Chapter 14: Syèl Rifatora

Restricted Sector,

Building 5, Level 2,

Holding Cells.

7:45 a.m. Tuesday, 14th April 2043.

The door to Taiga's room slid open, and Akari walked in, anger evident in his furrowed brows. He looked at the chest-high wall of books and demanded of the young man who was somewhere in the chaos, "Where were you last night?"

The person in question raised his head from behind a wall of books. Taiga yawned, and wiped his droopy eyes as he replied, "I went for a walk." He scratched an annoying itch on his scalp and scowled. He really needed a shower. "You said I could leave if I finished reading these books in a week, right?"

"You're done?" Akari's eyes went wide, disbelief wiping away his anger. "That... This takes average humans months, if not years to finish."

Taiga sneered at Akari's stunned expression. "We both know I'm not average. Or would you like to test me?" He nonchalantly waved at the book piles. "Pick up any book."

Akari picked a random book and flipped to a page. He looked at Taiga and asked, "What does the third paragraph on page 185 of 'Prehistoric Darwin' say?"

Taiga wagged his finger with a sly grin. "Trick question. The entirety of pages 185 and 186 depict a diagram of an Argentinosaurus, the largest sauropod to be found to date with convincing evidence to back it up. It is named after arg—."

Akari raised his hand, stopping Taiga's tirade. "Yes, yes. You can stop now. Knowing you, you could probably go on forever." 'I knew he was advanced, but he has improved even further in the last few years.' Rubbing his temple, Akari sighed. "Follow the orderly outside. He will lead you to a bath and give you a fresh set of clothes."

"Ho? Ma—"

"No more games," Akari interjected with a serious glare. "I'm risking my job by releasing you. Do not make me regret it."

"I didn't kill anyone, did I?" Taiga jokingly protested with an innocent expression. "That's all the proof you need I'm going to be a good boy."

Akari shook his head and made his way out of the room. He called over his shoulder as the door slid shut, "When you are done, you will be taken to start the game."

Taiga's eyes shone with sparked intrigue. "Heh. Interesting."

Moments after Akari left, a guard walked into the room and beckoned Taiga to follow. The young man followed him, a sly grin creeping up the corners of his mouth.

While Taiga was getting prepared, across the compound someone else was faced with a terrible dilemma

While Taiga was getting prepared, across the compound someone else was faced with a terrible dilemma. It was a problem faced by many, with a straightforward solution, yet proved immensely challenging to the untrained.