Chapter 194: The Treasurer

The Emporium,

Meilfour, Merriheim.

6:23 a.m. 17th Banem 1092.

Kashi grunted as he opened his eyes. The daeben stared at the unfamiliar ceiling for a moment, wondering where he was. 'Ah, yes,' Kashi muttered as the events of the previous night slowly returned. 'I must have fallen asleep.' The daeben yawned contentedly as he sat up on the couch and rubbed his neck. "Lune?" Kashi muttered as he scanned the room, but there was no sign of the songstress.

Clack!

Kashi turned to the entrance as a guard opened the door and walked into the room, followed by Lunette, who held two cups with steaming drinks. The daeben wordlessly stared at her, unsure of what to say as he recalled his tears from the previous night.

Lunette, as if sensing his unease, sat on the table in front of the sofa and smiled as she handed one of the cups to Kashi, "Hot chocolate? I had a feeling you would wake up soon."

"Ah, thanks," Kashi muttered as he accepted the cup. He blew on the cup and then lightly took a sip. The daeben then grasped the mug with both hands, relishing in its warmth as he looked up at Lunette with pensive eyes, "Um, about last night..."

Lunette revealed a heartwarming smile as she set down her cup and gazed into Kashi's eyes. "Yes? What about it?"

Kashi faltered, unable to speak another word. The songstress's smile was the most beautiful and calming thing he had ever experienced. But at the same time, it made him extremely uneasy. After experiencing the peace that smile could bring, what would his world be like if he never got to see it again.

Or worse, if the beautiful smile turned into a snarl of hatred.

"Nothing," Kashi murmured and then took a large swig of the chocolate drink as he turned his eyes away. "It's nothing."

"Kashi," Lunette called as she set her mug on the table. She grasped Kashi's hands, feeling the warmth emanating from them. "No matter what, my feelings will never change." Lunette's smile brightened as Kashi turned to her in shock. "So, feel free to take your time, and tell me when you are ready."

Kashi stared at Lunette, at a complete loss for words. He had so many things he wanted to say but did not know how to. Thousands of contradicting emotions, fear, joy, happiness, sorrow all clashed within his like a volcano about to erupt.

Kashi instinctively set down the mug, and before he knew it, had his arms wrapped around Lunette as he drew her in for a tight hug. Kashi buried his head in Lunette's shoulder as he muttered, "Thank you. Thank you." The daeben felt like a cry for help within the depths of his soul had finally been answered. Now he just had to muster up the courage to reveal the truth about his past... and what he was.

"Mm," Lunette murmured as she patted Kashi's head.

A few moments passed, with Kashi silently enjoying Lunette's embrace, but then, Kashi suddenly recalled his reason for coming to Merriheim, as well as those in his inner world. 'Ack, it's already been a few hours.' Kashi guiltily released himself from Lunette's embrace with an embarrassed smile. "I must have slept too comfortably. I actually forgot the reason I came to Merriheim."

"You slept well because you needed the rest," Lunette retorted. "Fighting and world domination are good and all, but make sure you do not neglect your body." She gave Kashi an accusatory glare as she questioned, "When was the last time you had a real meal."

"Real meal?" Kashi scratched his chin as an embarrassed smile played across his lips. "Kira and I prefer to live off the land. I cook whatever beast we find for dinner."