Chapter 166: Summit

Lymar Village,

Kirkcour Woods.

12:42 pm, 13th Banem 1092.

Crackle...

Kashi and his companions stood among the centaurs, faces serene as they watched the fallen centaurs' burial rites. Like most woodland tribes in this world, the centaur tribes chose to burn the dead bodies because wildernesses and deserted regions were home to many evil spirits that sought out freshly buried bodies to inhabit.

It was not unheard of for undead to rise from graveyards. The situation was much better in major cities because priests often blessed cemeteries and tombs to reduce undead corruption.

"Thank you, Kashi-dono." Darian expressed his gratitude as tears flowed down his cheeks. His heart ached as he looked across the burning pyres to the new widows and children that solemnly stood by the Lymar Tribe's chief. Determination burned in his eyes as he gripped a new spear strapped to his right flank. "I swear I will make the bastards responsible for this pay."

"That you will," Kashi promised as he watched the smoke plumes rise to the sky. Usually, this ritual would have been held at night, but because of the expeditory nature of Darian's next task, it was pushed to the afternoon. Kashi bowed to the burning pyres then turned around. He tapped Darian on the shoulder, "Come. We need to hurry if we're to reduce the number of pyres that will rise tonight."

"You are right." Darian solemnly murmured. He saluted his companions with a bow and then led Kashi, Shadow, and Larsial out of the village.

Darian halted at the village entrance when he saw ten young warriors awaiting their arrival. Darian's brows furrowed as he looked at the warriors. "Why are you all here?"

"The chief has asked that we escort you on this mission," an armored centaur stated with a salute. "Please allow us this honor."

Darian's pupils trembled as images of his companions flitted through his eyes. "No, I cann-"

"Why don't you let them?" Kashi interrupted before Darian could complete his rejection. "Do not let your comrades' deaths cloud your judgment. We are embarking on a dangerous mission with no assurance of victory. Every able-bodied soldier we can get on our side is, without a doubt, a plus. Imagine if you died because you rejected help. Do you want your comrades to suffer guilt even after death?"

"Your words are harsh," Darian rebuked with a steely gaze.

"Harsh they may be, but true nonetheless," Kashi calmly countered. "Every soldier who picks up a sword is ready to die for the land they love. To pretend otherwise is an insult to their honor and name. These men have chosen to risk their lives to protect their homeland. Why do you wish to prevent them this honor? Or could it be you feel you are the only one worthy of saving the centaurs?"

Kashi's rebuke bit into the core of Darian's soul. The centaur prince's heartbeat quickened as realization dawned. Just what had he been doing this whole time? Darian let out a sigh and looked at the warriors. "You may follow. Please, your life is most important of all. You can only save others while you live. Do not forget that."

Kashi let out a smile. "Don't worry too much. As long as I'm here, you probably won't have to do much." This was not simple boasting on the daeben's part. Kashi had calculated the average strength of the common blight from Shadow and Larsial's battle.

As long as an anomaly like the marilith did not show up, Kashi was confident in clearing out any number of blights. This confidence was even more pronounced when he thought of the hundreds of arrows he bought from the centaurs.