Chapter 55: Chaos

Late chapter. . .

---------------------------------------------------------------

We had been split off into little groups to go and explore different parts of our county's zoo, Each group being escorted by either Daniel or a trusted student. . .Like Toby.

I had been put in a small five person group with Channing, Toby, Kate and Betty.

We were going to see the lions. . .

I felt a little nervous as we walked through the bustling zoo.

Channing was walking beside me as Betty and Kate both tried to speak with Toby at the same time, Trying to convince him to ignore Daniel's plans and just take us to the gift shop to hang out.

The loud cry of a peacock made me jump slightly, Having not expected for the brightly colored bird to approach me while we were walking.

I stared at it's pitch black, Soulless eyes, It was staring back at me as it puffed up it's feathers, Looking pissed.

Remembering what the goose had done to Daniel, I quickly stumbled away from the peacock, Not wanting to get hurt today. . .

Of course, Fate had other plans for me.

I flinched in fear as I bumped into Channing, Having not payed enough attention to my surroundings.

''Will you fucking stop it.'' He snarled out at me, Pushing me away as he spoke, Making me stumble slightly.

I shrunk in on myself slightly as I backed away, But he didn't stop at that.

''You always bump into people, Watch your fucking surroundings already will ya you brain dead moron.'' He growled out at me, Hissing the words into my ear as he leaned in close.

Swallowing, I nodded meekly, Looking down at the dirt and straw coated brick floor.

''I-I'm sorry'' I whispered quietly, Taking a step away from him as I squeaked out an apology.

''I'm sorry'' Channing mocked, Rolling his eyes before storming off to join the rest of our group.

I stood there for a moment, Nervously shaking slightly before I stumbled after the group, Hanging back at the rear of the group.

Everyone was chatting with each other, Kate was flirting with Channing as Betty continued trying to convince Toby to take us to the gift shop, Saying and I quote, 'Take us away from this part of the zoo. . .It smells like manure and animals'.

I'd. . .Be concerned if it didn't smell like animals here. . . 

A screech next to me made me nearly jump out of my skin, My heart pounding rapidly in my chest as I turned to look for the source of the sound.

I stared with wide eyes at the monkey in one of the enclosures next to me, It was staring back, A grin on it's face.

Feeling uneasy again, I started to back away, Still not paying attention to my surroundings.

Of course, I nearly ended up bumping into someone else.

I stumbled away from the old couple I had nearly ran into, The two elderly women asking if I was okay as their husband helped steady the one I almost ran into.

''I-I'm fine. . .S-Sorry'' I stuttered out, Moving away from them, Their concern making me a bit un-comfortable.

I wasn't used to being around this many people outside of school, The only times I had ever been around this many adults was when my dad would drag me to places as an alibi when he'd buy drugs and things like that.

Before much more could happen, Toby appeared at my side, Catching my attention before placing a hand on my shoulder.

''Sorry about that, My friend here is a little overwhelmed in crowds'' Toby apologized swiftly, Gently nudging me back to our group as he spoke with the elderly couple.

The two girls who were with our group were busy whispering to each other as I finally rejoined the group.

Channing sneered slightly at me as I shrunk in on myself, Wrapping my arms around my waist in a self hug of sorts.

Once Toby was done speaking with the elderly couple, He returned to our little group, Giving me a worried look before continuing to lead us through the large and winding maze of a zoo.

Again, I fell back near the back of the group, Channing walking with me again as the two girls now were busy texting something to who knows who.

After a moment, Everyone's phones let out a small little 'ding' sound.

I didn't have a phone, Meaning I didn't get the message that outraged Toby.

The two girls muttered something along the lines of 'Oh fuck'.

''That's it. We're going back to Daniel.'' He grumbled, Turning around and storming in the direction of the monkey's enclosure.

I looked around at my classmates, Confused as Betty begged Toby not to be a snitch, That it was just a joke and everything was chill.

When she turned around to face me, I felt my heart still as a chill raced down my back.

Something's not right. . .

''You're okay with it right?'' She questioned, Confusing me.

Despite not knowing what she was talking about, I didn't want all this attention, So I did the only thing I could see as logical right now.

''Y-Yeah. . .'' I whispered awkwardly, Nervously rubbing at my arms, Not knowing what I was agreeing to but hoping it'd take the attention away from me.

Before Betty could say anything else, We had reached Daniel's group of four.

''Betty! Kate'' Daniel called out to the two of them, Actually sounding annoyed.

The cheerfulness was completely gone from his voice.

Everyone had fallen silent by now, It could not be a good sign if Daniel wasn't happy.

The kids in Daniel's group glanced at me before whispering to each other, A few of them smirking as Daniel led the two, Now frightened girls away, Having already spoken with Toby and Channing.

I didn't know what had been said, But neither of them seemed happy about it.

After a few glares between the two boys, Toby led Daniel's group away, No doubt to go see some animals as Channing pushed me roughly over to one of the nearby benches.

Oh. . .That's why Toby was glaring. . .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>:)

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen