Chapter 20: Little lie

Yeah. . . Here we go. . .

-------------------------------------------------------------

The day seemed to drag on painfully slow.

Everywhere I went, The other kids would stop and stare at me, Whispering behind my back.

They watched me, Clearly hoping for me to try something.

I could practically feel their blood lust in their gazes as they stared at me.

The teachers weren't any better really, They were watching me closely as if I was a wild dog that could bite at any moment.

I felt a lot like an experiment in a test tube, Something to be stared at, A thing, Not a person. . .

Well. . .Guess it's time to go home. . . That's slightly better. . . At least I won't get stared at. . .

I lowered my head as I slowly started to weave through the crowd of kids heading to the door of our homeroom, Eager to leave school and get to their lives.

''Aspen, Will you wait a moment?'' Daniel called out cheerfully, Making me pause at the door.

I swallowed nervously before moving out of the stream of kids, Standing beside the doorway.

Some of the kids started to whisper, Pausing so they could stare at me again.

I ducked my head slightly, Staring down at the floor as I wrapped my arms around my waist, Trying to make myself appear smaller.

Smaller targets are harder to hit. . .

''Go on now, Head on home you guys'' Daniel said, Cheerfully shooing the kids out, Pausing every few seconds to chat or joke with one kid or another.

He seems to fit in so well with them. . . He just seems so happy. . .

I looked away from him, A feeling of loneliness starting to edge it's way into my already far too complicated emotions.

Letting out a small sigh, I sat down, My back to the wall.

At least I can't get attacked from behind now. . .

After a while, The stampeding sound of kids hurrying out of school was gone.

''Hey Aspen! Why in the world are you sitting down there?'' Daniel asked cheerfully, Crouching down in front of me as he spoke.

''I was waiting'' I muttered quietly, Staring down at the tiles on the floor.

''For what silly?'' He asked, Reaching out to gently tilt my head up slightly so I was now looking at him, The fabric on his mark glove being the only thing to touch my skin.

I blinked in confused as I watched him pull his hand back, Still smiling warmly at me.

''Y-You told me to wait. . . I-I figured I was i-in trouble. . .''I answered, Rambling on ever so slightly as I got nervous, My voice getting quieter with each word I spoke.

''Oh that's silly, You haven't done anything to get in trouble'' He said cheerfully, A large smile still on his face.

''C-Can I leave than?'' I asked quietly, Starting to feel a bit like a trapped mouse.

''Nope!'' He said happily, Standing back up as he spoke.

Before I could ask why not, He continued.

''You remember Mr. Miller?'' Daniel asked, Moving back over to his desk.

Who?. . . Oh wait, Wasn't that Emory's last name?. . . Oh no. . .

I could feel a cold chill run up my back, Dread settling down in my heart.