Chapter 22: Dread

So . . . Late chapter uh . . . Sorry

---------------------------------------------------------------

After a long while, I had eventually fallen asleep, Or so I think I did.

All I really remember was my conversation with Emory than I woke up, Everything was just a sleep hazed blur.

Yawning, I rubbed roughly at my eyes, Briefly seeing bright blotches of colors as I pressed a little too hard.

I looked around the still slightly dark room, There was no sign of what time it was when I looked to the bare, Windowless walls.

Maybe Emory's still asleep? I could go and try to call for help. . . Maybe someone will hear me!

With that little idea in mind, I got out of the surprisingly warm bed, Cautiously moving over to the closed door.

Grabbing onto the handle, I half expected it to be locked.

Instead, The door opened easily without a single sound.

Cautiously, I made my way to where I remembered the stairs being.

The smell of eggs cooking came from downstairs, Making my heart sink as I realized, Emory was already up.

A small, Defeated sigh escaped my lips as I slowly walked down the stairs, Dread coiling in my stomach.

Nervously, I followed the smell towards the kitchen, Figuring it would be better to just face the music while I still could.

I timidly stepped into the somewhat large yet still cozy seeming kitchen, Sticking close to the wall next to the entrance doorway, Prepared to bolt for the door if he tried to hurt me.

Old habits were hard to forget after all.

I swallowed nervously, Remaining silent as I held my arms close to my stomach in a sad self hug of sorts.

Emory didn't say anything, However he had clearly noticed me standing there.

He wordlessly plated up the eggs with some toast before carrying the two plates he put them on over to the wooden table near the wall I was sticking close to.

he gestured to the chair one of the plates was in front of.

''Sit'' he ordered, His accent surprisingly strong as he appeared to still be waking up.

Nervously, I sat down across from him, My hands worriedly clenched in my lap.

I kept my eyes down as I heard him calmly start eating the eggs on his plate before pausing.

''Eat the food Aspen'' He ordered, His voice gentle despite the early morning gruffness to it.

''I-I'm not hungry'' I muttered quietly, Even as my stomach clenched in protest, The smell of food making me feel queasy with hunger.

He might have poisoned it besides. . . I don't deserve to eat. . .

''That was not an option.'' He said firmly, Making my heart sink.

I was about to try to refuse again when his phone started to buzz.

Emory let out a tired sigh before picking up his phone, He read something on it before getting up and going to grab a bag out of the fridge.

''Come along, You will be late for school otherwise'' He said, Gently tapping my shoulder, Causing me to flinch as he waited for me to get up.

''School?'' I asked timidly, A hint of worry in my voice as walked beside him nervously as he lead me to the door.

He arched an eyebrow, Looking down at me questioningly.

''Is there a reason you do not want to go to school?'' He asked, His voice deceptively calm, His accent still stronger than normal.

''No. . .'' I said quietly, Not wanting to cause trouble.

He stared at me silently before turning his attention away from me again, Allowing me to let out a tired sigh.

He didn't say anything as we both got in the car, Nor did he say anything on the tense ride to school, However, I could tell, He didn't believe me.

--- Time skip ---

I walked into homeroom, The lunch bag Emory had given me clutched tightly in my hands as I kept my head down, Trying to not draw attention to me.

I had been dropped off just before class, Meaning I walked in with everyone else. . . Stopping me from hiding at the back of class.

As I snuck into class, I avoided most of the class's attention, Sadly, Not Daniel's.

''Goood morning Aspen!'' He called out happily, Noticing me trying to sneak in.

I winced slightly as the whole class's attention was turned onto me.

Keeping my head down, I hurried over to my seat, My face heating up slightly at the attention.

''Alright class! Today we have a test!'' He said happily with way more cheer than anyone saying those words should have.

The rest of the class agreed with my sentiment, Guessing from the groan of annoyance that practically echoed off the walls.

Based on the slight faint echo I could hear from the door, Our class wasn't the only one getting this surprise test.

Smiling happily, Daniel carried a stack of papers over to all of us, Placing two on each desk.

I watched as he got closer and closer to the back of the class.

He gave me a happy smile when he reached my desk, His eyes sparkling slightly.

''Now remember class, If you have any trouble feel free to ask for help'' He reminded before pausing as he looked at the seat behind me.

''Oh heck! I forgot to do roll call!'' He said, Facepalming slightly before hurrying back to his desk.

Looking back at the desk behind me, I noticed, Channing was late.

Is he going to miss class?

Before Daniel could start his cheerful roll call, Channing burst into the classroom, Slightly out of breath.

''Goood morning Ch-'' Daniel started to say before Channing stumbled slightly, Tripping over his own feet.

I started to get up, Prepared to rush to help him if he got hurt.

Before he could even hit the ground though, Daniel reacted, Moving quickly to grab the boy before he could hit the ground.

''Are you alrig-'' He started to ask before Channing reached up, Lightly laying his hand on the back of Daniel's neck for support as Daniel helped him back to his feet.

Both of them froze as soon as their skin touched, Their eyes widening with understanding.

What's going on?

I watched on with the rest of the class in tense excitement, Mine more so coated with dread.

''We're. . .'' Channing started to say, His eyes wide before he trailed off, To shocked from the look of it to really properly put things into words.

''Soulmates'' Daniel finished, His voice barely a whisper.

Oh. . .

The cold sense of dread twisted tightly inside me, My heart clenching in sorrow.

Sure he's always been a jerk to me but. . . I deserved it for annoying him I just. . . Never thought he'd move on to someone else. . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I know, The ending is confusing, Aspen really has no idea how soulmarks work (Or that a person can have more than one soulmate), Any guesses how Daniel and Channing are going to handle what they just learned?

Anyways! Like always, have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen