Chapter 31: Friday

And like I said, Things go badly. . .

---------------------------------------------------------------

We had made a few S'mores before I eventually got tired.

Emory thankfully hadn't asked anymore questions about what I had been doing when I was in the woods, However, That didn't ease up the tension I could feel bubbling in the air between us.

I had been somewhat grateful when he sent me away to my room so I could get some sleep.

It had allowed me to hide away from him for a while.

However, There was no hiding now as he drove me to school.

I sat quietly in the passenger seat, My hands nervously clasped in my lap as I stared out at the side of the road that was passing by.

Emory was silent at the steering wheel.

When he parked in the school parking lot I got out of the car quickly, Expecting him to warn me to not leave school again or something.

Instead, He got out of the car as well.

I glanced over at him, He was in his uniform and more than a little bit frightening with the grim look on his face.

I swallowed nervously when he walked around the car to stand next to me.

Instead of saying anything, He gently set his hand at the small of my back and started to guide me inside.

I stayed silent as he walked beside me, His surprisingly warm hand at the small of my back providing a confusing bit of comfort for me as we walked.

I was dreading going to my classroom.

All the stares. . .Channing and Daniel no doubt will be acting all happy couple together. . .

Emory must have somehow sensed my growing unease, As the hand at the small of my back moved up to briefly rub at my back, Catching me off guard.

I glanced up at him in surprise, My eyes briefly widening as my heart stuttered.

He glanced down at me, His gaze softening before he turned his attention back to the doors in front of us.

He guided me inside, Past the kids idling around in the halls.

Like a tree in a storm, He shielded me from the wind like stares of the other kids, Protecting me from the blunt of the storm.

That still didn't mean some of the wind didn't reach me.

I lowered my head as I caught the judgmental look Channing sent my way.

He was glowering slightly in the hallway, Leaning on one of the classroom doors.

I felt my steps falter slightly as we walked, Before I could do more than stumble, Emory's hand on my back moved to my shoulders, Holding me up.

I found myself leaning slightly into his hand as he continued to walk me towards my classroom.

I glanced briefly up at Emory as we finally arrived at the classroom.

He had a grim look on his face, Which seemed to soften the smallest bit as he looked down towards me.

''Have a good day at school'' Emory muttered quietly, Staring intently at me as I tried to avoid his gaze.

''T-Thanks. . .Have a good day too. . .'' I whispered quietly, Knowing deep down that today, Was not going to be a good day for me.

Emory gave my shoulder a slight squeeze, As if to provide a bit of comfort before he took a step back.

''I will come and pick you up after school is over'' Emory stated simply, His gruff voice quieter then normal.

Sighing, I nodded, Now understanding why he walked me in.

That way I couldn't skip school again. . .

Emory reached out, Resting his hand on my head briefly before he moved again and left the school.

I watched as he left, My whole body tensing up as I heard Channing storm over to where I stood frozen.

''The hell was that.'' He demanded quietly, Grabbing onto my arm way too tightly.

''W-What was what?'' I squeaked out timidly, Shrinking back slightly.

''Why were you with him.'' Channing growled out, Tightening his grip on my arm.

''W-What do you mean? H-He was just dropping me off. . .'' I squeaked out, Confused and scared.

Channing opened his mouth, About to say something else when the classroom door behind us opened.

''Welll gooood morni-'' Daniel started to say, His normal overly happy smile Briefly falling when he took in what was happening at the entrance of his classroom.

''Oh. . .Daniel I uh. . .Was just. . .Making sure Aspen didn't skip school again today'' Channing said, Coming up with a lie on the spot.

I swallowed nervously as Daniel's bright smile returned, He reached out, Gently patting Channing on his head.

''Aww, Aren't you such a sweet little helper'' He said cheerfully as a slight blush started to tint Channing's face.

I took a slight step back, My heart starting to ache as I watched the sweet little display of love between those two.

I wish I was anywhere but here. . .

''Well why don't you go in and take a seat sweetheart'' Daniel said happily to the other boy, Gently guiding him inside with a gloved hand on his shoulder.

I glanced at the entrance doors to the school, Longing to walk out through them and just get away from here.

Before I could however, Daniel cleared his throat, Drawing my attention back to him.

He gave me one of his blindingly bright smiles, ''Come in take your seat Aspen'' He said kindly, His overly cheerful voice grating on my already frayed nerves.

I nodded meekly, About to slip into the classroom before he spoke again.

''Oh, I almost forgot, You have detention tonight Mr. Fir'' Daniel said cheerfully before he left for his desk, Leaving me to trudge over to my seat.

I could see Channing watching me as I walked, An emotion I didn't want to look into lurking behind his gaze.

I wanna go back to Emory. . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------

And it's Channing again, Is anyone even surprised that he's the reason Aspen isn't gonna have a good day?

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen