Chapter 43: Conversations

Back to Aspen's Pov! Woo!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I slowly started to get up, About to head to Daniel's side to see if he was alright when he rested his head heavily in his hands.

Before I could though, Channing hurried to the blonde's side.

''Daniel, Daniel you okay?'' Channing asked, Actual concern in his voice as he placed his hands on the other man's shoulders.

I felt a bit hurt over the fact that he cared for the other man so much. . .Way more than he ever had for me.

However, I stamped down that nasty feeling.

I'm just being bitter. . .And Immature. . .

''I-I'm alright Channing, I just. . .I forgot. . .I forgot something so important. . .'' Daniel muttered, Seeming distraught over his lapse in memory.

I watched on as Emory moved to stand next to the other man, Resting his gloved hand on Daniel's back in an attempt at providing the other man comfort.

''You are alright, Just breath'' Emory assured the other man, His voice quiet and gentle, Like the times he comforted me.

I blinked slowly, My heart aching slightly at the scene in front of me.

I wanted to help comfort him like Emory and Channing, However, I didn't know how to. . .And I didn't want to mess this all up. . .

Why am I making it all about me. . .Daniel is the one who's suffering. . .

I felt guilt starting to bubble up inside me at that thought, Shame close on the heels of that emotion.

''I'm so sorry Mr. . . Uh. . .'' Daniel started to say, Pausing as he seemingly remembered he didn't remember Emory's last name.

''Miller, And you do not need to say sorry'' Emory said calmly to the other man, Moving his hand from Daniel's back to rest it in his hair.

I watched as Daniel turned to look up at Emory with concerned ice blue eyes.

''It does not appear to be your fault that you forgot what we were'' Emory assured the other man, Moving his hand down to gently cup Daniel's face as he spoke.

''Still, I'm very sorry, I must have come off as such a jerk'' Daniel continued, Clearly feeling guilty for forgetting.

Before anything else could be said, There was a knock on the classroom door.

''Daniel, If you're going to be staying late, Lock the doors after you leave'' The school's head janitor said simply, Poking his head in through the open door as he spoke.

''Ah, Right, Sorry Felix! I'll hurry up!'' Daniel apologized, His eyes darting down to his desk as he moved his head away from Emory's hand.

The only response from the cranky old janitor was a small grunt before he left to get back to whatever he had been doing before.

''If you want, We can continue this conversation at my home'' Emory offered, Taking a step back so Daniel could get up from his chair.

''Ah no, No thank you I. . . Have a lot of things to think about. . .Hopefully. . .'' Daniel said, His voice less cheerful sounding.

Emory nodded at that before looking over at me.

He tilted his head slightly to the side before heading towards the door as Daniel moved over to Channing.

Getting out of my seat, I kept my head down, Meekly following Emory out of the classroom, Leaving Channing to quietly whisper to Daniel.

I risked a glance up at the quiet man when I finally caught up with him.

My legs weren't nearly long enough to keep up with the taller man, So I ended up having to hurry to keep up.

After a moment of struggling to keep up with him, Emory slowed down his pace, Making it easier for me to walk beside him.

Heading outside, I had to squint my eyes due to the fact that sun was setting currently, Causing a few rays of light to somehow hit me right in my eyes.

Ducking my head, I hurriedly got into the passenger seat of Emory's car as he settled down in the drivers seat.

I kept quiet as Emory pulled out of the parking lot.

I felt oddly apathetic, The guilt and shame I had felt before had very quickly evaporated.

At least it's better then feeling sad?

--- Time skip ---

The sun had set a while ago when we finally arrived at Emory's house.

For some reason, The drive back to the house had been tense.

The feeling of tired apathy hadn't left me this entire time, Instead, It just seemed to grow with each passing moment.

Maybe losing sleep over worrying about all of this wasn't that good. . .

Emory placing his hand on my shoulder drew me out of my thoughts.

I stared at him silently for a moment before hurriedly getting out of the car.

I held my arms close to my chest as I followed Emory to the door, Trailing behind him like a lost puppy.

As soon as we were inside the house Emory shooed me up the stairs and into the room he'd been having me sleep in lately.

For a moment, I felt a spike of fear as I remembered constantly racing for my room back at my house, My dad usually drunk and chasing me.

Taking a shaky breath, I swallowed down my fear.

Instead, I blinked up at Emory, Confusion starting to fog my brain as he gently pushed me down so I was sitting on the edge of the bed.

Emory sat down beside me on the bed, His hand still resting firmly on my shoulder.

''What is the matter?'' Emory asked, Trying to make eye contact with me.

I hugged my arms close to my chest as I stared down at the floor.

''Nothing. . .'' I mumbled, The concerned feeling withering away with those simple words.

Emory was silent for a moment before he moved his hand off of my shoulder, Moving to gently grab my wrist.

''You are acting different'' Emory stated simply, His hand trailing down my arm so he could interlace our fingers together, Stopping me from wrapping my arms around myself.

''I-I think I'm just sleepy'' I mumbled, My eyes actually feeling a bit heavy.

''Are you not sleeping okay in here?'' Emory questioned, Actually sounding concerned.

''N-No, I'm. . .Fine. . .'' I whispered.

I'm always fine, I have to be, Everyone else has problems. . .Mine are tiny in comparison. . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A slightly late chapter, But uh. . .Here we go!

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen