Chapter 95:

Emory pov :D

---------------------------------------------------

It had been a long. Long day.

There had been so much damage thanks to the storm. . .So many wounded people that I had to help drag out of piles of rubble, So much suffering. . .So much blood.

I and other officers helped the firefighters remove people from collapsed buildings before driving them to the hospital or many of the pop up emergency hospitals that were handling the less gravely wounded that couldn't be fit into the packed emergency rooms of the actual hospitals.

Person after person, Blood and viscera and car lights as I rushed them to a place where people can try and save their lives.

A child or a dozen. . .Women, Men and those that didn't fit in those pre-made boxes. . .New to this world and ones on their way out. . .I helped dig them out of the rubble, Drove them bleeding and crying to places where there were so many more people, Some who could hopefully help.

By the time things settled down, I had blood coating my clothes and dried to my skin, Dirt, Dust and all sorts of other grime sticking to said blood.

Most of it belonged to those I pulled free and or drove to safety, But some of it was mine. . .

I had stopped in the parking lot of one of the pop up hospitals, Waiting around with a few of my officers for any other calls.

All of us silent as we did our best to process all we've seen in such a short time, All the suffering. . .All the mourning and death. . .

That's when I met someone unexpected.

A certain amber haired boy and a woman who appeared to be his mother were handing out water bottles to people with the other volunteers.

I felt as shocked as Channing looked when we finally came face to face.

Seeing him here, Among all the destruction and death was quite. . .Jarring?

Regardless, I did not get to stay and rest long as we got a call to help with yet another person.

My team was tried, So I took the call.

By the time I was done, It was so very late in the evening.

I had gone back to where the volunteers were to let my officers know they could go home for the day, Many of them were relieved as they had family and or lovers waiting for them, No doubt worried.

Before I could return to my sweet little Aspen, I was stopped by someone timidly and quietly calling out to me.

Turns out Channing's mother had been abruptly called away to deal with something high priority, Leaving the teen behind at the volunteer station with a promise to pick him back up once she was done.

It was swiftly becoming night, The sun starting it's descent from the sky.

Not wanting to leave him without a way home, I offered to drive him.

I kept cordial with the teen, Content to see him calm down slowly in my presence, An easy if not tired smile on the boy's face.

With how late it was, I shouldn't have been surprised when Aspen called me.

He seemed. . .Distressed at first, But he calmed down after a few assurances. . .That is until Channing spoke up.

I was sure the words I spoke to him afterwards didn't seem to make it through, Making me concerned.

As soon as I dropped Channing off at his home, I started back towards mine.

I need a drink. . .Something to help me forget this day. . .

Letting out a sigh, I shook my head slightly, Doing my best to dissipate that idea.

Aspen's father was an alcoholic, Bringing alcohol around him will most likely not be good for him. . .Though, Maybe something else. . .

Getting an idea, I changed course, Heading to a nearby store instead.

I could feel people staring at me as I purchased the items, Which was understandable. . .No one else here was coated in blood after all.

Finally though, After visiting a second store, I had the items I deemed required after my past few mess ups, With that done, I headed back home.

I hope he's asleep. . .That way I can clean myself up enough so as to not distress him. . .

The sticks and small tree limbs that had been scattered across the yard had been cleaned up, Placed in neat little piles near the stone walls around my yard.

. . .Well someone was busy. . .

Stepping inside, I took off my shoes before heading deeper into the house.

Everything was neatly placed away in it's place. . .Clean as can be.

Aspen wasn't on the couch, But his blanket was.

Frowning slightly, I carried the paper bag containing the perishable items to the fridge, Setting it inside, Noticing while doing so that the meal I had left in there the night before for him was still where I had placed it.

Did he not eat today?. . .Going to have to work on that. . .

I closed the door and hid the other package away in a drawer before continuing my search for Aspen.

He's probably asleep. . .It's been a long day after all. . .

Making my way upstairs, I slowly started to unbutton my shirt, Fully expecting to see an Aspen shaped lump under the blankets when I entered our room.

Yet, He wasn't there.

Frowning, I looked around the room before heading towards the bathroom, My heart beat starting to pick up.

I knocked on the door and waited a second before swinging it open.

No Aspen.

Oh no. . .

Rushing out of our bedroom, I hurried to the guest room I had put him in on his first night here, My heart starting to pound.

The amount of damage someone can do to themselves in one day was starting to rush through my head.

Swinging the door open, I felt a burst of relief then worry when I spotted him snuggled down under the blankets on the bed.

He didn't appear to be moving. . .

I'd feel it if he were in danger of dying again, Right?

Hurrying to his side, I felt a bit bad for doing so, But proceeded to pull the blankets off of him so I could check him over.

My heart sunk as my eyes landed on his arms as he started to wake up, Confused and dazed with sleep.

Aspen. . .

---------------------------------------------------------

:D Emory Pov Ya'll

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen