Chapter 56: Secret in the Canyon

Meilfour

27th Mazem, 1092.

The entire populace of Meilflour stared, slack-jawed at the barely visible tower many miles away.

"Ha.. ha.. ha." Shadow's short laughter was riddled with disbelief. He shared a look with his sister. "...You don't think?"

Lunette sighed and shook her head. "I can almost bet it is him."

"Heeh?" Syel interrupted. "Who're we talking about?"

Lunette warily eyed the sneering halben. She did not trust this man, but there was no time to waste if Kashi indeed was responsible for the tower rising. "Never mind that. You said you were interested in joining our quest?"

Syèl's eyes widened with interest. "Yeah... So? You offering?"

Lunette held out her hand. "My name is Lunette Falsetto. This is my brother Shadow, and our merchant, Miote."

Syel firmly grabbed the outstretched hand. "Name's Syel." He then jerked a rude thumb at his Shokō and introduced, "The broad's Prince."

Pa!

Shoko smacked him upside the head and then sent Lunette an apologetic glance. "My apologies for his rudeness. Yes, we would be overjoyed if you added us to your party."

Lunette chuckled. "It is fine. I understand. Here, I just sent the invitation."

Syel and Shoko accepted the quest and were subsequently pleased to see it was a high-level one.

Miote brought the horses around. "Well then, I suppose we better get a move on."

The party mounted their horses and rode off toward the designated location.

Couple hours Earlier,

Suvron's Pass

Huff...

Kashi let out a silent breath as he opened his eyes. Not that it made a difference. Darkness remained constant, whether he was asleep or awake. Luckily, even without his sight, he could sense Kira's breathing a few feet from him.

"You're finally awake," Kira called.

Kashi sat up and then stretched. "How long was I asleep?"

"Three hours give or take."

It had been three or so days since their fall. After the first battle, they found that enemies kept attacking them from the same direction at regular intervals. Following this discovery, Kashi and Kira planned their sleep cycles around ambushes, each taking turns to watch guard as the other heals.

Kashi estimated that if he had gotten three hours of sleep, then the next ambush should occur very soon. He appreciated the battles. With each one, he acquired real battle experience for [Mind's Eye]. He was now comfortable enough to fight with it, and his next object was to level the skill to improve its range and accuracy.