Chapter 118: Jerxas

Chapter 35

Merriheim's Left Claw.

15th Muriel, 1093.

Under the pale moonlight, the crashing of waves against the shore punctuated the back and forth pacing of an irritated figure on the hard earth, periodically cursing under his breath. At least a thousand men in black armor stood silently between him and the river, postures so rigid one could be forgiven for mistaking them for statues.

The figure's steps paused, flaming red eyes, revealing an impatient spark as they gazed toward the horizon where several silhouettes appeared on an overlooking hill. The sparks cooled somewhat as a sultry figure wrapped her arms around him from behind.

"These fools were hesitating for so long," Larsial commented with a slight smirk, purple eyes drawn to narrow slits as she peered at the approaching army, "but the second the [Pillar of Creation] shows up, they rush forward so gleefully."

Ruse snorted, arms folded. "Hmph, human greed remains the greatest motivator." A slight smile played on his lips as he considered the irony of this situation, "I owe that stupid daeben a debt. Without him, it would have taken longer to unite this forsaken land. After all, we cannot indiscriminately kill anymore."

"The last generation had all the fun," Larsial pouted as she rubbed her cheeks against Ruse's. "Our generation's relying too much on subterfuge and tricks."

Ruse chuckled as his mood lifted. "Funny you would say that. Is it not precisely because of our paradigm shift that you have swiftly climbed the ranks? If I had not become a primate just before the war ended, I would have stalled like all major combat-related professions right now."

"Hehe," Larsial chuckled, though the laughter did not reach her eyes, which were peeled at the approaching figures.

Sheri Orthana led the nearly three-four-thousand strong army, a provoking glint in her gaze. Unfortunately, her army heavily paled compared to the thousand-strong army behind Ruse, resembling more a band of mercenaries than the well-drilled machine-like structure of the men behind the Primate.

Ruse did not pay any attention to the approaching halben. Her desire to show off her prowess was an utterly repulsive sight for someone with real power like himself. "Speaking of subterfuge, what have you gathered on the daeben?" Ruse's demanding tone displayed his complete belief in her abilities.

Larsial, who recognized this, grinned as she released her hold around his neck and stood to his side. "My friends witnessed the birth of the weapon. It seemed to be a bow containing tremendous power. Unfortunately, he has not used it in real combat yet, so I cannot guess their properties."

"Any changes to the walls?"

"No changes," Larsial confirmed. "There does not seem to be anything special about them aside from being extremely thick. It would take a lot for a regular army to break through." She cast an admiring gaze at the Primate. "A normal army, of course."

"And his companions?" Ruse asked, her face darkening as he remembered the blue-haired beauty who pushed his clone to its death.

Larsial's eyes narrowed. "The songstress has been assisting the construction workers with her songs. The blood mage, electric healer, assassin, and swordswoman have been clearing out the monsters in the middle ring with help from Asha's army."

"Asha?" Ruse's brow rose slightly. "She is still with them? Don't tell me she is joining his side?" He frowned, considering the consequences of such a possibility. "I knew this daeben was strong, but it seems we have to reevaluate him. He seems to possess leadership qualities too. Even more than strong individuals, it is leaders we need to fear the most."