Chapter 207: Who I Am

Redmont Manor,

Serisis.

7:49 p.m. 18th Banem 1092.

"I'm an A.I."

Lunette's confession rang like hammer against wood, sending the room into a tense silence. The songstress's hands trembled as she struggled to hide her growing unease and fear, prompting her to turn away from Kashi in fear of seeing his reaction. Despite convincing herself otherwise, it appeared Lunette did not truly believe Kashi wouldn't have an adverse reaction to her bombshell.

The silence continued for a while longer, each moment increasing Lunette's panic. Luckily, just before her nerves frayed altogether, someone grabbed her shaking hands. Lunette looked up to see Kashi standing in front of her, lips inched up in a somewhat sad smile.

"You were honest with me," Kashi said as he closed his hands around hers and then looked into her eyes. "Now, it's my turn." The daeben took a deep breath. "I do not care that you are an A.I. I like to—no," he remarked with a shake of his head, and then continued, "I want to believe that there's more to us than what those who made us intended. No, that's not it, either. I need to believe we are more than our whatever our creators intended."

"Creators?" Lunette muttered, brow raised in confusion. "No way. It can't be," she exclaimed as he covered her mouth with her hands. "Are you an A.I too?"

Thwack!

"Of course not!" Kashi rebuked with a snort as he stretched his hand into a knife and playfully chopped Lunette's head. "But, to be honest, I am not so sure it is much better." The daeben took a deep breath and then said, "You know how I always refer to the 'me' in the real world by Suzuki?"

"Mhmm," confirmed Lunette with a nod as she massaged her head. "I thought it was weird but didn't want to pry."

"I see. It was that obvious, huh?" Kashi murmured as he turned around and looked at his reflection in the obsidian mirror. Lunette had done an impressive job with his hair, choosing to cut down the sides and combing the middle back in a sleek waterfall that fell below the daeben's shoulders. The hairstyle fit nicely with the daeben's sleeveless dress code, adding a roguish aura and charm to his profile.

Kashi acknowledged his reflection with a brief smile and then, steeling his resolve, turned around and faced Lunette once again. The daeben drew in a deep breath and began confessing, "Truth is, I am only a split personality created by Suzuki to help with a trauma he experienced as a child."

Lunette's eyes widened in shock, but she immediately recalled what Kashi told Rider about him being Razznik. "...Razznik?"

"Yes," confirmed Kashi. "Razznik was also a split personality made by Kashi. He was created to aid Suzuki deal with his endless rage. When his mission was complete, Razznik had to die." The daeben fell silent as he stared at his hands, "One day. I, too, will have to die when my mission is complete." Kashi let out a bitter smile as he continued, "Do you want to know the worst part?"

"What?"

"I don't feel at all bad about this," Kashi revealed. "I have accepted that one day I will die like it's a natural cycle of life. It's the only restriction placed in us by Suzuki to prevent a situation where we try to fight him for supremacy of the body." The daeben looked at Lunette and said with a light shrug, "Since you're honest, I thought I should let you know. I can die at any time, without warning. Initially, I didn't care at all. But for some reason, I find myself concerned about how you'd feel when I eventually die."

Kashi sighed as he muttered, "I think I finally understand how Razznik felt. Wonder if I'll feel the same when I di—".

"Stop!" Lunette yelled, nearly causing Kashi to jump in shock. Tears brimmed in the songstress' eyes as she punched him and complained, "Why do you keep talking about death so nonchalantly? Who says you're going to die?"