Act 2, Chapter 2: Familiar

Interesting chapter. . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Making my way back to the counter, I passed the two new orders onto the chef as I tried to ignore the. . .Less than polite gazes on me.

It was par for the course to get. . .Interesting stares while working at a place that serves alcohol and has more than a few drunk patrons.

Their looks made me feel gross and slightly sick.

But it's fine. . .

Being mentally undressed every day was fine, Things could be so much more worse after all.

A small sigh left me as one of my co-workers joined me at the counter, Giving me a sympathetic look as she noticed the slightly sickly expression on my face.

''Just a bit longer then you can go on break'' She whispered quietly, The same mantra that was probably playing in her head as well.

I gave her my best attempt at a smile. . .Which felt so very strained.

Eve gently patted my shoulder before heading back onto the floor, Moving to take orders and check on tables.

Well. . .I've got to get back to work. . .

Letting out a shaky sigh, I grabbed one of the recently finished orders and headed out to a table filled with loud people who's faces were slightly red from the amount of alcohol they've consumed.

''Here you go, Enjoy your meal'' I muttered, Placing the plates down in front of the four people, Ignoring the fact that one of them was licking his lips and trying to make eye contact with me as I did so.

''Oh, Believe me I am'' The lip licking man purred out in a tone that made me feel unclean.

Holding back a disgusted shudder, I gave him a forced smile before returning to the counter, Hoping to whatever god was above that this would be the last time I'd be seeing that man.

I hadn't even stood there for half a second before one of the bartenders was calling me.

''Aspen, Please take these to table seventeen'' The bartender, Roman, Asked quietly, Holding out a tray containing five tumblers of amber colored whiskey.

''Rodger that'' I whispered under my breath, Carefully balancing the black, Circular tray on my hand as I made my way through the crowded building.

Three people were at the table when I made it there, They seemed to be scoping out the place for some reason.

I was too tired to really question it, Instead I placed down three of the drinks before pausing, Unsure if they were seconds or if two other people were going to fill the remaining seats.

I'm going to have to ask, Aren't I?

''We've got two friends who will be joining us soon'' One of the men spoke up, Surprisingly polite and friendly. . .Which was not something I was expecting considering the types of people this place brings in.

''O-Oh! Alright, Enjoy your drinks'' I muttered quietly, Placing down the two drinks and starting to make my way to the counter again, Only to be stopped half way there as a tall, Muscular man moved in front of me, Making my heart sink.

''Well hello there, Aren't you a little cutie'' The mystery man murmured, Much politer than others who've said similar to me.

Despite his politeness, It still made me feel somewhat. . .Gross.

 ''U-Um, S-Sorry?'' I squeaked out nervously, Taking a step back, Trying to get away from him when he proceeded to step back into my personal space.

''Sorry? Why, It's a compliment silly, Ah you're adorable'' He murmured, Reaching a hand up as if he wanted to touch me, Before he could, I backed away, Feeling trapped. . .Like a goat dropped into a lion enclosure.

''I uh. . .'' I squeaked out, Unsure how to react to this.

I can't run. . .But I know from experience that if this goes on much longer. . .Things will not end well for me. . .

 ''You know, You look just like my friend's type'' He commented.

There it is. . .

''I'm not- I-I'm not interested- I've got a soul-'' I started to stutter out before the other man waved off anything else I was gonna say.

''My friend might not wanna flirt with you 'cause he's caught up on one of his soulmates, But you never know, Someone as cute as you might sway him'' The man continued, Trying to herd me back to the table I had just left, His words making me feel uneasy.

''I mean, You've got an attractive body and a cute enough face'' The man was continuing to say, But I couldn't really concentrate on what he was saying as my gaze landed on the new person sitting down at the table I had just delivered drinks to.

A dark haired, Dark eyed man. . .Wearing gloves. . .And with a faint scar on his face.

A man who looks perfectly identical to Emory. . .Just with a bit more stubble on his face.

It couldn't be him. . .Right? I am so so far away from where he lives. . .

Swallowing nervously, I sent one of my co-workers an 's.o.s' look.

As soon as she spotted that look, Honey was weaving her way over to me.

''Excuse me, I need your assistance in the back please'' She lied as soon as she was close to me, Quickly freeing me from the man and dragging me back behind the counter without a single word to the guy who was trying to drag me to 'potential Emory'.

As soon as we were both out of hearing range, She turned to me, Giving me a questioning look, Making sure I was okay.

''I'm alright. . .I just. . .I just need a moment'' I muttered quietly, Feeling incredibly. . .Unwell after that.

It's not him. . .I'm sure it's not him. . .

''Well, You say back here until you feel mostly alright, Okay?'' She murmured before being called away to tend to some tables.

I nodded shakily before doing my best to slow my breathing.

Ever since I left Emory, Everything's felt. . .Mostly numb. . .Except for the bad things. . .

Maybe I'm still the proble-

''Excuse me?'' A familiar, Low, Accented voice called out from behind me.

My heart lodged itself in my throat at the voice, The world seemingly freezing.

It was him. I would recognize his voice anywhere and everywhere. . .

''I must apologize, I heard one of my companions was harassing you'' He started.

And of course that'd be what he'd say, Because he's such a kind and perfect man.

My heart was clenching painfully in my chest as he continued, His voice gentle and kind.

''Are you alright?'' He questioned, To which I nodded shakily, Careful to keep my back turned to him.

He was clearly about to say something else before one of the other staff members moved to herd him away from where I was, No doubt assuming he was bothering me.

That couldn't be further from the truth. . .

I shakily tried to regain my calm as a few tears dripped down my face.

It's.

It's for the best.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

:D Sadness! Yay! Also. . .Emory!!!

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen