Chapter 52: Future Plans

Chercreek, Rosendun.

12th Mazem, 1092.

Denizens of Chercreek gathered around the blacksmith's shop, fighting for space in line.

"What's going on?"

"You don't know? This new group came into town last night, and their leader's unbelievable with a hammer. Says he'll only be here for a day, so everyone's putting up their weapons to be improved. Best get your ass moving or be left wanting."

The clamor was attested to the daeben plying his trade for a small pittance. The owner of the smithery, Garv, was content to let the boy work his magic as he had been promised a whopping sixty percent of all profits.

Not a bad deal at all, considering the number of customers pouring in.

Kashi looked up from his work to Garv. "You have my gratitude for granting me this favor."

"Haha, no way," Garv playfully refuted. "Hell, I feel I'm leaving you hard done. While you still have a ways to go in pure smithery, your innovative designs and ability to enchant your works rank you above me. It's quite rare that I have so many customers in a week, let alone a month."

"Not at all. Your equipment is the only reason I can produce such good works. I would pay a fortune to have a forge as good as this."

"Hahaha! Of course," Garv guffawed. "Everything from the stones to the fire-stones is rare after all!"

The daeben returned to his work, keeping his voice level as he asked, "Rare? But these don't look any different from regular stones."

"Well, of course. A Stone's still a stone regardless of where you get it."

"I imagine it must have been difficult obtaining such rare items."

Garv rubbed his rough beard, a smile curling up his face. "Yeah, it wasn't easy. I had to travel to Nux Xon. We were twice lucky just to make it there and back."

"Nux Xon? Isn't that in Merriheim?"

Garv raised a brow. "You know of it?"

"Only hearsay. I plan on traveling to Drakase in the coming weeks."

A shadow crossed the blacksmith's face. The room suddenly chilled despite the blazing heat from the forge. "I wouldn't do that if I were you," warned Garv. "Crossing into Merriheim has worsened over the years. Over the past five years, none have attempted entrance and returned alive."

Kashi's hammer hung over the sword. "But, a passage remains, I presume?"

Garv hesitated.

"I will go, with, or without your guidance."

"Argh, youth these days. Fine, do you have a map?" Garv conceded.

Kashi placed the hammer on the floor and retrieved a map from his inventory. "This is the most expensive map I could find in Kerta. Said to be accurate up to six months ago."

Garv took the map and spread it on a work table. "Then it is as good as useless outside Rosendun. Still," he pointed to the Rosendun's northeast borders. "The borders are accurate enough. The areas surrounding both borders is laden with very high-level monsters. By the Adventurers' Guild Monster Ranks, they should be in the range of 103 to 140... and most travel in packs. If you want to have a chance, you have to take Suvron's Pass. North of there is Suvron's Desert."

Kashi frowned at the land referred to as Suveon's desert. "Isn't that area too small to be considered a desert?"

"True. But it's only the first of many defenses the dwarfs set up to prevent entrance to Merriheim. Rumors speak of artificial suns that make the heat absolutely murderous. It may be small, but even if you somehow manage to survive the heat, and thwart the local wildlife, you'll be easy pickings for the dwarfs."