Chapter 78: Remember Her Name

Deserun, Merriheim.

3rd Ryzul, 1092.

Cool breeze from the newly formed river streamed over Merriheim, fluttering gently, the sashes of a beautiful halben. She smiled as she tugged loose strands of hair behind her ear. "You're Kashi, right?"

Kashi's brows furrowed even deeper. He recognized that smirk. It was one that conveyed confidence and dominance. This woman, however she was, was directly challenging him. "Maybe. Who's asking?"

The halben's smirk widened in apparent amusement. "Who, indeed? That's a good question." She adjusted her grip on her relatively small staff – a fusion of wood headed by a dark green orb gripped by three 'claws'. "You're leaner than I expected," she remarked.

Kashi had no desire to fall for her obvious taunts, but he equipped his bow and arrows just in case. Against a mage, he was relatively naked otherwise. Even more, he could not readily discern her elemental attribute. He had not faced enough foes to gain a significant resistance to magic, let alone individual elements. "What's it to you?"

The mage's eyes narrowed. "No~thing. Just wanted to test you for a bit."

Kashi's muscles tensed. "What do you me—" BZZZT! He just barely dove out of the way as an arc of green electricity smashed into the earth. He rolled to his knees, noting the charred earth from the corner of his eyes. "A little rough for a test, wouldn't you say?" He remarked as he sized her up.

The girl held an approving smile. "Good reaction. The rumors might hold some grain of truth, after all." Sparked by her mana, the staff's orb was now a bright jade...

Jade ?

Jade!

Her mannerisms, the words she'd used as a greeting... Kashi's eyes widened as recognition dawned. "Jade!?"

She smiled. "You finally recognize me. A bit faster than I'd hoped, though."

Kashi rose to full height, muscles relaxing. "That was a bit harsh as a joke."

"Who said I was joking?" Jade chuckled and then winked.

Bzzt!

Kashi frantically backpedaled as arcs of electricity smashed the ground before him without pause. He back-flipped onto the top of the fountain, then jumped as the edifice exploded beneath him. Spin, kick!

The fragments burst out of the dust and charged the surprised mage. But the arcs of electricity reduced them to dust. Seven arrows tore through, faster, and deadlier with Drill activated.

Jade, however, showed absolutely no sign of panic. She fell to a knee and slammed her staff into the ground, shaft burying into the earth. A burst of green electricity supercharged the air around her, then burst out. The arrows shattered against the protective shield's greater force.

The doors to the mansion burst open as the remaining dust settled.

The dueling pair locked gazes through spraying waters, each planning their next course of action.

"Kashi!" Lunette called.

"Kash!" Hektor screamed once he'd gathered the situation. His charge was stopped by the daeben's raised hand.

"I've got this," Kashi said.

"Sure about that?" Jade taunted as she rose to her feet. Her staff remained planted in the ground sustaining the translucent gas-like dome shield. "Shouldn't really stand near water, you know?"

Arcs of electricity shot out of the fountain's streams.

Kashi expertly meandered through, as if he'd been expecting the skill. The waters exploded as he tore through, five arrows ahead of him, then another seven after he passed.