Chapter 40: School

No more fluff times! And no more Aspen Pov (For this chapter that is)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Carefully balancing the homework I had for the students today, I managed to open the classroom door without spilling the papers all over the floor.

Setting them down on my desk, I let out a sigh, Smiling happily as I placed my hands on my hips, Looking around the dim, Empty classroom.

Right, Got work to do before the students arrive!

Smiling, I sat down behind my desk, Pulling out the tests I still had left to grade.

Only a few, I can get this done in time. . .

--- Time skip ---

The sound of footsteps caught my attention, Drawing me away from making little encouraging doodles on one of the student's homework sheets.

A young girl with blonde hair and brown eyes was standing in the doorway.

I smiled happily as I went through my mental check list.

Let's see. . .Blonde hair and brown eyes, How many people do I know who have that? Ten, How many are teens, Three, Two are girls and only one would be in my class.

''Good morning Carrie!'' I greeted happily, Smiling as she scowled slightly, Moving over to her desk without even looking in my direction.

''How's your day going?'' I asked, Feeling a little un-easy with the silence.

I didn't really like it when people were quiet for a long time, It always made me worry that I had somehow upset them.

''It was going well but now a certain someone won't shut up and let me be alone'' Carrie grumbled out quietly, Pulling out her notebook and a pen as she spoke.

Someone's not leaving her alone? Is she being harass- Oh

''Okay, Okay, I can take a hint'' I responded happily, My cheerfulness not nearly as genuine as I always made it out to be.

Sitting back down, I went back to making little doodles next to my notes on some of the student's homework.

'Your first guess was correct! Trust your instincts!' I wrote next to one of the kid's erased answers as I doodled a little bird next to the note, Putting a circle around the advice like it was a speech bubble.

So many of them second guess themselves. . .

The sound of someone entering my classroom made me look up, My normal smile plastered to my face.

''Good morning!'' I greeted happily, Hoping the brown haired student in front of me wouldn't ask me why I didn't greet them by name.

I have so many students with brown hair. . .Which one is this one again?

Before I could get too far into trying to figure this out, The bell rang, Signaling the start of school.

Smiling brightly, I turned to greet the kids reluctantly streaming in through the doorway.

''Goood morning class!'' I sang out cheerfully, My smile growing slightly as the grumpy children sat down in their seats.

I heard a few grumbled responses and more than a few 'fuck you' from them as well.

''Now now, No need to be all grumpy'' I chided happily, Smiling at the students before me.

Pulling out the clipboard with the student's names and attendance records on it, I looked out over the tired looking children before me.

I was about to start roll call when another student came in a little later than the others.

Dark blue eyes. . .Annoyed expression. . .Amber-ish hair. . Channing!

''Goood morning Channing!'' I greeted happily, My heart happily skipping a beat at the sight of him.

It was easy to remember he was important to me, His name on the other hand, That always takes a moment for me.

''Mm, Hey Daniel'' The sweet boy grumbled out quietly as he went over to his seat.

Smiling happily, I turned back to the list of names on the paper, About to start roll call again when there was yet another interruption.

I felt a twinge of annoyance before I tamped it down, Brightening my smile as I turned to see who was in the doorway.

It was the small mousy brown haired kid who was always sad and jumpy.

Wasn't his name tree or something?. . .Aspen!

And standing right behind him was his not-brother.

''Good morning Aspen! You made it just in time!'' I said happily, Ignoring the small nagging feeling that I should have said something more to him.

Wasn't there something special I learned last time?. . .Well, If it's important it'll come back to me. . .

''Please take your seat, We're about to do roll call!'' I said, Defaulting back to happiness in my slight confusion.

I smiled happily as the German in the doorway frowned slightly before leaving.

Odd. . .Maybe he's having a bad day, I'll have to be extra nice to him then when he comes to pick up Aspen.

Turning back to the clipboard, I started roll call.

--- Time skip ---

I sighed happily as I sat down with the other teachers at lunch.

The students were in their cute little groups, Talking in-between bites of their lunches.

''Ugh. . .So many stupid questions. . .So many blank looks. . .'' One of my co-workers groaned out, Burying her sorrow in a concerningly large cup of coffee.

''Oh come now, You're shaping the people of the future! Isn't the joy of helping them out weighing the few less then educated questions?'' I said happily, Trying to reason with the other teacher.

She just gave me an annoyed stare.

''Daniel, Your opinion doesn't matter in this case.'' My co-worker growled out, Glaring at me over her cup of coffee before taking a large gulp of it.

I felt a sting of hurt in my heart at that, However, I just smiled brightly through it.

''Okay!'' I said happily, Going back to munching on the salad I brought for lunch.

They're stressed, No need to get upset over mean words from them, I'm sure they don't mean it. . .

----------------------------------------------------------------------

And a late chapter. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen