Chapter 66:

Mmm. . .

-----------------------------------------------

Hesitantly, I moved closer to Emory, Laying my head on his shoulder and letting my eyes droop closed.

I felt comfortable and safe here with him.

As I started to drift back to sleep again, I remembered, He had his gloves off.

A small bit of pleased glee filled me, A feeling I wasn't exactly used to.

He was trusting me with something he seemed insecure about, His hands, And that just soothed something inside me.

Without much thought, In my tired state, I reached out, Holding his hand loosely.

Tingles danced across my skin as my mind faded away.

I was too tired to even notice Emory lacing his fingers with mine, Holding my hand a little tighter.

Nor did I notice the light kiss that was placed on the top of my head.

I was already out like a light.

--- Emory Pov ---

I had woken at sometime late at night to my sweet little sapling curling up against my side, One of his hand's loosely resting in mine.

My amusement grew when I noticed he had done so seemingly without thought.

It was nice to see he trusted me enough to let his guard down around me as well as seek comfort from me.

Leaning over as I laced my fingers with his, I placed a light kiss to the top of his fluffy haired head.

A small sigh left his lips, Snuggling closer to me.

Carefully, I moved the both of us so we were laying side by side in a much more comfortable position.

My heart soared slightly as he snuggled closer to me, His body relaxing further until he was limp beside me.

So sweet. . .Such a shame he rarely seems to be so calm and relaxed when awake. . .

At least that was going to change.

Moving which school he goes to will give me more time to deal with a certain amber brown haired boy. . .

It wouldn't hurt to see if I couldn't figure out why the other adult was constantly showing forced happiness.

There's something going on with Daniel and I was going to figure out what exactly had happened to him.

I was determined to ease as many concerns and problems off of Aspen's back as I could.

He's had a hard enough of a life, It's about time he caught a break.

Settling back down, I closed my eyes, Not inciting any further contact with Aspen while he slept, If he were to move closer to me or cuddle me during his sleep then I wouldn't be one to complain.

I slept lightly that night, Waking every time I felt Aspen stir in his sleep.

I'd sooth him as best I could without waking him up, Quietly hushing him until his features would relax and his body would stop tensing up in his sleep.

Eventually, Dawn came and I managed to extract myself from under Aspen who had moved to cuddle close to my side while he slept.

I replaced myself with a soft pillow, Doing my best yet again to not wake him.

Moving to the fire, I collected some logs from the nearby brick covered wood box, Relighting the embers in the fireplace, Getting the flames back up to what they were last night.

It was somewhat amusing to me to think about how much I loved fires and the warmth from them when my job used to entitle putting out burning buildings and the like.

Getting back up, I closed the fine metal mesh that helped keep the larger embers from falling out of the fireplace and onto the brick that surrounded it.

Making sure the fire was well contained, I glanced back at Aspen, Pulling the blanket a bit higher so it was tucked up around his neck a bit more firmly.

As I did so, My hand brushed against his far too skinny arm.

A small disappointed frown started to form on my face as I backed away from my peacefully sleeping soulmate.

It didn't sit right with me whenever I saw kids being mistreated.

My father raised me to believe that children were a blessing so long as you raised them right.

You shouldn't mistreat a life you are given to care for and love.

That teaching was partly what made me start doing little 'self defense courses' for the nearby schools, Tim and I didn't really care about teaching the kids self defense, Most of them already know how to defend themselves after all.

It was purely a guise to try and figure out which kids are acting. . .Different then the others, To find those that might be being mistreated at home and deal with them and their guardians properly.

Moving out of the living room, I headed through my home, Making my way to the kitchen.

Aspen hadn't eaten anything before bed, Which would be something I'd frown upon a bit if he was anyone else, But considering how concerningly thin he was, This was something I couldn't let fly.

I had a fair amount of time before I had to wake him up for his new first day.

Something a little more normal for breakfast but still something that would take time so I could think my plans for the day through.

Homemade bread. . .Perfect. . .

I had always loved it when my mother would make homemade bread, It was such a comforting meal.

Setting about making said bread, I started to sink back into my thoughts again.

I'd no doubt have to introduce my parents to Aspen and the other two fairly soon thanks to my visit with my uncles.

They'd most likely be breathing down my neck soon if I did not, Word of my troubles with Aspen will have no doubt reached them by now.

Another thing my father had drilled into me since I was young was that soulmates are a blessing and you shouldn't mistreat yours.

He taught me not to be a pushover or to accept a soulmate who is cruel, However he also taught me to not instantly give up on a soulmate because of flaws or wounds, Mental or otherwise.

I wonder what he'd have thought of Aspen's poor mother. . .

After the raid, It was discovered that she was also a victim in all of this.

She had many mental issues stemming from her time spent with Aspen's father.

Things should be looking up for her though.

She had been sent to a hospital that can care for her and help her heal from a lifetime with her sorry excuse for a human let alone a husband.

It's a possibility that we might even be able to find her actual soulmates to help her heal quicker.

Things were starting to slot into place in my mind as I continued to mull over my thoughts and plans.

Things should start to get better for all those involved in this situation. . .With one exception. . .

---------------------------------------------------------

Next chapter is fully in Emory's pov. . . :)

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen