Chapter 72: Comfort

Back to Aspen's Pov. . .

--------------------------------------------------------------

Emory and Channing had disappeared into a guest room quite a while ago.

I was feeling progressively worse by the second.

Eventually though, I swallowed my fear and just went upstairs, Hiding under the covers on the bed I had slept on my first night here.

If. . .Since, Emory had given Channing a ring he most likely wanted some 'alone time' with the other boy.

He most likely didn't want me around. . . Not anymore.

I was just starting to drift off when hurried steps approached the door.

And just like that, The door was swung open by a slightly panicked looking Emory.

We both stared at each other silently for a moment before Emory let out a sigh, Seemingly calming down as he approached where I was curled up on the bed.

''So here is where you are hiding'' He murmured, Sitting down on the edge of the bed next to me.

'' 'M not hiding'' I muttered back, Ducking my head back under the blanket as I spoke.

My eyes were no doubt reddened thanks to tears.

He was quiet for a long moment before a warm and heavy hand was placed on my blanketed shoulder.

''You are rather far under the blankets for someone who is not hiding'' Emory commented, His hand moving to pull the blanket off of my head.

His eyebrows arched slightly as he took in my appearance.

''You were crying'' He stated plainly, His other hand reaching up to brush his thumb over the soft skin under my eye, Brushing away a tear I hadn't noticed had fallen.

I shook my head in denial, Despite the fact that it was blatantly clear I was distressed.

He sighed heavily before lightly patting my side.

''Alright, Sit up'' He ordered suddenly, The tone of his voice demanding compliance.

 Hesitantly, With much confusion and weariness, I did as I was told.

Once I was sitting up properly, Emory carefully grabbed me, Hoisting me up off of the bed briefly before setting me down on his lap.

My whole body was tense as Emory loosely held me against his chest.

I could escape if I put some effort into it, He wasn't holding onto me tightly enough to prevent a serious escape attempt.

He didn't force me to do anything, Didn't do anything other then gently hold me in his arms, His warm chest rhythmically rising and falling as his body slowly started to heat mine.

Slowly, My eyes started to droop slightly, My thudding heartbeat calming down to a more reasonable pace.

''Why. . .Are you up here? D-Don't you wanna be with Channing?'' I asked quietly after a long while of silence between us.

I had my gaze trained on the soft, Fluffy green blanket that was tightly wrapped and coiled around my legs while I spoke.

Emory hummed slightly in response to that before one of his hands gently rubbed comfortingly at my arm.

''Why would I want to be with him?'' He questioned quietly, His voice a low, Soft rumble.

''B-because you like him?'' I guessed, Hesitantly laying my head back against his chest as his hand moved up to gently card through my hair soothingly.

''What makes you think that?'' He pressed further, Slowly laying back against the pillows on the bed, Forcing me to lay back as well.

''Y-You gave him a ring. . .Y-You must like him a lot'' I pointed out, Making Emory's body tense up faintly for a split second.

''What. . .Kind of ring do you think I gave him?'' Emory questioned slowly, Confusing me.

''A. . .Promise ring? A-A few soulmates at school have them. . .'' I muttered quietly.

What other ring could he have given Channing?. . .Maybe an engagement ring. . .

Much to my surprise, A small, Sighed chuckle rumbled in the other man's chest.

''I gave him no such ring, It was not intended to be a promise nor a sign of affection'' Emory assured me, Sounding a bit amused as he spoke.

A small, Whispered 'Oh', Left me.

Much to my surprise and well. . .Shame, I was relieved to hear that Emory didn't love him more than me.

I must have relaxed further at that, Because Emory sat back up again, Moving to look at my face.

''You were upset about him having a. . .Ring?'' He questioned, His hand leaving my hair and moving down to rest on my hip.

I glanced away slightly, Staring down at his gloved hand with rapt attention.

Sure, I had been upset about the possibility that Emory liked Channing more then me, But the real issue I had with that was the fact that my brain constantly supplied me with reminders about how much better Channing was compared to me.  

He's not nearly as broken as me. . .It would make a lot of sense that Emory would love someone who wasn't as much of a fucked up mess as me.

''N-No. . .D-Didn't really care'' I muttered before his grip on me tightened.

''You would not be upset if you did not care about something'' Emory pointed out, Seeing right through my lie.

''Just. . .Thought you'd be much happier with someone not as messed up as me'' I whispered, Hoping that he wouldn't hear me.

But well, I was sitting on his lap with my head resting on his chest, He'd have to be going deaf to not hear me at the volume I was speaking at.

A small sigh left him again before he grabbed onto me again and turning me so my chest was now against his, Leaving us face to face.

''You have issues, Yes. Just like every other human. That does not make you messed up, Not in the slightest'' He stated firmly and sternly, Only speaking once he had 'encouraged' me to make eye contact with him.

His hand was making my face warm where he was holding my chin, Not letting me look away from the fierce emotions in his eyes.

Slowly, Tears started to make my vision blur slightly thanks to the amount of concern that I could make out in his gaze.

It felt. . .Weird to see how concerned he was for me.

His body relaxed slightly before he released my face, Wrapping his arms more firmly around me as I buried my face in his chest.

He quietly hushed me, Rubbing gently at my back as I lost my fight with my tears.

My emotions were a mess, I had no clue why the fact that someone cares about me for once would make me so emotional as to cry.

Must be another sign of how messed up I am. . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 Mmm. . .A very very late update. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen