Chapter 84: Comfort

Bits of backstory + fluff

-----------------------------------------------------------

Emory and I spent the start of the day cooking and just enjoying each other's company, We even decided to eat breakfast while cuddling on the couch instead of at the kitchen table.

It was nice.

Afterwards, Emory took to reading a book, Holding it low enough for me to read it as well.

While we read we got to talking a fair bit, And soon enough, We got onto the topic of childhoods letting me get to learn more about Emory.

He liked the color blue. He had grown up part time in the countryside of Germany, Spending his winters in America with with one of his mothers before his father convinced her to join him and their other wife in Germany. He keeps a picture of his full extended family in his office at both work and home as well as a picture in his wallet at all times.

When he was younger, He and some of the other kids that lived nearby would explore the woods that took up a great deal of the countryside. One of them ended up getting bit by a wolf and Emory had to apply pressure to the wound until their parents could arrive. 

Every now and then, He'd mention something about his Ex's every now and then but always seemed to catch himself before changing the topic.

He seemed to be tip toeing around that topic. . .

Eventually, After I tentatively told him that Robin had told me about his Ex's, He opened up about them.

Turns out Robin's retelling was a more child friendly version of the events that went down.

Apparently they weren't just taking their anger out on him and gaslighting him, They would also try and force themselves on him when they 'felt like it'.

He didn't like telling others about that part of what happened, But he trusted me enough, Opening up a bit to me, Explaining that was in part why he chose to become a cop when he was no longer able to be a firefighter, Wanting to help others who had been through the same hell as he had been through.

The mood after that was a bit grim to say the least, So in an attempt to try and distract my boyfriend from the rather dark topic we were talking about, I hesitantly tugged slightly on his shirt's sleeve, Drawing his attention.

He let out a questioning hum before his body froze in surprise as I quickly pressed a chaste kiss to his lips.

''How. . . You're- You're a very strong man to have made it through all that'' I tried to sooth, Wanting to make my boyfriend happy again.

A small smile quirked at his lips, His expression softening slightly as he stared down at me.

''Thank you'' He murmured, Leaning down to gently press a kiss to my forehead.

I let out a small sigh, Relaxing against his side as he gently cupped my face with his hands.

He had his gloves off, Seemingly not nearly as self-conscious about his scars while around me.

It made my heart warm to know that.

''How about we change the topic to a less grim one'' Emory suggested gently, Holding up the book we had been reading before, Which, ironically enough, Was a murder mystery.

I nodded slightly before snuggling closer to his side, Resting my head on his chest as he draped an arm across my shoulders.

We read in silence for a while before a small, Nagging voice at the back of my mind wondered: Did he feel like he was forced to have sex with me too?

I did my best to appear to still be paying full attention to the book we were reading, But, I apparently wasn't very good at pretending though.

''Something is the matter?'' Emory questioned, Closing the book and setting it aside as he spoke, Making me jump slightly in surprise.

''N-No'' I started to say before Emory calmly cut me off with a single 'Aspen.'.

''Just. . .Worried that you might have felt forced to do stuff with me'' I admitted, Worriedly fussing with my shirt sleeves while I spoke, Refusing to look at him.

He didn't say anything to that, His silence making me nervous.

''I-I don't want to make you uncomfortable or make you feel pressured 'Cause you're the best thing that's ever happened to me in forever and I don't want to upse-'' I started to ramble, Worried and starting to freak out, My eyes starting to mist over a bit.

Before my little freak out could get worse, Warm arms wrapped around me and pulled me in for a hug.

''Shh I am not upset, I did not feel forced, You have not made me uncomfortable'' He assured me, His hands gently rubbing at my back in a soothing manner.

He continued to gently murmur soothing words to me, Continuing to gently rub at my back and arms until I had calmed down.

''Sorry. . .I didn't mean to. . .'' I started to apologize for crying before Emory shut me up with a gentle kiss to my lips.

My brain started to short circuit as he carefully pushed me down to the couch, His mouth never once leaving mine.

Eventually, After a moment, He moved back, Breaking off our kiss.

''Love, You have nothing to be sorry about. You have done nothing wrong. It is alright'' He assured me firmly, His hands gently holding mine before moving down to my wrists.

I blinked once in confusion, My body catching up with what was going on a lot faster than my brain.

''Aspen, I love spending time with you, And I greatly enjoyed our. . .Time together in the bed'' He informed me, A smile quirking at his lips at the last part, His oh so casual way of bringing it up made a small bit of heat rise to my face.

''I. . .I didn't mean to freak out I just. . .Don't want to loose you'' I admitted hesitantly, Glancing slightly away from him as I spoke, Finding it hard to focus on what I wanted to say with him propped up over me.

''You are not about to loose me, I am not about to just up and leave you'' He promised, Moving us both once again so that we were both laying on the couch, Held in each others arms as he finally let my wrists go.

''I. . .I like you a lot'' I mumbled, Burying my face in his chest while I spoke.

He let out a small chuckle, His hands moving to gently comb his fingers through my hair.

''I like you a lot too'' He murmured back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

'M tired, But here we go, Calm before the (light) trauma :)

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen