Chapter 63: Dimitri

I am running a blank on names to use for some reason. . .

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Setting down the deserts, We both headed outside.

I was very nervous, But still followed Andre as he led me towards the barn, Not wanting to ruin Emory's relationship with these men by being a wimp.

''I should probably warn you to be respectful around Dimitri. . . He's a bit sensitive about. . .Well you'll see'' Andre warned, A hint of affection in his voice as he said the supposedly other man's name.

Before I could have time to react or worry over that little warning, I was ushered into the barn where Emory was speaking with the elderly appearing man, Samuel.

Standing a little ways behind them was a man with a large scar that went from his neck all the way up to his lips.

He didn't really appear to be listening to the conversation between the two men.

Taking another look at Samuel, He up close appeared younger than he did from a distance.

Andre noticed me glance at him and let out a quiet huffed laugh.

''He plays a small part in a small scale movie as an elderly man. . .I've yet to help him remove the stage makeup they put on him'' Andre explained quietly to me before making a bee-line to the man with the large scar on his face.

Both men quietly spoke with each other as Emory headed over to me, Looking ever so slightly concerned.

''Are you alright?'' He questioned quietly as I leaned slightly into the arm he rested over my shoulders.

''Can. . .Can we go home?'' I asked shakily, The constant feeling of nervousness I was feeling while being here was starting to stress me out.

He frowned at that before slowly shaking his head.

''We will soon'' He promised vaguely before stepping back away from me, Taking the little comfort I had from his presence away with him.

Before I could move to follow him, Andre and the other man who I assumed was Dimitri approached me.

''Turns out I didn't have to explain anything, Emory already did, Anyways, Go have fun'' Andre said happily, Ushering me out of the barn, Dimitri following leisurely behind me.

I nervously wrapped my arms around myself as the dark brown eyed man turned his attention towards me.

He tilted his head slightly before silently gesturing for me to follow him as he slowly started to stroll towards the back pasture.

Stumbling over my feet, I followed after him.

We walked down the very large path that led towards the back pasture in silence.

After a while though, He spoke up.

''So. . .How long has this other boy been hurting you?'' The man, Dimitri questioned after a while, His voice rough and raspy.

I blinked dumbly as I tried to come up with some form of the truth that wasn't fully the truth.

''What. . .Other boy?'' I questioned hesitantly, Playing dumb seeing as feeling dumb was a state I was almost always in.

The man just slowly arched an eyebrow at that, Silent again for a long while.

Once we reached the fence of the pasture, He leaned up against it before speaking again.

''He's done this multiple times before?'' He guessed, A stoic calm beside me.

I stared out into the cow speckled pasture for a long time before shrugging ever so slightly.

Nervously I shifted from foot to foot as I felt exposed under his surprisingly astute gaze, Like he already knew everything he needed to know and was just asking for some reason or another.

Slowly, I shrunk in on myself, My shoulders hunching as I tried to make myself appear smaller to avoid his attention.

He sighed, Looking out to the pasture as well, Speaking again with his attention fully on the distant cattle.

''Do you think he's going to change? Going to become a nicer person to you?'' He questioned quietly as I joined him in staring at the cattle as well.

''People change. . .'' I whispered quietly, Not mentioning the fact that deep down, I still felt like it was somehow my fault that he was mad at me.

I had to have done something wrong considering the fact that we had been so close for the longest time before suddenly everything changed on a dime.

Dimitri hummed thoughtfully before going quiet once again.

With how quiet he constantly was, The family resemblance with Emory was striking.

''You know. . .I once thought the same thing about our fourth soulmate'' He started calmly, Not even looking at me as he spoke.

I had a feeling this story wasn't going to be in Channing's favor.

He let out a bitter chuckle before turning to face me now, His full attention on me, Leaving me no place to escape his gaze.

''Samuel and Andre both tried to convince me that he didn't have my best interests in mind. . .I believed in the good in him and kept trying to stay with him, Kept hoping he'd change all of a sudden'' He continued, His voice taking on a grim yet somewhat pained sound to it.

I swallowed nervously, Unable to look away from the deep emotional depths of his dark brown eyes.

''Do you know what came of my constant trust that he'd change?'' He questioned quietly, An eyebrow arched as we just stared at each other.

After a moment, I realized he expected an answer.

Another thing he has in common with Emory. . .

Shaking my head slowly, I did my best to keep my hands from shaking.

I was starting to get really scared by now.

He traced his fingers lightly over the long deep scar that trailed down from his lips and over his throat.

''He convinced me that he was ready to turn over a new leaf, Invited me to a random building near a pier. . .Telling me he wanted to talk with me. . .Turns out he owed money to some powerful people. They assumed I was him, Beat me within an inch of my life and threw me over into the ocean'' He said bluntly, Leaning on the fence as he spoke, His attention back on the cows that were now approaching us.

''I only survived because I had mentioned what he had said to Andre. . .He told Samuel and they both ended up sneakily following me there. . .When I confronted Him. He ended up thanking me for taking the pain for him before mocking me for being so stupid'' He finished as one of the fluffy cows reached us.

''It's good to give people more than one chance. . .But taking their abuse without complaint or consequence just lets them know that your an expendable punching bag that will always return no matter what they do. . .Keep proving them right and you won't like what happens'' He warned quietly, Gently petting the very fluffy brown cow that was demanding his attention.

Silence filled the air between us as he was seemingly lost in his memories and emotions. . .And I was mulling over his warning.

Would Channing do something like that to me?. . .When has he ever given me reason to think he wouldn't?. . .What do I do?. . .What if there's still a chance he can change?. . .But is that small chance worth the risk?

My head hurt.

------------------------------------------------------------

Late chapter and all that. . .Dimitri's a sweetheart who's gotten one too many scars from life. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen