Chapter 54:

:T

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting up at the front of the bus with the teacher and the problem students felt a lot like a punishment.

I kept my hands in my lap, My whole body tense as I sat beside Daniel.

After a while of sitting quietly, I eventually got hit in the back of my head by a paper airplane.

Wincing, I looked down at my lap as Daniel's attention turned to me.

''You alright?'' He questioned worriedly, A hand moving up gently rest on the back of my head.

''I'm fine. . .'' I whispered quietly, My face heating up slightly thanks to all the attention he was giving me.

''Hey now, No throwing things in the bus'' Daniel called back to the other kids in the bus.

Based upon the loud chatter from the other kids, I assumed no one heard him.

Lowering my head, I stared down at the acid trip colored bus seats.

. . .How did someone even come up with this pattern?. . .I'm actually a bit curious. . .

''Look Aspen! A goose'' Daniel said cheerfully, Pointing to a small pond out the window when the bus pulled up to a stop at a stop light.

I turned just in time to see a goose lunge at the bus's door, Trying to bite it.

Flinching back, I was torn between feeling scared and feeling sorry for the pissed off bird that was repeatedly bashing it's head into the bus's door in an attempt to get inside and kill us all.

Daniel winced in sympathy before getting up, Moving to open the door.

''Shoo shoo now, You're going to seriously hurt yourself'' Daniel started ti say to the goose as he opened the door.

That wasn't a good idea.

Not even remotely.

To no one's surprise, The goose instantly started biting at Daniel's legs, Managing to snap him more than a few times as he hopped out of the bus, Trying to shoo the goose away from his legs.

''Go on, Go! Stop biting me!'' Daniel squeaked out, His voice sounding like he was in pain as he tried to shoo the goose away.

Inhaling slowly, I got up, Stepping quickly out of the bus.

I could feel eyes on me as I hurried over to try and help Daniel.

Getting behind the goose, I grabbed it, Pinning it's wings to it's back as it started to kick.

As soon as Daniel stepped out of biting range, I let it go, Quickly stumbling away from it.

One thing I learned throughout the years of abuse from my dad was how to avoid getting hit. . .Mostly well.

I managed to clumsily step out of the way of it's next bite before Daniel grabbed my arm, Tugging me forwards and gently pushing me back onto the bus, Following close behind me.

Stumbling slightly, I quickly returned to my seat as Daniel closed and locked the bus's door.

''Alright. . .Class. . .Lesson of the day. . .When you see a wild animal, Don't interact with it. . .Just. . .Leave it be'' Daniel said, His voice shaking slightly as he regained his composure.

I could hear a few kids snickering as Daniel sat back down beside me, Letting out a shaky sigh as he did so.

The light had changed a while ago, But thanks to the little attack, No one had driven through, Everyone was too busy staring.

Since everyone was on the bus now, The driver put the bus back into gear and went back to continuing to drive to the zoo.

I hugged my arms close to my body as Daniel took some butterfly patterned band-aids out of his bag, Carefully starting to put said band-aids on the bites that were bleeding, His once pure white attire now stained with blood and dirt.

''And here I thought geese were gentle beasts'' Daniel said cheerfully, His voice wobbling slightly.

I shrugged slightly, Going back to studying the pattern of the bus's seats.

''Aspen?'' Daniel asked after a while, Catching my attention.

Looking up at him, I briefly met his icy blue gaze before looking back down at the bus seat.

Am I in trouble?

''Thank you for coming out to help me'' He started, His voice the quietest I've ever heard it before.

''However'' He continued, Making my heart sink further.

I slowly clasped my hands together, Tightly digging my fingernails into my skin as I waited for him to insult me, Bracing myself so to say.

''You shouldn't have tried to help, You could have seriously gotten hurt'' He chided gently, His tone sounding concerned instead of upset.

Frowning slightly, I shrunk in on myself slightly.

''I'm sorry'' I whispered quietly, Feeling bad for making him concerned.

Shame was starting to fill me when Daniel spoke again.

''Oh no no no, Please don't be sorry, It was very kind of you, I just ask that you be a bit more careful'' He said, Hurrying to try and soothe me.

I flinched slightly again when he gently rested one of his gloved hand on my arm, Trying to comfort me.

Before anything else could be said, We had reached the zoo's parking lot.

Everyone slowly filed out of the bus, Most people hanging out with their friends in little groups when we all finally made it out.

Seeing as the only friend I had here was busy helping Daniel make sure everything was in order, I was sitting off to the side of the school groups.

I could hear the songs and calls of the animals of the zoo from all the way out at the entrance.

A distant bird cry, A lion roaring, A. . .Who even knows. . .Making a. . .Screaming sound?

Oh wait. . .That's a child. . .

''Alright everyone! Come get a ticket and let's head on in! Remember to stay with the group and follow the rules!'' Daniel said cheerfully to us as he practically skipped over to us.

I could see more than a few kids struggling to keep from snickering.

He doesn't deserve this. . .

I opened my mouth, About to speak up before falling quiet, The words unable to leave my mouth.

A small twisting feeling was starting inside my heart.

. . .I'm being a coward again. . .I can't stand up for him. . .I want to but. . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welp. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen