Chapter 26: Talking

Lots of talking. . . (Late chapter)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Emory held me close to his chest in a hug, Quietly hushing me as my brain struggled to comprehend.

We're soulmates?

For some reason, My brain refused to believe that.

I just couldn't picture me with him, I was too broken. . .Too used.

I swallowed thickly, Tears starting to form in my eyes.

I felt Emory let out a sigh before his arms tightened around me, Hugging me closer to himself.

''What is the matter?'' He asked gently, His gruff voice holding concern.

I shook my head slightly, Not saying a word as I turned my face away from him.

He didn't say anything for a moment before he slowly let me go.

I pulled away from him, Sitting tensely next to him, My eyes starting to get misty.

After a moment of tense silence I spoke quietly, My voice trembling, ''I'm sorry'' I whispered.

 He was silent beside me for a bit longer before he moved to rest his hand firmly on my shoulder, His grip anchoring me slightly.

''What are you sorry for?'' He asked quietly, His voice getting rough again.

''I-I don't know. . . '' I muttered quietly, Feeling the need to say sorry for everything I've done, For the burden I knew I was to him.

He was silent after that.

I found myself staring down at my folded hands in my lap, The tears in my eyes threatening to spill out.

Lowering my head slightly, Some of my chaotic hair fell right down into my eyes.

A shiver ran down my spine as tingles briefly coursed out across my face when Emory brushed the hair aside, His skin briefly touching my face.

My eyes widened slightly as he cautiously held his hand still, Allowing me to back away if I actually wanted to.

I remained where I was, Sitting tensely, Not moving a muscle.

He gently removed his hand from my face before he got up.

I expected him to leave, Instead, He crouched down in front of me, His hands moving now to gently cup my face.

I shivered again at the contact before he locked eyes with me.

''Aspen, Tell me, What is the matter?'' He asked again, Concern lacing his words.

''I don't understand, I don't understand any of this. . .'' I muttered quietly, My voice giving away how overwhelmed I was feeling.

Emory removed his hands from my face before gently patting me on my head.

''That is okay, Maybe, I can help you understand'' Emory said gently, An encouraging note in his voice.

I let out a small unsure little hum, My arms moving to clutch at my sides in a nervous hug of sorts.

Emory got up, Retuning to my side, His arms wrapping around mine in a proper hug.

''What all do you not understand?'' He asked, His breath lightly tickling at my neck, Making me shiver.

''I-I don't. . . How do I have two soulmates? M-My dad always told me you could only truly have one. . .I-If you find another t-then the first is no longer your soulmate. . .'' I blurted out, My hands moving to hold onto his wrists.

I wasn't sure if that action was to keep him from doing anything else. . . Or to keep him from letting me go. . .

He let out another tired sigh.

He was doing that a lot, As if he was trying to force himself to be calm each time he did that.

''He lied to you.'' Emory stated bluntly.

I blinked in confusion.

''How many marks do you have?'' He asked, Although the tone he used made it seem he already knew my answer.

''T-Three, I have three, Why?'' I asked quietly, Unsure what he was going to say next.

''Those marks represent how many soulmates you have, Meeting another will not change that'' He stated.

''H-How can you be sure?'' I asked weakly, Tilting my head back slightly in his embrace to look up at him.

He closed his eyes briefly before actually answering, ''So many couples can attest to that, It is actually rare to find someone with only one soulmate'' He explained calmly.

I nodded slowly, Letting his words sink in.

''What else are you confused about Setzling?'' He asked, His forehead resting against the back of my head as I turned my attention back to my jeans.

''W-What's. . .W-What's going to happen now?'' I asked quietly.

He was silent for a moment before his arms tightened around me slightly.

''You will have to be more specific Aspen'' Emory requested quietly.

I swallowed nervously again, I really wasn't sure I could be more specific when I didn't really know what I wanted to know exactly.

All I knew was I had a uncertain fear of what would happen to me in the future.

''Y-You know. . . Now that my parents a-are taken away. . .'' I muttered, Figuring that would be the best question to start with.

I could feel him nod slightly before he chose to answer my question.

''For now, You will live here with me, Once a safe family has been found to foster you, You will live with them until you are an adult'' He explained, His voice becoming a little gruff when he explained that I'd end up living with a foster family.

''Oh. . .'' I whispered quietly, My heart sinking at that.

Guess that makes sense. . .

''Or'' He started, Catching my attention.

''Seeing as we are soulmates, You can live with me permanently, So long as there are weekly check ups to make sure you are okay'' He said, His voice holding that warm comforting tone yet again. 

I nodded slightly, Showing that I understood.

''The choice will be up to you. . . Once your parents are finished being dealt with'' He finished explaining.

''Oh. . .What. . .What will happen to them?'' I asked quietly, Worry starting to clutch at my heart as my mind went back to my mom.

She doesn't deserve anything bad. . . She's only ever tried to protect me. . .

She was the one good thing about home. . .

------------------------------------------------------------------

So, Emory is going through the work of explaining things to Aspen, Any guesses though what's gonna happen to his mom?

Anyways! Like always! Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen