Chapter 45:

:)

--------------------------------------------------------

Waking up in the morning, I was surprised to find myself snuggled in close against Emory's chest, His arm draped over me protectively in a half hug of sorts.

I blinked a few times before slowly trying to squirm free.

An odd fuzzy warm feeling was forming in my chest and I wasn't too sure what to make of it.

My panic started to take over when I was un-able to squirm free, I wasn't used to being held in place without being hurt soon after.

As I continued to struggle, Emory started to wake up.

I froze as Emory's dark eyes slowly opened, Staring down at me, A brief bit of confusion flashed across his face before he seemed to recognize me.

''Are you alright?'' Emory asked slowly, His voice rough and low with sleep.

I nodded shakily before pushing on his arm slightly.

''P-Please let me go'' I whispered, My voice shaky and small sounding.

Emory arched an eyebrow but moved his arm off of me anyways.

I moved away from him quickly, My heart pounding away in my chest as I did so.

Emory continued to stare at me quietly as I sat up, My shoulders hunched slightly as I tried to appear as small as I could.

He sighed quietly before sitting up as well, Turning to look at me as he did so.

''I-I'm sorry'' I whispered quietly, Guilt starting to fill me as I realized I had woken him up and no doubt was annoying him now.

He was quiet for a moment before his hand brushed against mine, Making me flinch slightly.

We stared at each other for a long moment, His expression un-readable as my heart pounded away with panic.

''Are you hurt?'' He asked quietly after a while, His gaze lowering to my chest where his arm had been resting a while ago, Looking for some sort of sign that I was wounded.

I shook my head, Nervously twisting my hands together.

The silence filled the room for a moment before the quiet buzz of an alarm broke the tension.

Both Emory and I looked over at the alarm clock sitting on the bedside table.

He let out a sigh before getting up out of bed, Turning off the alarm as he did so.

I stared up at him as he moved over to the side of the bed I was sitting at.

He slowly reached a hand out, Gently cupping my face with his gloved hand.

We stared at each other for a moment before Emory eventually spoke again.

''Did you have a bad dream?'' He questioned, His eyes narrowing slightly.

There was a very faint trace of confusion in his voice, Clearly he didn't know why I was upset, But it was concerning him none the less.

''I. . .No, It's. . .It's okay I'm. . .I was just surprised. . .Is all. . .'' I mumbled, Feeling very guilty for making him worried.

I woke up a few minuets ago and I'm already messing things up. . .I'm really a disappointment huh. . .

Before Emory could say anything else, His phone started to buzz.

I stared at Emory as he looked down at his phone before sighing heavily.

''Are. . .You okay?'' I asked timidly, Staring at his face as he put his phone away.

He reached out, Gently resting his hand on my head.

''Your father wishes to speak with you'' Emory explained grimly, His mouth settling into a disapproving line.

My heart stuttered slightly, Fear and nervous excitement blooming in my chest.

Maybe he's found a way to fix our family I ruined. . .

''I take it you wish to go see him?'' Emory questioned, His face un-readable.

Swallowing nervously, I nodded.

Is he going to be mad at me because of my choice?

Emory just nodded slightly before heading over to his closet.

''Right, You can rest for a bit longer, I will contact your school and alert them to your absence'' He informed me calmly before grabbing some clothes from his closet and leaving for the shower.

He didn't express any emotion, Not that I could see at least, But I still felt his disappointment.

So. . .That was the wrong choice. . .

 I let out a small, Disappointed sigh, My attention turning down to my wrists.

Sometimes. . .I wonder if everything would be better if I had just managed to cut a bit deeper. . .Or bleed out a bit faster. . .

Running my fingers over the scar on my wrist, I could feel and apathetic feeling in my chest returning.

Well. . .At least things are going back to normal . .I'll end up with dad. . .And Emory will be. . .Happy?

A small sigh escaped me, The faint sound of the shower turning on finally reaching my ears.

Glancing around, I noticed he had left the door open slightly, Meaning I wasn't locked in or anything.

Slowly getting up, I headed for the door.

I didn't know what I should do, The one thing I knew was, I needed to step away and get some fresh air.

Slowly making my way to the front door, I paused briefly, Considering maybe not heading outside.

Emory could get worried if I'm missing. . . Or. . .He could be relieved that he doesn't have to deal with me. . .

Despite that compelling thought, A small part of my brain said other wise.

He said he didn't mind the extra work that's needed with us. . .

Staring at the doorknob, I mentally debated with myself.

--- Time skip ---

I was no closer to an answer when Emory eventually came downstairs, His hair still drying from his shower.

We both stared at each other for a moment before Emory spoke up.

''You are not wearing a jacket'' He muttered, Actual disapproval in his voice.

Glancing down, I let go of the doorknob, Wrapping my arms around myself.

''Sorry. . .I was uh. . .'' I started to say before realizing, I didn't have an excuse.

Well. . .If he didn't hate me before, He's bound to at least dislike me now. . .All he wanted me to do is wear the jacket if I go outside so I won't get sick. . .And yet, I managed to mess that up too. . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Welp, We're gonna visit with Aspen's father soon. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen