

 I looked down at my bandaged wrists, My chest lurching slightly as I partly considered ripping open the barely healed wound.

Maybe than I'll have made up for all the fuck ups I've done. . .

I could feel a feeling of shame and despair building up inside me as time ticked by.

Maybe. . . Maybe I can still stop it. . . Emory's not here to stop me so maybe I can run for it. . .

Slowly, I made my way into the hall way.

Looking up at the stairs, I didn't see any sign of Emory so I made my way to the front door.

As quietly as I could, I unlocked the door, Opening it slowly so as to try and keep quiet.

I could feel my heart pounding nervously in my chest as I glanced back at the stairs.

No sign of Emory, Still my heart was racing.

As soon as the door was open enough, I slipped outside, Slowly and carefully closing the door behind me.

I found myself flinching slightly as the door clicked quietly when it latched.

Too loud. . . 

When nothing happened however, I slowly started to back away from the front of the house.

Maybe I can get away. . .

Following the concreate path away from the lights on the house, I felt slightly uneasy as If I was being watched as I walked down the darkened path.

A shiver went down my spine as the cold fall air blew across the path, My thin shirt not even managing to stop even a tiny bit of the cold.

Shivering, I wrapped my arms around myself, Trying to keep at least a little bit of warmth.

Gotta go try and stop this. . . I just can't ruin my family. . . Again. . .

My small little flame of hope was dashed quickly as I finally reached the end of the driveway.

There was a gate.

It stretched out across the yard and the driveway, Keeping me trapped inside.

Looking up at it, I felt a sinking feeling as I realized I couldn't climb it.

I. . .I failed. . .

I could feel tears forming in my eyes and I looked down at the ground below me.

The calm and steady sound of footsteps approaching me from behind caught my sorrowful attention.

I didn't bother looking up as my shoulders slumped slightly, Shivers still passing through me as Emory stopped beside me.

He didn't say anything as he tugged his jacket off, Setting it over my shoulders.

I was ever so slightly grateful for the much warmer article of clothing, Even though it was given to me by my captor.

I kept my gaze down on the ground as Emory gently looped a arm around my waist, Steering me back to the house.

We both walked in tense silence, Neither of us even making the slightest noise.

I felt so defeated.

Soon enough, We made it back to the front door.

I shrugged off the jacket that Emory gave me once we were back in the warm house again.

I held it out to him only for him to shake his head.

''I know this is not going to be your only escape attempt, I rather you at least stay warm while trying to get away'' He said while gently pushing the jacket back into my hands.

I looked down at my shoes, My heart racing fearfully in my chest.

''How. . . How'd you know I was escaping?'' I asked timidly, My voice wavering slightly out of fear.

 He glanced down at me before locking the front door again.

''I heard the door shut'' He stated simply before he turned his attention back to me.

''B-But I was being quiet. . .'' I squeaked out, Feeling disappointed in the fact that he had heard me.

''I know you were'' He said calmly while starting to steer me towards the stairs.

Clearly I wasn't quiet enough. . . I never am. . .

''I-I'm sorry'' I whispered quietly, Feeling guilty for trying to get away.

''For what?'' He asked, His voice unreadable as he led me to a door at the end of a hallway.

''F-For trying to escape?'' I asked, Not really sure why I felt guilty but just assuming it was deserved.

He arched an eyebrow as he looked down at me, His eyes boring into mine as if he could see right past all my lies and attempts to seem. . . Normal.

''Was that a question or an answer?'' He asked calmly, Still staring me in the eye.

I found myself looking away nervously, My arms moving to wrap tightly around myself again in an insecure hug of sorts.

He didn't press me further, Instead, He opened the door he had lead me to, Revealing a bedroom on the other side.

It was larger than my bedroom at home but. . . That honestly wasn't that high of a bar to beat considering my room used to be a old walk in closet.

There was a very comfortable looking single person bed in the middle of the room.

There was an over head light but no window in the room.

Guess that rules out that escape route. . .

''Go get some sleep, Tomorrow will be a long day'' He said, Gently pushing me towards the bed as he remained near the door.

I nodded robotically, Moving over and laying down on it without much thought, Feeling too defeated and drained to bother arguing.

 He moved over to grab the blanket from the end of the bed, Pulling it up and over to cover me.

I remained silent as he moved over to the door, Dimming the light in the room when he made it to the switch.

''Süss träume'' He muttered, About to close the door before I spoke up.

''Why. . .W-Why are you doing this? W-What did I do wrong to deserve this?'' I asked quietly, My voice barely above a squeak as I accidently spoke my thoughts out loud.

Emory paused, His back to me as he stared out silently into the hall.

''You have done nothing wrong.'' He stated calmly before continuing, ''I know you see this as a punishment but it is anything but that''.

''Hopefully you will understand that eventually'' He said as he closed the door behind him.

Sighing, I stared into the dimly lit room, My heart heavy in my chest.

If I've done nothing wrong. . . Why is all this happening to me?

Why do I always cause so much trouble?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, Aspen's escape attempt didn't go as well as it could have, At least Emory wasn't mad. . . Any guesses what will happen next chapter?

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen