Chapter 30:

Yeah, It's gonna have some fluff. . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sat silently in the backseat of the car as Emory drove us back to his house.

I could feel shame building in my chest as I had time to think over my actions.

He hadn't asked me yet where I had been or what I had been doing.

But I could feel the quiet tension in the car, I knew I wasn't gonna get away without being questioned.

I kept my eyes trained on my lap as Emory parked the car in the driveway.

I could very distantly hear the gate close further down the path.

Locked in again. . .

''Head inside Aspen'' Emory said simply, Turning off the car as he spoke.

Swallowing nervously, I got out of the car and headed for the front door.

Pausing at the door, I glanced back at Emory.

He was getting out of the car as well, Dialing a number as he did so.

I turned my gaze to the floor as he brushed past me slightly, Opening the door for me.

''Go sit down, I am going to speak with someone for a moment'' He muttered quietly, Gently nudging me inside.

I nodded meekly, Heading into the family room to sit tensely on the couch, Waiting for him to come in and yell at me.

Time seemed to tick by slowly, Agonizingly so.

He's been nice to me so far. . .Maybe he's just trying to convince me he's not mad so he'll catch me off guard. . .

A small part of my mind shunned that idea, But then again, It was only a small part.

Eventually, The long tense silence was finally broken by the surprisingly quiet sound of my doom.

I could feel my heart nervously skipping beats as Emory calmly walked past the family room and into the kitchen, His footsteps being the only sound from said man.

I held my breath as he did something in the kitchen before he returned to the room I was in.

I kept my eyes trained on the ground as he walked past me yet again.

The creak of the old fashioned fireplace that was along one of the walls was the only sound.

What. . .Is he going to burn me?

That would make sense, Seeing as from the sound of it, He had opened up the chimney and was already putting the firewood inside the fireplace.

I risked a glance up as he continued to tend to the fireplace.

Sure enough a match box rested next to where he was kneeling.

A moment later, He was pulling a match from it and striking it on the side.

There was a sizzle before he held it to the wood, Waiting for it to light before shaking out the match.

I watched as he closed the glass gate that stood between us and the slowly crackling to life fire.

As soon as he turned around I snapped my eyes to the ground again, My whole body tensing up.

Here we go. . .

Instead, He walked past me, Heading back into the kitchen.

I let out a small tense breath.

What is he planning?. . .Why can't he just get this all over with already. . .

Soon enough, He walked back into the room.

I kept my eyes on the ground as he walked past me.

''Aspen, Come over here'' I heard Emory say, His voice quieter then normal.

Swallowing nervously, I got up, Keeping my eyes trained on the ground, I moved to sit down next to Emory in front of the fire.

I braced myself for being yelled at.

Instead, He handed me a skewer.

I looked up in surprise.

Marshmallows?

I risked a glance up at Emory, Confused.

He arched an eyebrow before turning back to the fireplace.

''I had been informed that children like S'mores'' Emory said simply, Moving to stab a marshmallow onto a skewer as he spoke.

''I. . .Wouldn't know'' I muttered quietly, Staring into the warm dancing fire as Emory opened the glass gate between us and the fire, Allowing us to hold the skewered marshmallows over the flickering flames.

''Never had them before?'' He asked, Glancing down at me briefly.

I nodded, Watching the slowly cooking marshmallow closely.

Emory was silent beside me for a while before he sighed quietly.

''I am sorry, But I have to ask where you were today seeing as you were not at school'' Emory asked quietly, His voice breaking the tense silence.

''I. . .Was in some woods. . .'' I admitted quietly, Briefly considering how badly this conversation could go.

He arched an eyebrow, Waiting for me to continue.

Should I tell him about the bridge. . .And what I had been considering doing. . .

I stared into the fire, Swallowing thickly as my throat seemed to tighten at the thought of what I had been about to do.

I could feel the warmth from the fire starting to warm me up.

I found myself shivering faintly, Having not really noticed how cold I was before, However now that I was starting to warm up believe me I noticed.

I kept my eyes on the marshmallow that was slowly starting to turn burnt around the edges.

I had no clue how long I was supposed to hold it over the fire.

However my priorities were changed when I felt Emory gently grab onto my arm.

I found myself flinching slightly as my eyes snapped down to the ground, My breath hitching in fear.

Is this it? Is he gonna hurt me?

Instead, He gently tugged me closer to him until I was sitting between his legs, His chest to my back as his arms were on either side of me.

I blinked in confusion, He was just holding me in what could be considered, A hug.

After a moment, He pulled his marshmallow back from the fire.

''I do not believe we are supposed to let them burn'' He commented, Drawing my very distracted attention back to my currently burning marshmallow.

Oh!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, A bit of a fluffy chapter, Ya'll know that's never a good sign.

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen