Chapter 57: Comfort

:) 'Aight, Fluff time. . .

---------------------------------------------------------

It was nice to go home, Emory didn't question what had happened, Instead, He was patiently quiet and calm beside me.

At least. . .He seemed calm.

He was concentrating on the road in front of us a lot more so than he needed to be with how empty the road was.

. . .So. . .He's maybe upset?

Considering I might have made him upset, I swallowed nervously, Tucking my hands under my legs as I hunched over slightly, Trying to make myself smaller.

The smaller I was, The less likely I'd be a target of any kind, That was something helpful I had learned from living with my dad.

Although, It didn't seem to be working too well right now.

''Are you alright?'' Emory questioned after a moment.

''I'm fine'' I whispered back as I tried to figure out why he's upset.

Is he mad that he had to leave work early to come get me? Is he upset because he wanted some time away from me and now he's forced to drive me home?

After a moment of silent, Building concern, I jolted in surprise as tingles raced up my neck.

My eyes snapped over towards Emory, Shocked by the fact he was gently resting his hand on the back of my neck, His glove off.

A shiver went though my body as he gently rubbed at the tense muscles of my neck before he pulled his hand back, Returning it to the steering wheel.

The skin on his hand was covered in a patchwork of scars.

Staring at them made my heart clench slightly in concern, They looked like they hurt or had really hurt at one point.

Is that why he always wears gloves?. . .

My gaze snapped back down to my lap when he briefly glanced back over at me, Feeling a bit embarrassed for being caught staring.

After a long while, The large gate that worked as the entrance to Emory's property came into view.

''E-Emory?'' I asked quietly after a while.

He hummed as he stepped out of the car, Heading to unlock the large gate.

I waited until he got back in after opening the gate.

''You wanted to say something?'' Emory questioned quietly as the gate closed behind us.

''I uh. . .Wanted to say sorry. . .For upsetting you. . .'' I whispered quietly, Staring out the window as the car slowed down, Parking outside of the house.

He inhaled slowly before sighing.

''Why do you think I am upset?'' Emory questioned, His calm voice seeming calm but hiding what sounded like annoyed rage.

Nervously, I started to rub at my arms.

''I-I don't know. . .I'm-I'm sorry I assumed. . .'' I started, My voice shaking slightly.

I was drained from dealing with all the emotions of today.

 My emotions were frayed and unable to really deal with the fact that I had assumed wrong and had upset him.

''Aspen, You do not need to apologize'' Emory assured me quietly, Reaching out to rest his hand on top of my head.

I stared at him with wide eyes as he moved his hand to the back of my head before pulling me as close as he could with the arm rests and cupholder between us in the car.

''You are not in trouble, And I am not upset with you'' Emory assured me quietly before continuing.

''However you were not wrong to assume I was upset'' He explained before letting me go, Getting out of the car without another word.

I stumbled out of the car as well, Following behind him as he unlocked the front door, Ushering me inside the house.

A small part of me wanted to press him on this subject and ask him why he's upset.

However, I learned when I was young that it's not a good idea to press those who are upset in any way.

Pressing them was a good way to get hit. . .

So, Instead, I meekly followed close at his heels, Mindful of how loud I was while I walked.

He of course, Noticed the change in my behavior.

''Come, Sit down'' He murmured, Placing a hand on my back to gently steer me towards the couch.

He and I sat side by side, Emory's arm remaining on my back, A comforting weight.

Hesitantly, I leaned a little bit into his touch.

In response to that, He lifted his hand up to gently run his fingers through my hair, Encouraging me closer until my head was lightly resting on his shoulder.

Slowly, I closed my eyes, Some of the tension leaving my body as I listened to the very faint heartbeat I could hear in my ears.

It was either the blood rushing past my ears as I calmed down, Or it was Emory's heartbeat.

Either way, It was steady, And with the fingers gently running through my hair as well as the general feeling of safety I felt around Emory, I was slowly starting to drift off into the peaceful abyss of sleep.

Before I could fall the rest of the way, Emory gently squeezed at my shoulder until I opened my eyes, Wanting nothing more than to just go to sleep.

I let out a small little sigh as he moved out from under me.

He doesn't want to cuddle?

He gently held onto me until I was laying out on the couch, My head resting on one of the soft tasseled pillows.

My eyes drifted closed as I curled up into a little ball, The room felt so much colder without another body pressed up against mine.

However, After a moment, A somewhat heavy blanket was draped over me and tucked in so I was wrapped in a soft cocoon of warmth.

Letting out a small, Tiredly peaceful sigh, I leaned into Emory's touch once again, This time as he brushed my hair out of my face, Using his gloved hand this time.

--- Time skip ---

I was woken some time later, The house smelling like freshly cooked food.

''Time to wake up, You need to come eat'' Emory murmured gently as he lightly rubbed at my arm, Trying to coax me into getting up.

------------------------------------------------------------

>:D

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen