Chapter 141: A Maggot's Pride (Season Finale)

Undisclosed Location

In an untamed land claimed by lost descendants of noble dragons lay a massive red dragon, steady breath releasing bursts of flames into the surrounding airs. The monsters of this land knew to stay clear of this majestic creature. Luckily, the dragon spent most of her time sleeping, only rising occasionally when a particular human dragged a tired, broken body up to receive healing.

This night, highly out of character, Xala suddenly sat up straight, distress and pain in her gaze as she looked toward the south. "Lucius," she whispered in a tongue unknown to man, breath ragged from the pain ravaging her chest. "What pains you so?"

Clang!

The sound of metal against rock drew Xala's attention to the cave's entrance from which an exhausted, bloody red-haired youth trudged. Dried blood formed hard, dark-red scale-like clots around his arms and feet, long, grown out hair, tied in a rough ponytail behind his back.

The youth balanced a makeshift spear made from a broken tooth and some bones on his lap as he took a seat on the hard earth. He grunted a greeting to Xala before immersing himself in meditation, replaying the past battles over and over again in his head while trying to figure out what he could improve.

Xala sighed as she examined the youth before her. Indeed the rate at which humans could change was just too appalling. That little boy who came to this island had transformed into a man in only a few weeks. She leaked a smile as she released a breath of mana from her nostrils.

Hektor let out a moan as the healing stream mended all his broken bones and repaired the damaged blood vessels. He paused his meditation, bowing to Xala as a sign of his gratefulness, then returned to meditation.

Xala sighed once again as she looked to the South. She could tell her friend was not in any danger, but this pain. She could only remember him suffering this much pain and rage at the same time once before. Xala's eyelids jumped. Could he have found out something about her? Was that it? The dragon trembled, suddenly feeling restless, but she could not abandon the duty set out for her.

Xala grumbled inwardly, resolutely settling down to watch the human's progress. Although she could not help him with issues of the heart, she could make the burdens in other parts of his life much less.

Back at Meilfour, no one was aware of a presence in that very room whose features were twisted with so much rage he had almost become unrecognizable

Back at Meilfour, no one was aware of a presence in that very room whose features were twisted with so much rage he had almost become unrecognizable. Clutching his left arm, Rider forced himself to calm down. It was not his place to interfere. He could not interfere.

Above Rine's bar, a massive delegation hovered proudly, the resplendent glow from dazzling robes bright enough to light up the entire town, in turn drawing attention for miles. The winged intruders drew their blades, golden sheens glistening in the moonlight, in stark contrast to the dread the screech of their blades wrought in all who heard them.