Chapter 24: Adoption?

And a late freaking chapter. . . (Sorry)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Emory had drove us both back to his house.

Afterwards he had gone upstairs, A phone in hand.

I didn't really feel like doing anything.

So I sat on the couch, Just numbly staring straight ahead.

Time, Everything, It all just felt, Pointless.

I picked slightly at the bandages on my wrists, The emotions I had been dealing with lately all seemed to slowly fade away into an apathetic numbness.

I didn't even realize that I had ended up tearing up the bandages until Emory firmly grabbed onto my hand.

I jumped slightly as his slightly painful grip drew me out of my numbed haze.

I looked up at him, My eyes widened slightly at the stern and slightly. . .Concerned look on his face.

Tears started to form in my eyes as I looked back down at his gloved hand, His grip a lot tighter and a bit painful.

My eyes widened however as I stared at my wrist.

I had thought I was picking at the bandages.

Instead, The bandages had already been torn, What I had been picking at was the stiches in my wrist.

My eyes widened slightly as I noticed the fact that I was bleeding now.

I slowly relaxed my hand in his grip, Tears threatening to slip past my eyes as I stared at my arm.

I screwed up without even noticing. . .I ruined the perfect stitching. . .

Emory let my hand go, His own hand moving to gently rest on my shoulder as his other hand moved to apply pressure to my now bleeding wrist.

''Come on, Let us get you to the bathroom, I will patch you back up'' He muttered quietly, His accented voice firm however, Clearly leaving no room for argument.

I nodded slowly, My eyes training on the floor as he gently tugged me off of the couch.

I followed behind him as he lead me to a bathroom.

He took me over to the sink before letting up a bit of the pressure on my wrist.

I winced slightly as he turned on the water, Pulling my wrist under the cold spray to wash off some of the blood.

Once the blood was washed off, He lead me over to a small chair that was sitting in the corner of the room.

Based upon the first aid kits under the chair, This must not be the first time he's had to patch someone up.

I nervously sat down on the chair as he pulled out a first aid kit before crouching down in front of me.

''Hold out your arm'' He ordered calmly, Opening the first aid kit as he spoke.

I held still as he carefully used a cotton ball to put some sort of antibiotic from the kit on my wrist.

It felt cold and seemed to numb the slight burning pain I had started to register by now.

Once that was done, He tilted my wrist to the side slightly, Examining the stitching.

''None of them look damaged'' He commented calmly before grabbing some gauze and bandages from the kit.

I held still as he gently rebandaged my wrist, The gauze providing a laying between my skin and the bandages.

I kept my eyes trained firmly on the floor as Emory finished rebandaging my wrist.

I expected him to pull away as soon as he was done, However, Instead, He gently held my wrist for a moment longer, His grip gentle.

I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do.

Thankfully, before I could have a breakdown or anything like that, The door bell rung.

Emory got up, gently patting my head before heading to answer the door.

Sighing, I rubbed at my eyes, Trying to cast away the apathetic feeling that had been clinging to my very bones since I saw my home.

''Aspen, Come here'' Emory called out from somewhere else in the house.

Swallowing nervously, I stepped out of the bathroom, Heading in the direction of the family room.

Sure enough, Emory was sitting in one of the chairs as a smiling woman sat calmly on the couch.

She had black hair, Blue eyes and slight smile lines on her face.

As soon as she spotted me, Her smile grew even more.

She stood up, Smiling at me still as she turned to face me.

''Hello there! Aspen, Correct?'' She checked, Her smile never faltering as she moved over to stand a little closer to me.

She was quite a lot taller than me, She might even be about as tall as Emory, Which was rather surprising.

''Y-Yeah. . .'' I squeaked out nervously.

Her smile seemed to grow bigger, ''Nice to meet you Aspen, I'm Molly Smith'' She said happily, Holding her hand out as she spoke.

Cautiously, I accepted her outstretched hand, Giving her a small hand shake before pulling away.

I wasn't really sure how to act around happy people, The lack of knowledge always made me cautious, After all, I was used to anger and hate being directed at me, That's familiar to me! Yet someone being cheerful? Someone being kind? That was unknown, And the unknown was scary.

Maybe that's why Emory scares me so much. . .

''Sit'' Emory ordered calmly, Gesturing to the chair next to his.

Swallowing nervously, I sat down next to him, My eyes remaining trained on the happy lady.

''Well now! Do you know why I'm here?'' She asked kindly, Pulling some papers out of a folder like suitcase she brought with her.

''N-No?'' I squeaked out quietly, A feeling of nervous anticipation filling me as I waited for her to explain.

She shot Emory a look before turning back to me, Her smile still bright.

''Well, I work with the adoption agency, And I'm here to see if this house here is fit enough for you to live here, Temporarily of course'' She said, Adding on the last part as if she almost forgot.

''Live here?'' I parroted back, Startled by the fact that I was going to remain here.

He. . . Doesn't want me gone?

-----------------------------------------------------------

 And we have a late chapter that is rather boring, Emory is adopting Aspen though, Nothing much, Any guesses how that's going to go?

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen